Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I gotta say I don't think tonight's game was on Skinner. Their goaltending hasn't been good enough but tonight pinning it on him is scapegoating imo.

He actually made many big saves, this game could've been 8-2 or more very easily with the way the Oilers were giving up quality looks in the 2nd+3rd. Just look at the goals, how many was he really at fault for?

Maybe the 2-1 goal from Suter he should've had but other than that... one goes off his own player, Miller wires one, Boeser has a tap in, Oil give up an odd man rush & Hoglander scores with a nice shot off a rebound, exc.

Meanwhile the Oilers were down 2 with a full period to go - very much in the game - and they collectively threw a hissyfit instead of trying to win, that's not on Skinner.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
last year the 2nd wildcard in the West had 95 points

they need 90 points in their remaining 71 games to hit that now which is a 104 point pace

still doable but they do need to turn it around pretty soon

98 is more realistic to control their own destriny, so 93 in 71, which is a 107 point pace.

if the sharks beat the oilers it will ramp up to them needing a 109 point pace.

they were a 109 point team last year and they are clearly not as good as last year. the window is closing rapidly. they've got three or maybe four games to turn it around.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
98 is more realistic to control their own destriny, so 93 in 71, which is a 107 point pace.

if the sharks beat the oilers it will ramp up to them needing a 109 point pace.

they were a 109 point team last year and they are clearly not as good as last year. the window is closing rapidly. they've got three or maybe four games to turn it around.
It was 95, then 97 the last 2 seasons for WC2. 90 in 2019 when 82 games were actually played.

But right now it’s only a 91 point pace for WC2. But come end of Nov and WC2 is pacing at 95, then it’s going to get hard to overcome a massive hole.

Anything less than being 7-7 in Nov for Edm is too big a hole. That would give them 9-12-1 for 19 points. 60 games left so if 95 is then needed that’s 76 points so 38-22 the from December onwards.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Without going into the sordid details of some of her actions over the past 2-3 years, I'll say this -- Judges in the US are traditionally biased in favor of mothers when it comes to custody disputes. The fact that a judge considered the facts and decided to award SOLE custody of their child to Evander Kane of all people, should tell you that his ex-wife is a person who is dealing with some serious issues.

Hope this young woman is able to get her life back on track, for her own sake, and for the sake of her daughter.
I mean I don’t think it was Kane’s wife that had Byfuglien throw his gear in the shower, publically give him the finger, and have him and his jets teammates chase him off the team, only for the Sharks players say it’s him or me a couple seasons later.

A rising tide lifts all boats, and there is no such thing as a locker room problem on a winning team. If things continue to stay sour in Edmonton, I’d worry about the affects Kane could have.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I gotta say I don't think tonight's game was on Skinner. Their goaltending hasn't been good enough but tonight pinning it on him is scapegoating imo.

He actually made many big saves, this game could've been 8-2 or more very easily with the way the Oilers were giving up quality looks in the 2nd+3rd. Just look at the goals, how many was he really at fault for?

Maybe the 2-1 goal from Suter he should've had but other than that... one goes off his own player, Miller wires one, Boeser has a tap in, Oil give up an odd man rush & Hoglander scores with a nice shot off a rebound, exc.

Meanwhile the Oilers were down 2 with a full period to go - very much in the game - and they collectively threw a hissyfit instead of trying to win, that's not on Skinner.
Did people think the Vancouver game was on the goalie at all? It definitely wasn't.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Did people think the Vancouver game was on the goalie at all? It definitely wasn't.

Definitely saw it on Twitter. Not blaming it all on the goalie, but a very large part. And I agree with you, I'd put Skinner lower down the list from tonights game.

Here's the beginning of Mark Spectors article from tonight, for example;

Oilers can't afford to wait for goalies to improve as playoff hopes dwindle​

VANCOUVER — The elephant in the room had the top half of his gear off and his pads still strapped on, as the media entered a dead quiet Edmonton Oilers dressing room after yet another 6-2, blowout loss.

Give Stuart Skinner credit. He answered the question that no other player — or head coach Jay Woodcroft — will ever truthfully answer.

"It’s hard, because these guys are working their bags off," Skinner said of his teammates, who sagged noticeably after Pius Suter’s 20-foot wrist shot beat Skinner for a 2-1 lead the Canucks would never surrender.

"We had 18 shots, I think, in the first seven minutes. Pretty impressive, and (Thatcher) Demko did a great job,” Skinner observed. “But that’s the guy I’ve got to beat out.
"I’ve got to beat out the other goaltender, and I didn’t do that tonight."

They would need peak Hasek to be a winning team the way they defend.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
One thing that never gets brought up, and the absolute irony of it because Oilers fan trolled Flames fans for the same thing the offseason prior, is that the Oilers rode ridiculous career years to have the season they accomplished last year, which was honestly a rather mundane season until a hot finish. Going player by player. It’s rather extraordinary:
•McDavid beat his next best year by 20 goals and 30 points
•Draisaitl by 18 points
•RNH by 9 goals and 35 points
•Hyman by 9 goals and 29 points
•Ekholm even produced well above career averages when he joined.
All that, and they were still only playing at a 94 point pace until a remarkable 18-2-1 run to finish the season. Now their top players are struggling instead of going supernova to cover for their flaws, and the results are laid out for everyone.
I said it near the end of last season, the only reason Edmonton finished so well was because most of the competition was either resting for the post season or so far gone that they didn't go 100%.

Much like Oiler fans are screaming now about the Canucks, they were riding an unsustainable high to end the year

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Definitely saw it on Twitter. Not blaming it all on the goalie, but a very large part. And I agree with you, I'd put Skinner lower down the list from tonights game.

"It’s hard, because these guys are working their bags off,"

Ha, hahahahaha, oh this poor guy. Has he never played on a real team before? Did this coach really ask his goalie to fall on the sword for that performance?

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
The Pacific is pretty bad. I think they make it, but they need to start turning it around. I would be really concerned if they somehow give San Jose their first win on the season.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I said it near the end of last season, the only reason Edmonton finished so well was because most of the competition was either resting for the post season or so far gone that they didn't go 100%.

Much like Oiler fans are screaming now about the Canucks, they were riding an unsustainable high to end the year
7 games against Arizona, Anaheim and San Jose in that stretch.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

But the issue is... Allowing a goal like that at that point in the game when your team had pressed so well is a complete gut punch to the boys in front of him.

People miss/ignore that effect WAY too much...
Gut punch goal leads to sagging effort which leads to 'oh he wasn't bad cuz he had no help after that one bad goal he let in'.

Hissyfits came from the superstars after the depth players their management acquired failed to backcheck after theu were gifted a 2-3 goal giving them a chance..

Having said that... That back check on Suter's 2-1 goal looked bad in the tight camera shot/replays - would love to see where 55? was coming from in the bigger picture.. But they needed that save.

The huge issue with Markstrom in Vancouver before he broke out his last 1.5 seasons with us and became a wall was his propensity to let a goal in in the first 5 shots (often the 1st one) OR first 10 minutes of virtually every other game.... Complete gut punches.for the team. He would often lock things down and stand on his head afterwards - but too late.. unable to recover. Anyways......

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Disagree... Peak Hasek would inspire the f*** outta the 18 in front of Him tto bear down and not let player after player down main street. They would play like they owe him something...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
"It’s hard, because these guys are working their bags off,"

Ha, hahahahaha, oh this poor guy. Has he never played on a real team before? Did this coach really ask his goalie to fall on the sword for that performance?
Probably for that 1-2 guy punch goal against.. BUT.. failure of effort and backchecking from his team was gross. But locker room would probably go back to that goal against as the turning point...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The Pacific is pretty bad. I think they make it, but they need to start turning it around. I would be really concerned if they somehow give San Jose their first win on the season.
That's a fallacy.
Top 4 could dance easily with with the elite of the of the other divisions... Probably fare favorably...

The bottom 4 are obviously giving you the perception to paint the whole division based on their reflection...

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
But the issue is... Allowing a goal like that at that point in the game when your team had pressed so well is a complete gut punch to the boys in front of him.

People miss/ignore that effect WAY too much...
Gut punch goal leads to sagging effort which leads to 'oh he wasn't bad cuz he had no help after that one bad goal he let in'.

Hissyfits came from the superstars after the depth players their management acquired failed to backcheck after theu were gifted a 2-3 goal giving them a chance..

Having said that... That back check on Suter's 2-1 goal looked bad in the tight camera shot/replays - would love to see where 55? was coming from in the bigger picture.. But they needed that save.

The huge issue with Markstrom in Vancouver before he broke out his last 1.5 seasons with us and became a wall was his propensity to let a goal in in the first 5 shots (often the 1st one) OR first 10 minutes of virtually every other game.... Complete gut punches.for the team. He would often lock things down and stand on his head afterwards - but too late.. unable to recover. Anyways......
Exhibit A Freddie Andersen

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Actually you are very wrong. The Pacific is very good to the point where the top 3 Pacific teams have more points than the top 3 central teams. Vegas beat Colorado 7-0 and Vancouver Beat Dallas 2-0. Ducks are surging up and LA is very good. Seattle is in the bubble spot and we have Oilers and Flames in the bottom which if they ever wake up then it would be easily the best division in the league. Only one very bad team in it which is SJ.

Screenshot_20231107_004825_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: HockeyWooot

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
You clearly can’t just play offense and hope for a win. An they really need to start playing better as a team

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I think the season is done if they lose to San Jose. There's no coming back from such a low when you're already struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad