Oilers Win the Draft Lottery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Lol @ everyone saying McDavid didn't look happy. People say the same thing every year about the guy who's picked first. Some of you live in a fantasy world.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Everyone always ***** on the oilers for the 1st overall picks in recent years. But it's been said by everyone every time it's debated, the 1st overall picks that they got during those years were some of the worst ever. The oilers happened to suck at the worst possible time regarding upcoming talent.

Plus, no one wants to play here in edmonton, it's near impossible to attract good players to our market, regarding the city itself, it's location, how poorly the team is managed, and how poorly it performs.

This is a very nice reward.

54toscore

Oct 12, 2006
So do I, and I'm a statistician. I'll admit I haven't researched their exact methodology. However, assuming the pre randomized probabilities were actually used, it's almost impossible for the last 10 or so teams to retain their draft position. How the f did they randomize this?

I/we must be missing something, else it looks rigged.

And :laugh: at EDM getting yet another #1 :rolly:

As a statistician you should damn well know that you need to understand the method before performing any analysis. NHL draft works like this: one team is selected and that team moves up to first overall. All other teams are bumped down one slot. Hence the results.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
You guys realise everybody will hate the Oilers now right ? Anything they ever win will be tainted. But at least they didn't intentionally tank like Buffalo.

Oh you'll be in bed before EDM games start anyways. Sleep tight. :sarcasm:

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Its obviously not rigged. If it was, it would have been for Arizona. As a Leafs fan, I am bummed of course, but as a Hockey fan, this is clearly the worst place for McDavid. It was pretty clear from his interviews, Toronto was his favourite team and was his dream, Buffalo was basically his home for the past 4 years and his second family are Buffalo fans, and his friends Dukes and Domi are in Arizona which would have been nice. I'm sure he is close with Nurse too because of WJC but it clearly wouldn't have been his first choice.

Does he pull a Lindros? No, I do not believe a 1st overall will ever do that again.

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am just happy Buffalo did not win

Sabres fans can correct me on this--but nearly every move they made in the last 20 months was all about trying to draft Mcdavid--I have a problem with that. They were open about their plans atleast--I will give them that.

The NHL wanted to change the draft this time around--but the Sabres fault tooth and nail to have the changes take place next year

Nearly every move was made with the future in mind, and coming in last to guarantee a top flight prospect. Everyone in Buffalo, from the organization to the fans, knew that McDavid was a 1 in 5 chance.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
What happens if he doesn't sign ELC? How much years has he got to play in Juniors or in KHL until Oilers lose his rights? :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not sure why the hate for Edmonton. They TRIED to put together a team this year and be better. Rather see them win McDavid than any team that for 2 years made it a plan to win this draft.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Four first overall picks in a single decade. Unbelievable.

There's still 5 more years from our first #1 to get to a decade.
Wonder if we could get 3 more?

Lol they just showed them packing up the cards to take out to Daly..bettman looked like he threw up in his mouth a bit.

No way it was fixed.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
So do I, and I'm a statistician. I'll admit I haven't researched their exact methodology. However, assuming the pre randomized probabilities were actually used, it's almost impossible for the last 10 or so teams to retain their draft position. How the f did they randomize this?

I/we must be missing something, else it looks rigged.

And :laugh: at EDM getting yet another #1 :rolly:

Only one team wins the lottery, nobody else's draft position changes unless they win or move down one spot.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Well, at least we're going to have a lot of hockey talent in Alberta over the next few years.

That look on McDavid's face made it all too clear that he knew what his worst case scenario was.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
The amount of ******** in this thread is so tasty.

:laugh:

Please. I don't care what the Oilers do or don't do, I just find it sad and a waste of talent. I sincerely hope you turn it around because these kids deserve so much more.

Vast majority of us see it that way I bet. I don't understand that you guys don't tbh. Why does another first overall and a perhaps generational talent deserve to wind up there? You can't possibly think it's the right place for him. You're just greedy.

At least a few of the kids being wasted will probably be moved for vets/defense/goaltending now, so there's a silver lining.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Guys I have a confession:

I did this.

I was looking at the Sharks forum to see if anyone else was as nervous as I was about 45 minutes before the lottery, and saw no new posts.

Then I hit back and saw a thread in the Pacific section entitled "McSaviour" with a new post. I clicked it, realized I was on the Oilers forum and chuckled to myself, "ha, it would be such a shame if they won".

I did this and I feel so guilty.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
oh **** off, but haha sabres

That's just a dumb comment. The Sabres are nowhere near the ineptness of the Oilers. They will still get a quality player, and have a stable of young prospects. The Sabres have only gotten 2 #2 picks to build with, but then they were smart enough to turn some expiring players into future talent. Edmonton, after offering 4 top picks for Vanek has had 4 in 6 #! overall picks, and is still trolling with royal suckage.

But **** the Sabres, right?? smh

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Probably the least favorable outcome for the NHL. Hopefully the conspiracy theories can die now.

Agreed. Can't think of a result that would've been worse for the league. Edmonton will sellout games regardless of who they ice. Can't say the same for 25+ other teams in the league.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Oiler may take him--you never know

but my question stands--did Buffalo make it too clear that they aiming for the top pick?

Possibly but as long as we got one of them I didn't personally care. I don't think Murray or any GM is dumb enough to tank for a 20% chance, they knew the odds and had to have been play with #2.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
As someone from Winnipeg, thats a brutal thing to say. You guys never even had a team for how long? Edmonton fans have been suffering for a long freaking time to, we don't like being where we are any more than anyone else, but everyone would rather see Edmonton just get screwed out of something they won?

The issue with Edmonton is that the organization is run like a gong show at both the NHL and AHL levels. So long as Daryl Katz owns the team, it will be like that. The old boys' club has to go before the team can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad