Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It blows my mind that they continue to create a one line team after all this time. There first line is the top forwards and the highest paid.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Nugent-Hopkins - Gagner
Foegele - McLeod - Ryan
Holloway - Hamblin - Lavoie

They need to manufacture depth, so there is threat on each line.

Foegele - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Gagner
McLeod - Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Just WILD to me that the Bruins are paying like $750k more for their goalie duo than the Oilers are for their “goaltending”

Reactions: Look Up

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It blows my mind that they continue to create a one line team after all this time. There first line is the top forwards and the highest paid.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Nugent-Hopkins - Gagner
Foegele - McLeod - Ryan

They need to manufacture depth, so there is threat on each line.

Foegele - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Gagner
McLeod - Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan
Did you watch last night's game? They did spread the wealth but it's not enough when you have crappy goalie and D

LaCarriere

It's still really early, but they've dug themselves about as big a hole as possible to start the year. Realistically they probably need to go about .600 the rest of the year to make the playoffs. (Would put them at 44 wins)

I think they can do that, because I don't believe their goaltending will continue to be THIS bad, but if it doesn't improve soon, they're going to have to give up some serious assets to get someone in net.
I don't think you'll see any blockbuster
moves. Without knowing the future of
McDavid and drai It would be crazy to trade away any assets for an organization that might be rebuilding again after the end of next year.

With their star players looking human and that defense, I don't know that even a top 5 goalie in the league is the answer. There's almost too much to be fixed all at once.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Doesn't seem like they are getting the penalty calls they have the last couple years. That is where the Oil did their damage. RNH having a career year last year as well. Now injuries I just don't se them getting to the playoffs.

If they lose the San Jose next game....oh boy.

BrendanGaunce4Selke

Oct 11, 2023
Doesn't seem like they are getting the penalty calls they have the last couple years. That is where the Oil did their damage. RNH having a career year last year as well. Now injuries I just don't se them getting to the playoffs.

If they lose the San Jose next game....oh boy.
they can't draw penaltys. when they were on fire in the 1ST period they drew a penalty and scored on it

play hard. get powerplays

play weak get nothing

Reactions: Neil Racki

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
There will be trolls that say their finished and Oilers fans that still think they will win the cup. The absurd takes will go both ways.

Edmonton could get it together and make playoffs. Let’s be honest it’s still very possible. I’d assume most agree they won’t be serious cup contenders unless they address several issues, which I don’t see how that happens this year.

Saying all that, I’m not going to hide that I’m really enjoying this for the time being at least. Hope it keeps up. It’s been a real fun start.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
They depended on their powerplay to win games. It was a crazy number last year with PP success. It was not sustainable long term. They need to figure out the 5 on 5 part.

McDavid 5 on 5 numbers are 3rd line level

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
I am crossing my fingers and hoping for an Oiler win vs SJ because you know that a loss will trigger a housecleaning that might actually lead to some kind of improvement over there...
SJ going to circle this game on the calendar because it will be their best chance to get their first win.

Reactions: seamore and Profet

LaCarriere

I didn't take part in any of this but if anyone wonders why this thread went 38 pages its because over the last 3-4 years Oilers fans made it their personal mission to make every thread on HFBoards about the Flames, Leafs or any forward not named McDavid or Draisaitl so toxic that it had to be closed by a mod.

Do they deserve it? Yes.
Fans of Canadian teams bashing other Canadian teams is laughable, no matter who's chirping who.

Other than montreals improbable cup run during the first covid season, what has any Canadian team done lately? Most are just looking to sniff the playoffs, or just "exist" in mediocrity. The leafs manage to put together decent regular seasons and then their stars routinely check out in the playoffs.

It's like it's a requirement to be able to mismanage a team into the ground to get a front office job on any Canadian team.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
*Checks last nights scores... see Nucks/Oil score.. clicks on main board on HF*

olliehansen.gif

*shows self out*

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There will be trolls that say their finished and Oilers fans that still think they will win the cup. The absurd takes will go both ways.

If anything I think it’s the opposite at this point. Nobody is more realistically depressed about this than Oilers fans. And the only people who seem to think this is just a “slow start” are casual fans of other teams who don’t fully understand just how structurally flawed this team from top to bottom from management to players.

Anemia

aka lack of Iron Man
Apr 24, 2007
Great White North
Right now oilers need to score 6 goals a game to win. Their D’s Corsi is good.
No one is going to do them any favours on the goalie trade front. No one wants soupy

Three 1st overalls between 2010 and Draisaitl. Then another with McDavid the following year… we’re supposed to feel bad for the oilers?
Pretty sure no one wants you to feel bad for the Oilers. The main boards obsession with them humors me though, keep pretending you guys know what is happening. It's fun to watch.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I still think they make the playoffs, but they're at the point where they need to do something. Coaching change, trade, waive Campbell to call a goalie up, etc. They have the second fewest points in the NHL and the second worst goal differential. Its early, but its not THAT early.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Everyone talks about how expansion doesn't thin the talent pool because Vegas is good and Seattle is okay. But then I look at the bottom sixes and defense cores of the Leafs and Oilers and I think maybe people are looking in the wrong place. Woof.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
They seem to have an absolutely brutal stretch of hockey every year, including last season. They're a team that's fully capable of going on a heater and winning ten games in a row. What they need to keep in mind is that a poor stretch of hockey like this one may underscore more fundamental flaws with the roster construction (a criticism that applies equally to the club I cheer for).

I admit, I personally thought they'd be much better than this, and I still think they'll pull out of the nosedive. But it is quite a nosedive. Sheesh.

Random question for Oilers fans. Have they ever tried Bouchard at forward? He seems to have decent offensive instincts, pretty good frame, playing wing could probably mask some of the defensive issues. I don't have enough knowledge on the player to really know if that's a good or bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad