Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nah, the Oilers were legit good after the Ekholm addition. It's absurd to say that teams just laid down for the Oilers with McDavid who every team gets up for.

This is a completely different team than the one that closed last season. To say that you or anyone else saw this coming is being completely dishonest.
What personal changed from last season to this season? Connor Brown is that much of a negative?

They went on an insane heater at the end of the year which was not sustainable at all. McDavid played at an insane pace all year, which again isnt likely to be repeatable much. They also had an insane PP, again, not easy to reproduce season over season. They got lucky with Skinner giving them some solid goaltending for half the season, but you see so many goalies come in, play decent, and then next year when teams have the book on them they crumble and can't adjust.

This is the same team as last year. They just dont have a ridiculous PP and a ridiculous McDavid pace to carry them.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Nah, the Oilers were legit good after the Ekholm addition. It's absurd to say that teams just laid down for the Oilers with McDavid who every team gets up for. The Oilers were, I believe, the 2nd best team in the league in 2023 so all their opponents were "resting" or "not going 100%"? That's a ridiculous take, even for you.

This is a completely different team than the one that closed last season. To say that you or anyone else saw this coming is being completely dishonest.

I have the receipts to say otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
What personal changed from last season to this season? Connor Brown is that much of a negative?

They went on an insane heater at the end of the year which was not sustainable at all. McDavid played at an insane pace all year, which again isnt likely to be repeatable much. They also had an insane PP, again, not easy to reproduce season over season. They got lucky with Skinner giving them some solid goaltending for half the season, but you see so many goalies come in, play decent, and then next year when teams have the book on them they crumble and can't adjust.

This is the same team as last year. They just dont have a ridiculous PP and a ridiculous McDavid pace to carry them.

Wasn't he supposed to light it up with McDavid? At least that's what people told me.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The way they played was completely different last season, not referencing the personnel. Trust me, I'm an Oiler fan so I would know.

It wasn't just the ridiculous PP that they rode. They were a good 5 on 5 team. the bottom 6 all significantly outscored the opponent and contributed plenty of offense, their defense was top 10 after the Ekholm addition and Skinner actually made saves. As I said, it was a different team.

I have the receipts to say otherwise.
Oh, I'd love to see proof of all the brilliant posters that predicted the Oilers would be 2-9 in their first 11. Lets see those "receipts", talk is cheap.
Maybe there were a few perennial haters who have nothing better to do with their time but trash the Oilers that predicted but no normal poster predicted THIS or at least very few.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I didn't take part in any of this but if anyone wonders why this thread went 38 pages its because over the last 3-4 years Oilers fans made it their personal mission to make every thread on HFBoards about the Flames, Leafs or any forward not named McDavid or Draisaitl so toxic that it had to be closed by a mod.

Do they deserve it? Yes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did people think the Vancouver game was on the goalie at all? It definitely wasn't.
Same with the MN game. EDM goalie made some amazing saves.

There is lots of time for EDM to turn it around. Remember STL in their Cup winning year? Mind you, they did fire Yeo and bring in Berube.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Did people think the Vancouver game was on the goalie at all? It definitely wasn't.
Defintely not all. Their bottom 6 is trash, their defense is terrible, their goalies are horrible. If McJesus and Dr. Drai aren't setting records....it's an AHL team.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
What a train wreck.

The stars suck
There is no depth
The goaltending is mickey mouse

Not good. Still early though

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
It's a skid.

McDavid is off to an unusually slow start, especially by his standards. The lack of his typical production and the usual shoddy goaltending that the Oil have has the coming out of the gates poorly to say the least.

I'm sure they'll right the ship. It's still only early.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I didn't take part in any of this but if anyone wonders why this thread went 38 pages its because over the last 3-4 years Oilers fans made it their personal mission to make every thread on HFBoards about the Flames, Leafs or any forward not named McDavid or Draisaitl so toxic that it had to be closed by a mod.

Do they deserve it? Yes.

You said it. Don't you dare mention another player because they'll simply not compare. McDavid is the single greatest player in the history of the game, no, make that the greatest athlete in all of sport, in any generation.

They better get their heads out of their ass quick. It's not like Draisaitl can take the team out of the basement alone. He possesses no leadership qualities.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This is getting really bizarre. If nothing else, it has revealed how utterly dependent the club has been on McDavid to carry them many nights. When he is merely a good player instead of Superman, they cannot get it done.

But, lots of the usual revisionist nonsense being posted on here by people who still think the Cup is awarded in November. The Oilers were a good club last season. They were the 2nd-best team in the second half, and they were even with the Stanley Cup champs after four games, including spanking them twice.

It seems a "perfect storm" of bad has hit them all at once to start this season:
-- too much emphasis on playoffs, so they forgot to try in the regular season
-- too much invested in Skinner, thanks to Campbell's being unreliable
-- power play suddenly went cold (getting okay now thanks to 2nd unit)
-- McDavid injury
-- Eckholm injury

All last season, their PK kind of sucked and they had problems holding leads for longer than 50 seconds, so those tendencies are just par for the course. But these other things are getting weird.

You know who I feel bad for in all of this? I feel bad for Stu Skinner. I think Skinner could be---and probably will be, again---a very good NHL goalie. But he's been forced into the 'starter' role sooner than was ideal thanks to Campbell's grand fail in contracting Jack Campbell for five years.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I find that hard to believe, but then again I thought they would come out pissed off last night and spank the Canucks.
They did come out pissed off playing their playoff A game and outshooting Canucks 19-2 in the first 15 minutes and getting the first goal. Their problem was Canucks woke up after and spanked them like their daddy would after acting out lol 😆

Reactions: Rob Brown and MCR74

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The way they played was completely different last season, not referencing the personnel. Trust me, I'm an Oiler fan so I would know.

It wasn't just the ridiculous PP that they rode. They were a good 5 on 5 team. the bottom 6 all significantly outscored the opponent and contributed plenty of offense, their defense was top 10 after the Ekholm addition and Skinner actually made saves. As I said, it was a different team.

Oh, I'd love to see proof of all the brilliant posters that predicted the Oilers would be 2-9 in their first 11. Lets see those "receipts", talk is cheap.
Maybe there were a few perennial haters who have nothing better to do with their time but trash the Oilers that predicted but no normal poster predicted THIS or at least very few.
You got blinders on man lol. Obviously the team is playing differently, look at their record. The truth is, it's still the same team and personal as last year. Didn't the Oilers come into this season wanting to play more defence lol? And this is the result?

They'll fire the coach, you'll go on a little run, and then a bunch of Oiler fans will be thinking they're back.

They will never be a legit contender with those goalies and that d.

Reactions: Fatass

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
McDavid can just turn it back on and they'll easily crush a weak division. Who are you all kidding?
We will see, so far they have kept getting spanked by the Canucks team which everyone was saying would miss the playoffs. Destroyed in 2 of those games 8-1 and 6-2. I wouldn't be too confident about a turn around right away unless Holland does something major

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
They did come out pissed off playing their playoff A game and outshooting Canucks 19-2 in the first 15 minutes and getting the first goal. Their problem was Canucks woke up after and spanked them like their daddy would after acting out lol 😆

They were so pissed off, Woodcroft was ejected.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nah, the Oilers were legit good after the Ekholm addition. It's absurd to say that teams just laid down for the Oilers with McDavid who every team gets up for. The Oilers were, I believe, the 2nd best team in the league in 2023 so all their opponents were "resting" or "not going 100%"? That's a ridiculous take, even for you.

No one said they saw this much regression, just that it was very easy to see what they did at then end or last season wasn’t something they could sustain long term.

Teams also don’t “get up” for the Oilers, they’ve never been a bench mark team you play against to gauge skill. Edmonton over achieved on what was probably the easiest section of their season.

I get that it’s tough to think about since it’s your team, but there is a reason most fans laughed when people started penciling Edmonton in as a contender this year

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Lol yeah fair. Still didn't end up well.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Do they deserve it? Yes.

IMG_8879.gif

Reactions: andora

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Folks are overlooking that the Oilers are now very consistently scoring only one or two goals per game. That's not going to get it done even with a quality defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad