Post-Game Talk: Ooh Baby Almost A Comeback! Leafs 4, Jets 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Imo, Gardiner has played his worst hockey defnsively this year in the past month. I get the sense that he's trying to assume the veteran role on his current pairing with Rielly. He looks like he's thinking too much in his own end and he is slow to react a number of times. Gardiner should not be the guy with the most experience on his D pairing at this point in time. He still needs to learn a lot.

Just to clarify.....it is Rielly that is being played like the Vet as he is the one who is playing his weak side...

They are not the most physical pairing but easily the only pairing that can and does get the puck up the ice in a hurry with either skating or a good first pass.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Rielly/Gardiner is still my favourite pairing to have on the ice, though Franson looks 'better' paired with Gleason than he has in a while. I still don't like Dion/Franson together on the PP though.

Otherwise we would have been a basement team gearing up for the draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20132014&sort=regulationPlusOvertimeWins&type=LEA

There would be a lot of things that would play out differently if regulation and overtime wins (and, presumably, ties) were the only ways to earn points.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
What I'd like to see in the next game...

van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Holland-Leivo
Raymond-Kadri-Lupul
Broll/Ashton-McClement-Bodie

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gleason-Franson (give less defensive zone starts to Franson)
Gardiner-Rielly

Kadri and Lupul have been having a rough year. We should consider playing them in a more sheltered 3rd scoring line role. While we promote Peter Holland to the 2nd line and call up Josh Leivo from the Marlies.

Kulemin has seen his play improve now that he's on a 2nd scoring line and his offensive zone starts are going up while his defensive zone starts are dialed down.

We need to dial back the defensive assignments for Cody Franson. 40.9% of the face-offs that Franson are on the ice for are taken in the defensive zone while only 25.7% are taken from the offensive zone. Franson has no business playing that kind of role for the team. I think Phaneuf-Gunnarsson should take more of that burden (while Franson takes on some of their offensive zone starts) or have Gleason paired with Gardiner/Phaneuf/Gunnarsson for some of those defensive assignments.

On the 4th line, Colton Orr needs to go. I would like to see David Broll called up from the Marlies. Though Carter Ashton has been playing well on the 4th line as of late too.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
At one point we were tied with them when they had 3 games on us.

Improvements! ;)

If you took the winner point out of OT/SO (e.g. games ended in ties), Montreal would be up 8 points on us at the end of the season (based on current point%). If you take the loser point out of OT/SO, they'd be up 2-4 points at season's end. That being said, if we took the winner point out, we'd miss the playoffs, because there would be a 5-way tie with Montreal (for 5th in the conference), and two other teams 4 points back.

The East is a total logjam right now and we are the beneficiary of extra time points this year, which gives us the edge in that logjam.

good thing theyre not gonna magically take out the loser point half way through the year eh

I remember people being excited about Gustavsson and Toskala as well.

Reimer fits more with those two goalies than Bernier does.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
What I'd like to see in the next game...

van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Holland-Leivo
Raymond-Kadri-Lupul
Broll/Ashton-McClement-Bodie

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gleason-Franson (give less defensive zone starts to Franson)
Gardiner-Rielly

Kadri and Lupul have been having a rough year. We should consider playing them in a more sheltered 3rd scoring line role. While we promote Peter Holland to the 2nd line and call up Josh Leivo from the Marlies.

Kulemin has seen his play improve now that he's on a 2nd scoring line and his offensive zone starts are going up while his defensive zone starts are dialed down.

We need to dial back the defensive assignments for Cody Franson. 40.9% of the face-offs that Franson are on the ice for are taken in the defensive zone while only 25.7% are taken from the offensive zone. Franson has no business playing that kind of role for the team. I think Phaneuf-Gunnarsson should take more of that burden (while Franson takes on some of their offensive zone starts) or have Gleason paired with Gardiner/Phaneuf/Gunnarsson for some of those defensive assignments.

On the 4th line, Colton Orr needs to go. I would like to see David Broll called up from the Marlies. Though Carter Ashton has been playing well on the 4th line as of late too.

Lol, we just came of the biggest winning streak of a decade, and getting 5 of an 8 possible points on a road trip, but lets replace half the lineup with rookies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
good thing theyre not gonna magically take out the loser point half way through the year eh

I love how other teams have been exploiting the extra point for year and no one cared, including New Jersey who went all the way to the finals doing so. But Toronto's doing it? Now it's an issue.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Lol, we just came of the biggest winning streak of a decade, and getting 5 of an 8 possible points on a road trip, but lets replace half the lineup with rookies.
We had a 7-1 blowout vs Dallas. And it's a bit unfair to blame Reimer/Bernier for Winnipeg when Winnipeg did out-shoot us and out-Fenwick us (we did out-Corsi them at least. But a ton of our shots were getting blocked and not heading towards the goal). Reimer/Bernier didn't have a good sv%. But neither did Pavelec or whatever his name is... When our sv% is crap, it's our goalies fault. When the sv% of the other team is crap, it's because our shooters are awesome. That is the logic in Leafs world.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Instead of being a fan boy of either goalies, I think retaining Reimer is a good idea. Neither of the two seem capable enough to be the sole goaltender IMO.

Simply put, we're riding on one extremely dangerous top line and a top pairing that takes tough minutes. I don't see any significant depth scoring on our team unlike virtually every other contender. If we don't rectify that, we're going to have problems.

mikebel111*

We had a 7-1 blowout vs Dallas. And it's a bit unfair to blame Reimer/Bernier for Winnipeg when Winnipeg did out-shoot us and out-Fenwick us (we did out-Corsi them at least. But a ton of our shots were getting blocked and not heading towards the goal). Reimer/Bernier didn't have a good sv%. But neither did Pavelec or whatever his name is... When our sv% is crap, it's our goalies fault. When the sv% of the other team is crap, it's because our shooters are awesome. That is the logic in Leafs world.

Raymond and kadri suck together.
Kadri does much better with kuli, and we should change it?
No way in heck. Kadri and kuli stay
And kadri has been great past few games. Why should he be demoted? Kadri stays as 2nd line C. If anything drop lupul and put ashton on 2nd line

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As I stated in the pregame thread, I thought this game would be a barn burner and it was. These two teams don't really like each other, starting with the Captains of both teams.

I was at the game (STH for the Jets) and it was entertaining to watch. Both teams had some sloppy play, giveaways and questionable goaltending. But it was competitive and entertaining to watch. As a Jets fan and a Leafs fan it was fun.

Good game to be at, lots of Leafs fans at the game (guessing about 3000), both fan bases were very vocal. All in good fun.

There was taunting of Reimer, boos for DP, but no Leafs Suck chants for the first time (the one New Years Eve Leafs/Jets game it was very vocal, not a good night to be a Leafs fan that night in the MTS building, Leafs fans were given a very hard time). DP was taunted by both the Jets players (during the TV break afterwards) and fans when he completely bailed on the one play in the corner and he left the puck when he saw Buff closing in on him (that was kinda funny).

Overall great game and even better rivalry between the two teams, can't ask for anything more. Let's hope both teams keep it up and end the season on a high note (whatever that might be). Look forward to seeing many more Leaf/Jets games in the future.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If Reimer fits with them, then Bernier belongs in the same category as Raycroft.

Except Bernier doesn't play the same style as Raycroft does and posted better result than Raycroft ever posted as a leaf.

The only reason why people like you even draw comparison to Toskala, Gustavsson (which is ridiculous) is because of some of the goals he allows.

I don't care how many soft goals Bernier allows as long as he gives us a chance to win. (Which he does)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I was at this game, so here're a few notes/observances:

Reimer: Played okayish, got some bad bounces, and he's letting some bad habits creep back into his game (not getting the arms tight to the torso). Overall, his play is better than his last two results. But Carlyle made a mistake keeping him in net after the 2nd goal.

Sometimes, you pull the goalie to shake up the team, and that was the moment. That 2nd goal sucked the life out of the team, and the Jets crowd surged, so at the very least a timeout should've been called.

Mason Raymond: Although he's not getting points, I like his game. He's one of the better Leafs at zone entry and he seems to be a part of a lot of Leafs' chances. Once that 2nd scoring line is Lupul - Bolland - Raymond, the team will be a lot better offensively.

Dion Phaneuf: His play defensively is stable, his offensive chances are okay... he's trying to do too much in some areas and not enough in others. I see too many opportunities for Dion to lay the boom and he doesn't go for it. It's infuriating as a fan. The Leafs should trade for Volchenkov just to get a vet to tell Phaneuf when to go for it and when not to...

Phil Kessel: Skates like there's a 500lb bag of pucks on his shoulders. Head down, like he's dead-tired after a power-skating drill... But when he gets the puck, he's on fire. By comparison, Troy Bodie skated his ass-off forechecking and backchecking. Obviously the talent isn't comparible, but Kessel isn't putting in the 100% effort.

He also could at least pretend to body check... even coasting into the guy... I'm torn, because I feel like we get good production out of him, but I just can't help feeling that Kessel has a whole other dimension to his game that's just never been tapped. Sorta like Jeremy Roenick if he'd never met up with Mike Keenan.

Gardiner-Reilly pairing: I have to laud Carlyle for this because that pair create a lot of chances but they also make a lot of mistakes. Carlyle will probably die of a heart-attack soon. This pairing takes a lot of cohones. That said, the improvisation these guys do makes a lot a basic plays fall flat. The forwards never seem able to forecheck because they never have a clue what type of zone entry scheme these guys will try. As a result, when Rielly/Gards bail on a direct zone entry and dump it in, the forwards are always standing still at the blue line and never recover the puck...

But these guys a ninjas on the ice with their speed. Can't relate how many times I thought one would be caught out of position because of a bad pinch and yet it's like they teleport back to the blue line because boom, their right back into the chase...

Bernier: My wife was a huge Reimer fan, and very disappointed that we acquired Bernier. Here's a quote from her when they put Bernier in after teh 4th goal:"About ****ing time. They should've had Bernier in net the whole game."

McClement and surrounding cast (Orr, Bodie, and Ashton):
The guy behind me (also a Leaf fan) was bemused by how often these guys were on the ice, yet they were the best group most of the night. The Jets were really thrown off their game by the physical play and made a lot of turnovers as a result. Unfortunately, the line lacks the scoring touch to finish, but they definitely fought hard and helped the team.

Home-away-from-home: There were quite a few Leaf fans present, and we even drowned out a lot of the "Go Jets Go" chanting with "Go Leafs Go", and in the third period even got a GLG chant going that rivaled anything the Jets fans did all game long. It's really too bad they moved the Jets to the Western Conference... I died a little inside when I found out that meant just one Leaf appearance per season.

Summary: All in all, not a super great game by the Leafs, the only good Jets' goals were the PP by Wheeler and Byfuglien's OT winner. Subpar play in front of the goaltender lead to an early deficit. The team lacks confidence in front of Reimer.

Extra Notes: In OT, a min or so before Byfuglien's goal, the Jet fan beside me saw Kane get onto the ice and said: "Just watch, Kane is going to end it on this shift." A few seconds later, Kane zinged a wrister of the post. I've said it in the past, but if the Jets are looking at moving him, the Leafs have to be in on the trade talks. Age-wise he fits the core and he's going to be a real gem over the next decade and more.

This was the first game attended by one of the newest Leaf fans, my son, Cohen. He's 4-months-old (and a few days) and he loved the game (despite being lulled into a sleep in the last 5 minutes of the 1st period/intermission). Once the game got going again in the 2nd he was up and watching the whole time (except whenever my wife thought there might be a goal because we didn't have any earmuffs to dampen the sound.

All in all, it was a great game to attend. Hopefully we will one day see a Leafs/Jets SCF. Ah, but to dream...

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Thought we were lucky to get anything. The Jets had some really good chances to bury us and just narrowly missed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad