Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I don’t see the goaltending as an issue, the bigger issue is the defence in front of them. Once Ekholm is 100% I suspect we are a better team.

When your #1 forward and #1 defenceman are hurt you can expect to struggle, especially with a team that has nonexistent depth

I agree, their D core is the biggest issue. You can put Jack Campbell on Carolina and he would be a runner up for the Vezina every year.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Watching this game vs Canucks its clear McDavid is 100% playing injured.
Nope that’s just the new normal for McDavid. Look at him, aging like milk
CUnA7bt.jpg

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What’s the solution? Do you think there is one, or do they just have to stand pat and hope for the best while the clock on McDavid & Draisaitl’s contracts run out?

Imo, they have to do something, and soon. You cannot just sit on your hands while the clock ticks away, and risk wasting two generational talents. That would be like the 80s Oilers, Mario era Pens, or the Crosby/Malkin era Pens never getting the job done.

They need a bonafide 1D, a legit starting goaltender, and either a strong defensive center or another quality winger, maybe two. The problem is they have no expendable assets and no cap flexibility. The Nurse and Campbell contracts really might be the nails in the coffin for the team’s Cup chances, unless they can do something to rebalance the roster. If they had actually got what they paid for with those two, they might’ve won already or they could get away with hoping for the best with what they’ve got, but obviously that’s not what happened. So here we are.

Imo, a couple big pieces are going to need to be moved to have a chance to salvage this whole thing (McDavid era), which leads us to pretty much the only two options, as the idea of trading McDavid defeats the purpose of even trying to do anything and is pointless to talk about. Basically, they are going to have to make a move that is going to hurt. They’re out of options. The tinkering deadline deals haven’t worked. A Hail Mary shakeup level deal is required at this point, imo.

Enter Draisaitl and RNH. Having 3 elite offensive centers is redundant and doesn’t work, as evidenced by, well, the current Oilers. These are the only assets they have that could possibly bring in what they need, or at least some/most of it. They may be able to get away with running with Skinner, if he turns a corner, so the focus should be on the other pieces they need. It’s a gamble they need to take (prioritizing the other needs over goaltending). I’m not saying they need to trade both, but that’s what they have to trade. Nuge won’t return a top defenseman, but maybe they trade him for a defensive center of similar value, or a younger defensive 3C with upside + a top-six winger.

That leaves Draisaitl. Trading him is their best shot at acquiring a top 10 NHL D, even though those rarely get traded. I think they need to try. If not a top 10 NHL D, then maybe one in the 11-30 range + another top six winger or something else.

And yes, I know Oilers fans are going to respond to the idea of trading Draisaitl with vitriol. I’ve heard it before. If that’s your take, you are welcome to post it, but we’ve all heard it before.

Last edited:

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Nah, the season is done. Sit on everything and just let the year go by at this point.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Trading Drais sounds crazy at first but usually teams don’t make these type of moves until it’s too late and their value is down cause they’re basically a rental by then.

To make a move like that you need a ballsy but also smart gm to make it work. I don’t Holland is the guy for that. You could say the first step fixing the oilers is forcing Holland into retirement.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Step 1: don’t hire a CEO who has a conflict of interest
Step 2: put Connor brown n waivers and prevent him from getting his bonus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't believe that the solution to EDM's problems is to trade Drai or McDavid, and even if it was, would you trust Holland to make the trade?

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
If they don't trade McDrai they probably have to trade RNH despite his sweetheart contract.

Explore a trade like RNH for Pesce and one of the Carolina goalies. Or RNH + Campbell (retained) for Carlo + a Boston goalie as a base. They may not have the assets to make it happen but those are the templates to look at.

Gotta find a way to get rid of Campbell because Nurse and his contract aren't going anywhere.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Can someone explain what Woodcroft new defence system is? Like is it just a bad system or are his own players just not following it and tuning him out? Or is just a system that doesn’t suit the players he has? I get their defence has always been an issue but teams are going through their defence this season like it’s pond hockey.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can't believe that the solution to EDM's problems is to trade Drai or McDavid, and even if it was, would you trust Holland to make the trade?

Holland needs to hit a grand slam and pull off a Draisaitl for McAvoy level trade. Franchise altering but bold and a statement trade that sends a message to everyone in the locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad