Oilers waive Jack Campbell

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I think Oilers may try and trade for James Reimer.

He’s becoming the odd man out with Lyon and Husso splitting time. Holland obviously has a relationship with Stevie Y and The Wings.

We’ll need someone to split time with Skinner

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Oilers may try and trade for James Reimer.

He’s becoming the odd man out with Lyon and Husso splitting time. Holland obviously has a relationship with Stevie Y and The Wings.

We’ll need someone to split time with Skinner
I don't even know why Husso is playing so much, by far the worse of the bunch. They should actually be looking to move him. The guy really has been garbage most of his career.

Edit: Which actually is the one scary thing. What the hell happens if Yzerman dumps Husso on a club? That's going to be one less team for us to try dump Campbell on at a later date.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I don't even know why Husso is playing so much, by far the worse of the bunch. They should actually be looking to move him. The guy really has been garbage most of his career.

Edit: Which actually is the one scary thing. What the hell happens if Yzerman dumps Husso on a club? That's going to be one less team for us to try dump Campbell on at a later date.
Haha I trust Stevey Y more than Holland to dump Husso first before us and Campbell.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fun fact: the management and scouting of the Oilers thought this goalie could lead a team to a Stanley Cup.

Is it possible our genius pro scouts that found us Campbell are going to 1-up themselves?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is it possible our genius pro scouts that found us Campbell are going to 1-up themselves?

It could be about talent analysis, like he's a buy low candidate whose numbers are ready to shoot up. Columbus had injuries

The big problem with that is that is the same philosophy that got us Campbell

I see the appeal of a buy low goalie but I'd want one with great underlying numbers but not the wins. Ie the next Ullmark

Besides, hasn't Columbus been defensively oriented? I wouldn't trust a goalie coming from a good defensive team

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Campbell doing Campbell things.

No responsible team in the standings situation we’re in calls him up until these games and goals stop at the AHL level for a period of time. I’m talking 5 games at the bare minimum, but more likely 8-10.

To say it’s frustrating (actually more like f***ing stupid) that it seems like we’ve decided that we’re calling him up no matter what happens down there is an understatement. Rather than use the AHL to give his game an honest and sober look and then act accordingly, the org seems to be using it as a hope mechanism that magic will occur and he’ll be better no matter what he actually does there. Dumb. Lazy, dumb move.

We will lose games and critical points if he comes here. Some people in the org need to ask themselves if it’s worth missing the playoffs to risk this. Pickard is better than him, just give him a few starts for f*** sakes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He chipped it in on himself from what I see… off the stick and up over that pad?
It looks as if he kind of moved the stick as the puck was coming towards him.
He messed up a very simple play.
All he had to do was hold his position and let the puck hit him.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I've seen a lot of weird articles saying if Campbell has a good start or two he could be recalled soon. So his struggles in the AHL are going to be masked by a couple of decent starts against inferior competition?

In no way does he deserve another shot when he hasn't even shown much promise at a lower level. They need to stop trying this experiment and move on. These are just random articles so who knows if there's even any truth to it

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

This is more generalized goalie information, but I guess Jack Campbell is kind of a goalie, so it applies.

I think its a great point though as we all tend to have this mindset of what a decent save % is but it probably has to be adjusted. Because it really has changed. Players mastering carbon graphite sticks and being better at shooting with them every year, PP's owning more than ever before. Life is a lot harder for NHL goalies than it ever was. Probably an important point for us all (and me) to keep in mind.

The most striking thing about the graph is how this is not outlier. This is a clear trend where save % is going down every season for nearly a decade. Given that average save % in league deviates small amounts historically that its gone down .13 over the years seems significant.

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
After an initial rocky start in the AHL Campbell has had a save percentage above .900 in 16 of his last 18 games started. There was another game in that stretch that he was under .900 but he came on in relief for Rodrique half way through the game which was not a good night for the Condors as they ended up loosing 7-3 to one of the AHL's worst teams in the Baby Sharks.

He deserves credit for making the best of the situation and continuing to focus on his play. He has had some good games against the teams at the top of the Pacific division with the Condor's being stuck in a four team log jam in the middle of the division. Yes the expectations were higher and the contract currently still sucks, but there's positive progress and maybe an redemption arc?

Campbell's Overall AHL stats:
16W 12L 2.58 .920 3SO

Rodrigue has had a decent season, but his play has dipped a bit after new years, when Campbell found his game.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm glad he's found his game, sincerely, I'm happy for the guy and I'm happy it's leading to success in Bako.

Ideal scenario he plays well enough to be traded in the offseason, but he might have put himself in a spot to get another NHL contract after his likely buyout.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I hope I don't regret saying this, but we need to keep him.
That buyout term is way too long for way too much, and the goalie market is absolute shit.

We need to 100% make sure he's not an NHLer anymore before we buy him out, but the thing is he does look like he has a pulse again.

For a while, Bobrovsky looked like one of the worst contracts in NHL history, and now he's looking like a Vezina caliber goalie again.

We need to get Soup a few reps on the big club and see if we can resuscitate his NHL career.
The better he plays, either we get a good (expensive) goalie out of it, or we can dump him for less than the cost of a buyout (50% retention somewhere?)

Reactions: bone

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hope I don't regret saying this, but we need to keep him.
That buyout term is way too long for way too much, and the goalie market is absolute shit.

We need to 100% make sure he's not an NHLer anymore before we buy him out, but the thing is he does look like he has a pulse again.

For a while, Bobrovsky looked like one of the worst contracts in NHL history, and now he's looking like a Vezina caliber goalie again.

We need to get Soup a few reps on the big club and see if we can resuscitate his NHL career.
The better he plays, either we get a good (expensive) goalie out of it, or we can dump him for less than the cost of a buyout (50% retention somewhere?)

Dead cap is an anvil in this league as we’ve seen.

Problem is if Campbell doesn’t play well and again goes to the minors we have more dead cap than if we bought him out. If we sign Pickard there’s no way he gets through waivers leaving us with no viable #3 goalie.

So you either buy him out or pay the trade assets to move him this off season. Personally I pay the trade assets to move him and I move Evander Kane and Ceci to open up 13+ million in cap space.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Problem is if Campbell doesn’t play well and again goes to the minors we have more dead cap than if we bought him out. If we sign Pickard there’s no way he gets through waivers leaving us with no viable #3 goalie.

So you either buy him out or pay the trade assets to move him this off season. Personally I pay the trade assets to move him and I move Evander Kane and Ceci to open up 13+ million in cap space.
I'd give Campbell next year and then try and trade him after that regardless of how good/bad he does. Our team defence was a tire fire under Woodcroft so just playing behind a better defence will make him look better.

My concern is what to do with Rodrigue. He's looked good in the AHL but is he ready to be an NHL backup and will he get claimed if he gets sent down next year?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

I'm not totally disagreeing with you?

But the worst case is, Toronto gives him a league-min deal and he recaptures the play that got him that contract in the first place. And he outplays whoever we give the next contract to.

As bad as he's been since he got here, I'm just not 100% Soup is completely washed up as an NHL player. He's starting to show he's getting his game back and deserving of another shot.

Draisaitl's contract is up next season so we have another year to decide on this.

My concern is what to do with Rodrigue. He's looked good in the AHL but is he ready to be an NHL backup and will he get claimed if he gets sent down next year?

Yeah, the O-Rod dilemma is an interesting one but Campbell has been outplaying him recently.

I personally think he easily passes through waivers and we get to keep developing him down there for another year. Eric Comrie put up some similar numbers in the AHL with the Moose, and he hasn't established himself in the NHL either. He even passed through waivers earlier this year.

Either way with O-Rod I don't think his development is done. He's improving year over year, and being only 23, I think it's important he keeps playing a lot of games, rather than riding pine in the NHL.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd give Campbell next year and then try and trade him after that regardless of how good/bad he does. Our team defence was a tire fire under Woodcroft so just playing behind a better defence will make him look better.

No, the team is done with him and should be. It's either a trade out of town or a buyout. There are no other option.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If we aren't at least trying him now then I don't see much point in going through this dance next year. I hate dead cap but if we sign Pickard for a small-ish amount then we come out ahead with cap. (Edit: with buying Jack out I mean)

It would also be doing good by him to let him sign somewhere where he can get another shot. We are a contender so that means we don't have a lot of patience

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad