Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs likely re-sign Savard. Long-term gives them Reinbacher, Mailloux, Savard on right side. Left side be Guhle, Hutson, Wifi. Struble 7th d-man. That should be good defense

Reactions: jfhabs

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Ceci might very well have value again come TDL. Even more likely if the Sharks are willing to retain. Teams are aiming high during the summer and most of the contenders are cap strap after signing their top guns. Which makes depth guys like Ceci very unattractive to them. It's another story come TDL. They then use all the remaining cap they have to acquire depth guys.

Sharks can't retain on Ceci as they are out of retention spots. They would need to get a third team to retain. Probably ends up looking like a 2nd and a 4th for Ceci, with the 4th going to team 3 for the retention, if Ceci plays well enough during the season.

Reactions: pth2 and jfhabs

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Habs likely re-sign Savard. Long-term gives them Reinbacher, Mailloux, Savard on right side. Left side be Guhle, Hutson, Wifi. Struble 7th d-man. That should be good defense
until reinbacher, mailloux and hutson are ready to form a GOOD d-unit (on the nhl level), savard might no longer is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see Hughes making that move. Savard and Matheson are our only two vets on D. If Hutson makes our roster, Savard is who he will be paired up with. Without Savard, the pairing become challenging in terms of the Habs trying to move up the standings.

Those fans who say Savard is not that good are ignorant. Don't even watch Habs games and all they see is some stay at home D man who is getting older. If Savard is available at the next TDL, he will get lots of interest and rightfully so. He is very smart and knows how to play the position well... especially for playoffs style hockey.

A move I see Hughes doing is taking a 1 year cap dump for a pick. But then I wonder, how much is it important to have Price placed on LTIR after the season starts (not before). I think this is something the Habs prefer so maybe we end up making a trade like this in season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think they decide this sometime in Jan/Feb (right before the TDL). If the Habs are in the playoff bubble, Savard stays for the rest of the season. If we are not in the mix, Savard will be traded.

Savard extending? I'm sure the Habs are interested but term/AAV will have to line up for both the Habs and Savard. If Savard wants to stay and be part of something special, there is room for him. If Savard wants to get the most term/AAV he can get, we let him do that with another team.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think they decide this sometime in Jan/Feb (right before the TDL). If the Habs are in the playoff bubble, Savard stays for the rest of the season. If we are not in the mix, Savard will be traded.

Savard extending? I'm sure the Habs are interested but term/AAV will have to line up for both the Habs and Savard. If Savard wants to stay and be part of something special, there is room for him. If Savard wants to get the most term/AAV he can get, we let him do that with another team.
Savard 34, no doubt it be short term contract. If he wants more, usually quality bottom pairing UFA available

Reactions: Habs Halifax

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Savard to Edmonton for both the St Louis offer sheet picks is a reasonable deal. Assuming the Habs are again TDL sellers.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Was that a good idea on Floridas part ? Also you doubling down on your Ceci for a 1 st being a good trade stance ? Or we gonna walk that back ?
If you had traded for Savard last year you would win the cup. Low cost really if he's difference in a cup.

We got unprotected first and a 4th for Chiarot. Savard types have sky high value at deadline.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I don't think Savard has the cache that Chiarot had at the time of his trade.

Chiarot was coming off playing top pairing and highest TOI on a run to the finals. He ragdolled Matthews on national TV. GMs ate that up.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
If you had traded for Savard last year you would win the cup. Low cost really if he's difference in a cup.

We got unprotected first and a 4th for Chiarot. Savard types have sky high value at deadline.
He wasn’t a difference maker for Tampa 4 years ago ( won despite him being very meh - that’s flattering his play ) so why would he be one now ? Hes gotten worse not better . Are you suggesting Savard on the Leafs equals cup last year ? Is that what I’m reading ? That along with the Ceci claim is well … something.

Chariot, Monahan, Savard.

Dont argue, just accept that it will happen.
Difference being Monahan can actually still play. The Chariot deal is one of the worst in recent memory so hardly a template

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad