One Trick Pony players. Amazing at one thing.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Rico Fata was the fastest straight line skater I have ever seen. I actually think he was faster than Mcdavid in terms of just straight line speed only. Everything else including making moves at high speed, he was terrible at.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I used to get so excited watching Alex Semin absolutely wire pucks. That guy had a cannon blast at his disposal.

Martin Frk can wire it too but cannot even get a spot in the NHL.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Brett Hull. Some even think he was better than Kurri, but I don't see it considering his overall game.
I don't think players like Brett Hull apply here.

You need more than an excellent shooting arsenal to be a top tier goalscorer, he had very good hockey sense, not in the playmaker sense, but just getting open, escaping defenders etc.

Elite players imo are almost always automatically disqualified from this topic

Reactions: Keke and BagHead

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think players like Brett Hull apply here.

You need more than an excellent shooting arsenal to be a top tier goalscorer, he had very good hockey sense, not in the playmaker sense, but just getting open, escaping defenders etc.

Elite players imo are almost always automatically disqualified from this topic
Hull was actually an excellent passer as well. His overall offensive IQ was really incredible.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Alex Formenton - Speed
Manny Maholtra - Faceoffs
Nate Thompson - Faceoffs

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Of current players, Hoffman and Victor Olofsson can shoot the emblem off the puck but that's about it.

I think Olofsson qualifies more here.

Hoffman at his peak was a really good playmaker/passer and was extremely good in transition.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Zegras- The Michigan

Jussi Jokinen-Shootouts

Pavelski- deflections (not a one trick pony but whatever)

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I used to get so excited watching Alex Semin absolutely wire pucks. That guy had a cannon blast at his disposal.
I remember a bunch of people saying that Semin was actually more skilled than Ovi (and this includes a bunch of Russian media) but lacked the work ethic to do anything with it, which is why Ovi became the Great 8 while Semin became "the other Alex" during their time in Washington.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Based on what I could find, he had a total of 2,044 blocked shots in his career and had career earnings of about $32,600,000.

That means he was paid $15,950 per blocked shot. Doesn't sound dumb to me. Sounds like a smart but underskilled player who found a way to make his paper imo.
My comment was meant as a joke. Willingly stepping in front of so many one timers or slapshots from the point takes a special kind of person.
You couldn't pay me to do that :laugh:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Nate 'Face off, get off' Thompson

Martin Frk and shooting the puck

Cody Ceci at convincing GMs he's a good hockey player.

McDavid at hockey.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Teemu Pulkkinen and his shot. Absolute laser when he had the time to get it off. Absolutely nothing else he could do well at even an AHL level. If he had just average skating ability or a teeny bit quicker wind up (without losing all accuracy) he could have been a very good NHL PP guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad