One Trick Pony players. Amazing at one thing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
At the NHL level, Ville Peltonen's skill that really stuck out was fighting fire engines

Tomi Kallio was inexplicably good in the corners. Once the concussions came, he was not good enough for the NHL as he couldn't do his trick.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Zegras- The Michigan

Jussi Jokinen-Shootouts

Pavelski- deflections (not a one trick pony but whatever)
Jussi was more a jack-of-all trades. Slot him in on any line and he can do an alright job. Decent playmaker, quite good two-way player.

Antti Pihlström

A lot of speedsters seem to have issues with knowing what to do with that speed.
Luis Mendoza syndrome

Reactions: CashMash and DaveG

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
petri skriko scored at least 30 goals 4 times with a wrongfoot release hard wrist shot that 80s goalies could not pick up in time.

he was a gamer but also an undersized not physical winger with average skating.

Reactions: DaveG and mattihp

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Kevin Bieksa's fighting prowess. Absolutely serviceable 3-4 defenseman; but when he fought it was the same thing and it worked almost every time. Quick Jab/Rabbit punch and down goes [insert player here]

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Chad Kilger was the first that came to mind for me. Absolute howitzer of a slapshot, unofficially broke the record for speed. Not very good at anything else.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Kevin Bieksa's fighting prowess. Absolutely serviceable 3-4 defenseman; but when he fought it was the same thing and it worked almost every time. Quick Jab/Rabbit punch and down goes [insert player here]
Not even top 20 fighter for me. Jeff Chychrun would be the fighting prowness with nothing else to offer for a dman. Dave Brown another one who KO'd a ton of guys in his day but was barely a hockey player.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Not even top 20 fighter for me. Jeff Chychrun would be the fighting prowness with nothing else to offer for a dman. Dave Brown another one who KO'd a ton of guys in his day but was barely a hockey player.
He wasn't a pure fighter. Never suggested it. But when he fought, that was his thing. Jab/rabbit punch. Down goes his opponent. When that didn't work it would always result in a wrestling match but his list of fights sees that exact move done every possible chance he got

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Matt Cooke and his ability to seriously injure players and not face any discipline in regards. Coincidentally this magically disappeared once he left Pittsburgh (the attempt to injure players).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wasn't Tim Kerr also really good at face-offs? I seem to remember this.

As someone said, players like Brett Hull and Steve Stamkos should not be mentioned here. Yeah, their shots are all-time great and overshadow other skills, but they did have other 1st-line level (if not elite) skills. (Stamkos could really fly before his leg injury and is a good passer on the P.P.; Hull had overall great hockey IQ.)

Yanic Perreault is a good mention. Mr. Face-off.

Laine is an interesting one. My first reaction was akin to Stamkos and Hull... but then, after thinking about it, I realized that it's kind of true. Honestly, if Laine didn't have that super-hard, accurate shot, would he have survived this long in the NHL? I tend to think not. HIs size and reach would have given him advantages to get a chance... but today, without his shot, I think he's in the AHL.

Maybe Ryan McLeod? One of the greatest skaters you'll ever see. No hands, and zero physical game. (In fairness, he's a good penalty killer, but that sort of skill is more easily replaceable.)

Reactions: DaveG

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Matthews. One of the best in scoring goals ever.

Other than that, a generic big wimp with a purse.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Leo Komorov and hitting. Not even particularly great hits, but holy shit it’s like all he’d do is go out there and hit. I love hitting and it was actually frustrating watching him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Torrey Mitchell - scoring goals with under 2 minutes left in the 2nd period of a home game.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Cody Eakin came here for two things- to push Pavelski over and to win faceoffs. He’s all outta Pavelskis, so the dot it is.

Reactions: DaveG

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Matt Cooke and his ability to seriously injure players and not face any discipline in regards. Coincidentally this magically disappeared once he left Pittsburgh (the attempt to injure players).
No he was still a dirty ass pos hockey "player" when he infected the Wild roster. Allegedly a real good person, but just unapologetic trash on the ice.
Ovechkin played NHL hockey before the 2011-2012 season
Okay ?

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
No he was still a dirty ass pos hockey "player" when he infected the Wild roster. Allegedly a real good person, but just unapologetic trash on the ice.
You didn’t hear much about his antics once he went to Minnesota though. I’m still amazed they let him claim accident on the Karlsson incident. Then again the DOPS is inept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad