Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
They'll be fine, too talented not be, but if you were an Oilers fan with worries about the team's weaknesses heading into the season...well...their weaknesses are their weaknesses right now and it's hard to see them being rectified in a way that sees them able to topple Colorado or Vegas when they're rolling.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Slapshots from distance where the shooter is stationary and they aren’t screened and the shot goes straight in is a rough look in todays NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Slapshots from distance where the shooter is stationary and they aren’t screened and the shot goes straight in is a rough look in todays NHL.

Has this happened? Honest question, as I missed the last two games...

Prior to that, I don't recall any long range bombs going in (that weren't tipped on the way).

The goaltending has been a bit tentative for my taste (like being too far back in the net, not challenging enough in close to reduce angles), but far from "bad"...

... which is to say that the quality of opportunities we have been giving up have been horrible... very tough on the goalies IMO.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean it’s still really early but can you imagine how much the pressure will ramp up from fans and the local press if they lose the next couple of games.
The Captain’s Skate and the Cup or Bust off season stuff really upped the expectations.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No matter what anyone says and with all the incredible depth that the others have accumulated over the years. McDavid is still the Oilers.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'm with the "the division is so bad that they will make it" crowd.

Have you seen the Flames? They sure as hell aren't taking their spot.

Are they Cup favorites? No, but they certainly aren't bottom dwellers.

McDrai are too good.

Now, could the wheels really fall off? Sure, it happens all the time.

I will say they need to figure out that new 1-3-1 strategy and fast. Because somehow they look even worse than last year when it comes to defense.

I don't think the goalies are as bad as they look. I think it's the team that makes them look bad. You can't run 15 goalies through a "system" and say they were the problem. I also don't buy the whole "it's the goalie coach" drum that's being beaten. Lazy argument.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What are the odds that McDavid and Draisaitl re-sign with the Oilers when the terms are up?

I think if one goes elsewhere they both go.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Yep. And yet the Oiler fans absolutely lose it when it's pointed out that he's simply not good enough in his own zone to belong in the NHL. He put up points and still absolutely cost his team with his inability to play defence.
No. One person argues with you. We consistently see the mistakes he makes.

HF boards is full of hot takes from individuals

Reactions: zar and Coffey

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
What are the odds that McDavid and Draisaitl re-sign with the Oilers when the terms are up?

McDavid - 90%

Things would have to go very badly in the next two years for him to call it quits. Like a public battle with the new GM.

Drai - 25%

He's a hell of a hockey player, but I find him to be one of, if not the most, unlikeable players in the NHL. He gives off a heavy "it's all about me" vibe. Let's face it, that man is going to get paid. A lot. Does he come off as a "team friendly" guy? He knows he's been underpaid and will be looking for his retirement contract. Don't see him taking less than $13/year, long term. He may also want to get away from McDavid to prove he's not a product of him??

Reactions: 333359

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I'm with the "the division is so bad that they will make it" crowd.

Have you seen the Flames? They sure as hell aren't taking their spot.

Are they Cup favorites? No, but they certainly aren't bottom dwellers.

McDrai are too good.

Now, could the wheels really fall off? Sure, it happens all the time.

I will say they need to figure out that new 1-3-1 strategy and fast. Because somehow they look even worse than last year when it comes to defense.

I don't think the goalies are as bad as they look. I think it's the team that makes them look bad. You can't run 15 goalies through a "system" and say they were the problem. I also don't buy the whole "it's the goalie coach" drum that's being beaten. Lazy argument.

The Flames wouldn’t need to take their spot.

Vegas
LA
Vancouver
Seattle (WC1)

In that scenario, I’m not sure if they’d make the Playoffs. Depends on how bad the Central ends up.

For the record, I absolutely think Edmonton will make it. Anywhere from 2nd in the division to WC1 most likely.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

My opinion has nothing to do with this season’s results so far

McDavid - 25%
Draisaitl
- very short term contract (1-2 years) extension 50%
- long term extension 10%

The way I truly see it playing out is the Oilers will hang onto Drai and are prepared to let him walk for nothing if they don’t negotiate extensions for both of them in the next 24/25 off season. If that is the case, McDavid will be traded in that same offseason. Can’t let them both walk for nothing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It will be interesting to see if the McDavid-less Oilers can stand on their own two feet tonight..?

If they win,it could be a confidence boost..and prove the team isn’t reliant on one player.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I just looked at the NHL standings, 31st team right now only better than the Sharks. Not good. :help::eek3:

hqdefault (1).jpg

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Has this happened? Honest question, as I missed the last two games...

Prior to that, I don't recall any long range bombs going in (that weren't tipped on the way).

The goaltending has been a bit tentative for my taste (like being too far back in the net, not challenging enough in close to reduce angles), but far from "bad"...

... which is to say that the quality of opportunities we have been giving up have been horrible... very tough on the goalies IMO.
In fairness ... It wasn't a Slapshot. It was a snapshot lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad