Oilers waive Jack Campbell

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I do know he said Buffalo shouldn't go after Hellebuyck. The level of detail he went into why tells me he probably knew whether or not Campbell can be a good fit here. Or at the very least how the Oilers would have to play for him to be successful

The guy doesn't just scout a goalie and make a decision off of that. He literally went into saying the way Buffalo plays that Hellebuyck wouldn't be as good as he was in WPG. Think it was something about how Buffalo allows a lot of cross ice plays and Hellebuyck's numbers aren't great when he has to move side to side.

This is the level of analysis this club needs. Not just in goaltending, but players too. Sure you can scout a player and say he is good at this or that, but if he doesn't fit into your roster or systems properly then what good is he?

Edit: As for being abrasive with Stauffer. Shocking, Stauffer gets that way with anyone that tries to explain what's wrong with the Oilers or points out a negative. With Gregor, Gregor simply asks him a question and lets Woodley go into the detail without being interrupted or challenged.
I agree and thats why I enjoy listening to him. Its a perspective I wouldnt have been able to get on my own. He is probably wrong on occasion too but with amount of time he puts into his analysis I have to think that he is right a lot more than he is wrong.
Holland should hire him for the scouting staff.

Agree about Gregor as well. I like that he just asks a question and sits back. Bob always seems to be trying to push his way into an interview.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I agree and was saying this while Campbell was run out of town. That one game where we lost big IMO he stood on his head for a good bit of it (entire 2nd period as well IIRC) but we were trash in front of him. Even Kane said as much when Jack was sent down. The problem is that it seems like there's mostly 3 sides on HF, the Skinner sucks side, the Campbell sucks side and the defense and both goalies suck side. IMO the defense needs to be better but so too should the goalies. Leave Campbell down for a bit longer and then give him a fresh look under Knoblauch.
Basically every game I watch almost any team is giving up a lot of chances. Vegas and Calgary played a loose game last night with really poor focus. Flames allowed like 3-4 breakaways, several odd man rushes and didn't get punished for it. A brilliant save, everytime, from their back up, Vladar. There was about 6 saves made that we rarely get here. Both teams last night gave up more serious chances than the Oilers have in last couple of games. Difference is those clubs are getting the stops.

I've really been paying attention to the chances other clubs are giving up in relation to ours. The one thing I will note is that we lose people around net more often, or have in the season, but other teams seem to be giving up more breakaways and odd man breaks which have been fatal when we give them up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In all fariness Markstrom hasn't been all that good in Calgary. That and I thought he was just using us as leverage anyway.

I thought he was tight with Lindholm or Backlund or something.
Didnt know that.
He is a much better goalie compared to Campbell was my thinking.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree and thats why I enjoy listening to him. Its a perspective I wouldnt have been able to get on my own. He is probably wrong on occasion too but with amount of time he puts into his analysis I have to think that he is right a lot more than he is wrong.
Holland should hire him for the scouting staff.

Agree about Gregor as well. I like that he just asks a question and sits back. Bob always seems to be trying to push his way into an interview.
He just sees so many little things. Now who the hell knows, Schwartz maybe can see the same thing but it's not necessarily easy to get guys that played hockey for so long to start changing their habits.

As a scout though Woodley seems like he could give you amazing insight though and what a goalie would need to do to be better or how he fits within your club. He also is a guy that uses both his eyes and stats.
Didnt know that.
He is a much better goalie compared to Campbell was my thinking.
I mean you aren't wrong, but at the same time I don't know how much further we are with Markstrom. Especially given our team defensive play

Reactions: guymez and Kirby

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@joestevens29

Oilers Goalie Search #2: Jack Campbell

Jack Campbell has had a couple of pretty good seasons since joining the Maple Leafs. He has been a “good guy” around the locker room and a feel-good story since bouncing back from being written off as a 1st round goalie bust. For the first time in his career, Campbell is set to get paid as a free agent, which is great because I personally enjoy the good people in the game getting rewarded. However, his player profile is riddled with red flags, making signing the 30-year-old goaltender to a big-money long-term deal a risky endeavor. Campbell actually has quite a few similarities on the ice to Mike Smith, but Oiler fans have seen that movie before and would like to avoid a repeat. For the money that it would cost to sign Campbell, I believe there are better and more reliable options available on both the trade and free-agent market.

You might enjoy this read. Its the substack from the twitter handle for Oil in Goal which is an excellent resource.

https://twitter.com/oilingoal

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Seravalli....a week old but its tough to argue the point. If you can get out from under the Campbell contract by sending San Jose a 1st and a 3rd...you do it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seravalli....a week old but its tough to argue the point. If you can get out from under the Campbell contract by sending San Jose a 1st and a 3rd...you do it.

I think if it were that easy it would probably be done. Even the whole taking Blackwood back in the deal to relieve some of the cap from SJ.

Unless Holland is trying to make 2 deals at the same time to use up the new found cap.

I guess too if we continue to play well maybe we don't have to pay that extra desperation tax in a deal, lol.

I also guess San Jose is kinda half ass desperate it sounds to get picks/prospects and it's not looking like they'll get much of anything from the players they hoped to flip from the Karlsson deal.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think if it were that easy it would probably be done. Even the whole taking Blackwood back in the deal to relieve some of the cap from SJ.

Unless Holland is trying to make 2 deals at the same time to use up the new found cap.

I guess too if we continue to play well maybe we don't have to pay that extra desperation tax in a deal, lol.

I also guess San Jose is kinda half ass desperate it sounds to get picks/prospects and it's not looking like they'll get much of anything from the players they hoped to flip from the Karlsson deal.
Honestly...I expect Holland to try and make the Campbell situation work.
I dont think that he has it in him to trade the goalie he signed for 5 years (plus a high draft pick) for another goalie. What a way to close out your career as a GM.
I wish there was some way to confirm that Jackson has taken the reigns away.

Reactions: dawunderboy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont think that he has it in him to trade the goalie he signed for 5 years (plus a high draft pick) for another goalie. What a way to close out your career as a GM.
I don't know who exactly is running the show, I feel Holland still has power. With that being said I'd be kind of shocked if Jackson wasn't involved or at the very least wanting to be updated on the Campbell situation. It's a rather big situation for the next few years that will have a lot of implications on this club going forward.

My guess is after x-mas something will be decided. Have to think they want to see if Campbell can regain himself in the AHL first before dumping assets.

Reactions: guymez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's pretty obvious Jackson has assumed lead role in decision making. Two weeks in and he fires and replaces Holland's head of amateur scouting. Then when shit goes sideways installs his guy as head coach, opting for someone with no NHL head coaching experience. These are decisions for the post-Holland era. Holland is still a valuable employee with experience, league relationships that can do the legwork with trying to improve this team this season. But Jackson's clearly driving the bus to Charelli proof the organization.

Campbell disappearing is going to take either a David Copperfield magic act or Joe Pesce Good Fellas level force majeure. Or a boatload of picks and prospects. Easiest, fastest wishful thinking is to try to help Stella get her groove back. Sprinkle a few bucks for Campbell to have some alone time with Manny Legace to work on his game but really it is about a security blanket to get the guy's fragile mental foundation stable. Regrettably it's the huge mental foundation that goaltending is built on that comes and goes with Jack Campbell. Can tweak and sharpen technique, change equipment but if the mental game pilot light that underpins the position blows out easily and with frequency the game won't be there with the consistency required at apex NHL level ... at least on mature phase organizations expecting and under pressure to win deep playoff rounds.

Hockey Darwinism cruelly weeds out those that fall short with skill and aptitude.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's pretty obvious Jackson has assumed lead role in decision making. Two weeks in and he fires and replaces Holland's head of amateur scouting. Then when shit goes sideways installs his guy as head coach, opting for someone with no NHL head coaching experience. These are decisions for the post-Holland era. Holland is still a valuable employee with experience, league relationships that can do the legwork with trying to improve this team this season. But Jackson's clearly driving the bus to Charelli proof the organization.
I agree. As we discussed before Knoblauch is clearly Jacksons man. So (including the addition in amateur scouting) Jackson is clearly putting his stamp on the management side of things.
That makes sense with the reality of Holland retiring soon. Jackson should be putting together his Management team.
Its just not clear to me that Jackson has also removed Hollands ability to make trades.
Campbell disappearing is going to take either a David Copperfield magic act or Joe Pesce Good Fellas level force majeure. Or a boatload of picks and prospects. Easiest, fastest wishful thinking is to try to help Stella get her groove back. Sprinkle a few bucks for Campbell to have some alone time with Manny Legace to work on his game but really it is about a security blanket to get the guy's fragile mental foundation stable. Regrettably it's the huge mental foundation that goaltending is built on that comes and goes with Jack Campbell. Can tweak and sharpen technique, change equipment but if the mental game pilot light that underpins the position blows out easily and with frequency the game won't be there with the consistency required at apex NHL level ... at least on mature phase organizations expecting and under pressure to win deep playoff rounds.

Hockey Darwinism cruelly weeds out those that fall short with skill and aptitude.
Thats the thing with Campbell. You never really get the sense with his game thats its reached a point where its reliable. That he is in a position to play the next 30 games and be solid.
You never really get the sense that has slayed the beast. The mental gremlins can pop up anytime and all the momentum he had gathered could be gone in a flash. Watching him play I get the feeling like he could regress at any moment.
He just isnt trustworthy and the sooner he is gone the better.

This was such a monumental failure for Holland and this organization.
There is no excuse for putting this team in this situation at this point in time. There are times when organizations just cant afford to get something wrong. This was that time for this team and Holland failed spectacularly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His team down 2-1 Campbell shuts the door....on a comeback.
This kind of stuff happens far too much to Campbell. Goals that inexplicably get past him.
I would love to know what exactly he was looking at. Where were his eyes during that play?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree. As we discussed before Knoblauch is clearly Jacksons man. So (including the addition in amateur scouting) Jackson is clearly putting his stamp on the management side of things.
That makes sense with the reality of Holland retiring soon. Jackson should be putting together his Management team.
Its just not clear to me that Jackson has also removed Hollands ability to make trades.

Thats the thing with Campbell. You never really get the sense with his game thats its reached a point where its reliable. That he is in a position to play the next 30 games and be solid.
You never really get the sense that has slayed the beast. The mental gremlins can pop up anytime and all the momentum he had gathered could be gone in a flash. Watching him play I get the feeling like he could regress at any moment.
He just isnt trustworthy and the sooner he is gone the better.

This was such a monumental failure for Holland and this organization.
There is no excuse for putting this team in this situation at this point in time. There are times when organizations just cant afford to get something wrong. This was that time for this team and Holland failed spectacularly.
My own impression/opinion is that Jackson and Holland are functioning well together (despite poor optics from the Knoblauch media conference). I venture Holland has a wide berth to explore trade options and do this leg work with consultation with Jackson having defined need together. But Jackson will make the final trade call.

Agree, the Campbell contract is a hard fail for Holland's legacy. This is a firing offence for Schwartz's leadership work in this crippling deal moreso than operating with retread goalies and a green banana #2 forced into #1 on a mature organization's Cup aspirations.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
His team down 2-1 Campbell shuts the door....on a comeback.
This kind of stuff happens far too much to Campbell. Goals that inexplicably get past him.
I would love to know what exactly he was looking at. Where were his eyes during that play?

How the F does that get through you?

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

It seems that most of the trades Holland makes or considers these days are ones that involve moving draft picks to get rid of signing mistakes. What a formula.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Its a good question.
Even if he missed tracking the puck he needs to have that side of the net sealed off.
I agree, but Skinner might be the slowest Oilers goalie that I've ever seen in terms of going post to post. Hopefully at least one of these guys claims the #1 spot by merit vs. being the better of 2 poor goalies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My own impression/opinion is that Jackson and Holland are functioning well together (despite poor optics from the Knoblauch media conference). I venture Holland has a wide berth to explore trade options and do this leg work with consultation with Jackson having defined need together. But Jackson will make the final trade call.

Agree, the Campbell contract is a hard fail for Holland's legacy. This is a firing offence for Schwartz's leadership work in this crippling deal moreso than operating with retread goalies and a green banana #2 forced into #1 on a mature organization's Cup aspirations.
Here's hoping.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
A little taste of who might be replacing Jack Campbell soon
SamMontembeaultStuff4d.jpg

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Campbell's fall is somewhat reminiscent of Corey Schneiders. Only Schneider had injuries to blame.
Seems reminiscent of a lot of goalies in the NHL. The inconsistency from year to year is so much different than it was years back when you had a goalie and you'd get many years of consecutive decent goaltending out of them.

A little taste of who might be replacing Jack Campbell soonView attachment 776148
Replacing him as starter in Bakersfield? I'm sure we have that covered already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad