Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

How have they not fired anyone?! This is crazy, thought Woodcroft was for sure gone.
Holland deserves to be launched from a catapult for the nurse and Campbell contracts, but he didn't sound too sure about coming back at the end of last season, so firing him doesn't do much. He's probably just going to ride out his contract without doing anything major.

I don't know that any head coach can fix their goaltending situation, or an injured McDavid, maybe a different defensive approach/system, but yeah, the players are just playing like crap. Firing the coach would just be to put a new face in the room. Bottom line is if McDavid and drai aren't producing they aren't winning too many games.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
´Getting on sticks, taking out your man in front of the net, and clearing rebounds is what the Canucks are doing to help their goalies. They also hustle back for back-checks.

The Oilers do none of the above.

Goal 1 Hughes: What is Desharnais trying to accomplish there? take your man, or get in that lane
Goal 2 Suter: Awful effort from Holloway. Suter takes an uncontested shot in the slot.
Goal 3 Boeser: Ekholm is away from Boeser. Boeser taps in a loose puck. Ekholm reacts after the fact.
Goal 4 Hoglander: Weak giveaway, brainless pinch by #2, #2 no hustle or interest in taking his man, Draisaitl was there.. not sure what he was trying to accomplish
Goal 5 Miller: Beauty
Goal 6 Boeser: Kinda sums up the night, awful effort by everyone, behind on the play, ceci comes in after the goal and get's his guys stick. Some guy doing some gymnastics infront of Skinner. Get your body infront of the puck instead

Awful effort. If it was the goalies, that's a quicker fix than what reality says.
I never said it was all on the goalies but the Canucks made all kinds of defensive errors in the past 2 games against the Oilers but they have much better goalies and survived their mistakes and had opportunities to get back into the games,. The Oilers rarely get any kind of goaltending at key times in games to give them any chance to win right now. That is the point. Of course they can be better defensively but their goaltending is not offering anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeltaSwede

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
McDavid sounds like he's been impaled by a sword during his interviews these days. Everyone is pointing the finger at Woodcroft but Holland is the guy they need to get rid of. The team he built overachieved last year. He should of added another top 4 D instead of wasting a roster spot on a deep fried Connor Brown.

What a mess... Who ever takes over as GM had better focus on improving the goaltending and defense. If we lose to the Sharks, there absolutely needs to be blood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilou and RegDunlop

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Do the players give up against the Sharks in the hopes to get a new coach in by the next game?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Last night if the Oilers outshot the Canucks 20-8 in the first period with the goalies reversed the Oilers would likely have been winning 4-1 after the first period. No one remembers how poorly the Canucks played during stretches of the last 2 games against the Oilers because Demko and DeSmith made big saves giving the Canucks an opportunity to get back into both games, people only remember bad defensive plays the Oilers made because they resulted in goals. The Oilers certainly have struggled in other areas and need to be better defensively but their goaltending is not giving them any opportunity to win games at all so far this season.
I disagree. Their D was equally at fault with the goaltending last night. The first Vancouver goal was scored by an Oiler D and every other goal was a rebound or two on one goal with shoddy defensive coverage. Any goalie would let in lots of goals behind what may be the leagues worst D so far this season.
I mean sure Demko is better than the Oilers goalies but he’s one of the teams star players so he should be expected to outperform Skinner most nights. But I think Demko would still let in at least 4 of those goals.

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Nurse is one of the most gutless pieces of trash to ever play the game and doesn't belong in a men's league. There's no reason for anyone to pretend to respect him.
I'm probably the biggest Oiler hater on this board and that's just not true.

FYI - as someone who lives in Edmonton and knows people in the Oilers org, he's an incredibly nice person.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing
I think most are. They have unlikeable players, yeah they might rack up the points but they are also douchebags like Draisaitl, Nurse, Kane, Hyman, etc
Lmao what? Draisaitl and Hyman seem like great guys. Nurse is an overpaid pylon, but I haven't seen anything that makes him a "dbag". Kane's past is rough, but he's been amazing in the community in Edmonton.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
A team with a full mentallity of play 1 side of the puck and its starting with leader of the club... mcdavid/ draisaitl....

When your 2 leader are not fully engaged defensive side. How can you expecting the rest of you team will...

Defensive is about 5 player, not about 2...

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Lmao what? Draisaitl and Hyman seem like great guys. Nurse is an overpaid pylon, but I haven't seen anything that makes him a "dbag". Kane's past is rough, but he's been amazing in the community in Edmonton.
You think constant diving and cheapshots from Nurse and Draisitl make them respectable players? When they start playing like men instead of the gutless cowards that they are, maybe people will stop calling them out. Right now, they're a complete disgrace to the sport.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Seems like someone missed watching the oilers in playoffs the last few years….

• Haha
Reactions: Umingmak

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing
You think constant diving and cheapshots from Nurse and Draisitl make them respectable players? When they start playing like men instead of the gutless cowards that they are, maybe people will stop calling them out. Right now, they're a complete disgrace to the sport.
I've watched a lot of Oilers games (Edmonton is my hometown. I'm not an Oilers fan, but I watch the games a lot with friends & just to keep up). I've never seen Draisaitl or Nurse dive. Lmao.

Looking at the NHLDives IG account, they don't have a single dive from Draisaitl since they started their page (2019). The worst diver on the list is Marchessault, and the only Oiler in their top 20 list is Hyman (former Oilers Koskinen and Smith are on there too).

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
A team with a full mentallity of play 1 side of the puck and its starting with leader of the club... mcdavid/ draisaitl....

When your 2 leader are not fully engaged defensive side. How can you expecting the rest of you team will...

Defensive is about 5 player, not about 2...
this is exactly the problem.
McDavid and Draisaitl are uncoachable.
How many GMs and coaches do they need to go through to figure that one out?

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Well it is still early and maybe a game against SJ will give them some confidence. I don't dislike their players, but I am very much enjoying what oiler fans are going through right now. There is no fanbase more deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad