Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I mean, yes when you can't bank points in October and November you become "at-risk" for not qualifying for the playoffs.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Oilers are a good bet to make the playoffs.

This is an awful start but the team is not that different than the one that was red hot after the deadline

Also, minus 3 isn't even as low as I thought it should be. He's been awful
I said it last year, Edmonton got hot last year when the other teams started to wind down and go into “preserve for the playoffs” mode.

Neither how they are playing now or how they played than is a good indication of what this team actually is. They are somewhere in the middle. Nowhere near a true contender but also nowhere near missing the playoffs

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I am a Leaf fan and I don't mind the Oil. I f***ing hate Mark Spector though.

Also, some people should have their thread posting privileges withheld. I would say about 60 - 70 Percent of these early season threads are going to age horribly. Hell, the Leafs got off to an even worse start to the Oilers last year and bounced back. The Oilers themselves were out of the playoffs at one point last season until they finished with one of the best records. I get it, it is great fun to point your fingers and laugh, but what goes around comes around.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes they did. Even with Brown's slow start he is an upgrade on Yamamoto. Having a full year of Ekholm is a big deal. Plus the Oilers were so red hot that even with other teams upgrading I don't think they could pass the Oilers so quickly. It's not like other great teams upgrade substantially every year.

Just watching the Oilers, it's just weird. They started a new system this year in response to being exposed by Vegas in the playoffs, and it seems to have knocked everyone off their groove
I think the problems run a little deeper than a bunch of players knocked off of their grooves.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I guess I should just take the word of the fakest fan on the site then.

Also, I said that Oiler fans are the Matthews of insufferable fans, I didn't say that they are the Keller of insufferable fanbases so I admit that they are one of the worst out there.

Anyway, moving on....
You mean Clayton Keller, the best player on a team that is 12 places ahead of you in the standings right now?

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Seeing as you're President of the Player Haters Club: Oilers Edition, and one of the most active on every Oilers hate threads, I'm sure you can bring the receipts for such a remark?

I don't know a single Oilers fan on this board who said we're "cup favourites", especially given the fact not a single thing was done to address our goaltending or defense this offseason, which everyone would admit needed to be our priorities.

Draisaitl and McDavid said in an interview it was "cup or bust" this offseason when they were talking about goals for the team, but that's markedly different than what you (and numerous others of your club) keep saying day in and day out.

Where have all the braggy Oilers fans gone off to?

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

They are now staying and talking on their board about EVERYTHING that the so called "trolls" told them about their team... the curtain has finally fallen and they can see the ugly truth.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Didn't this happen last year and somewhat later in the season, and they made the playoffs comfortably? Didn't the Sabres a few years ago win 10 in a row and miss the playoffs by a wide margin? Sample size. Now if you feel this sample will be indicative of their entire season, ok fine. But will it really be that bad? I'd be shocked.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
BS, NewMarket is a 45 min drive Downtown. South on the 404 that turns into the DVP. Uptown is only 25 min.

That’s so silly. No one outside Toronto cares about that small a difference. People always do that with cities, when a place is quite close by. Of course playing in Toronto is a homecoming for him when it’s that close. That’s like me getting upset that someone said a BC boy playing in Vancouver is a homecoming since he’s from Coquitlam. That would be completely stupid to correct someone on that.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I wouldn’t think so, we’ll see how this affects the team though. Still way to much hockey to be played

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
In all seriousness, I think zone defense wasn’t a bad idea, most of the league is going that direction, and I think the Oilers will get it down better.. but it requires positional and effort buy in from all your centers (or at least someone acting as the center in the D zone)

Draisaitl is capable of defense but just so often.. doesn’t. I thought McDavid improved a lot personally though maybe needs to be more consistent

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It wouldn't be HF Boards without some clown threads 10 games into the season.
That's kind of the point of a forum dedicated to hockey, you discuss a variety of things as the season progresses and current outlooks for teams

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Been saying Holland was a bad hire since the day he was brought in. Dinosaur with no real vision in today's league. McDavid/Draisaitl are good enough to overcome the bad roster though, doubt they miss.

He couldn't fix Detroit's defense after Lidstrom retired. The drafting of defensemen from 2003 to 2018 is crap. Quincey, B. Smith, Jensen, and Hronek are the only decent drafted defensemen during that time.

Reactions: Czechboy

Aug 3, 2010
I would partly place the blame on McDavid at this point. All the offseason talk of "Cup or bust" mentality. The early preseason "captain's skate" stuff. The lack of showing up in games so far. Not getting the team to buy in effort-wise on the ice.

Just needs to keep his head down and let his game do the talking because the actual talk clearly isn't working. All the posturing magnifies the great big Edmonton spotlight on him and his team unnecessarily.

The other part is just inept management but that's been the story for like 2 decades.

It must be exhausting to be an Edmonton fan around these parts... and no, they won't miss the playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad