Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I have no doubt that few teams that started 2-7 (or similar) have made the playoffs. The problem with looking at that stat in a vacuum is that I'm sure the vast majority of teams to start that poorly had a worse roster than this year's Oilers, so they're certain to have a better chance than others in that situation.

Not saying they will or won't make it, I just don't think that number is super relevant.
Well the Oilers have the worst SV% and goalie tandem in the league and their D is terrible. It's not like the Oilers team has world class roster top to bottom. For comparisons, the Sharks giving up 10 goals against in back to back games still beat the Oilers goalie tandem. Let that sink in for a minute. And we all know how vital the goaltending position is in the NHL. Just ask the Canucks

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
With that division, I'd say they'll probably still make it.

But they've got a lot of work to do if they want to be a major threat come playoff time, if they make it that far.
The top 3 in the Pacific are better (in record) than any other division thusfar, while the bottom teams (Sharks, Flames, Oilers) are further back than any other division. The gap is as bad as it can be. They are 7 points out of the wildcard right now and 10 points out of third in the division. They can still make it but would have to go at a near Presidents Trophy level the rest of the way to get into the wildcard. With McDrai thats always possible, theyve won at that rate before but the Pacific is not a joke right now and they have to get to winning damn soon if they are going to outcompete like 5 other teams for that wildcard. Could be 12 points behind Vancouver end of day tomorrow.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
With that division? They are already 11 points behind LA for 3rd place LMAO. Pacific division is not weaker than any other division. It's so dumb how people keep parroting how weak that division is.
It's funny considering how one of the Sportsnet analyst talked about how the Pacific is actually the strongest division in the league. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because we have SJ sharks as freebie points. They definitely aren't the weakest division though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Of course they are at risk of missing the playoffs. They are already 11 points back of 3rd in the division. That's still a lot to make up even with 70 games left. They could be in the mix for the wildcard with a bunch of other teams. Playoffs are definitely at risk now.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I'm starting to get concerned, but if McD starts playing again like himself they will be fine.
My biggest concern is that the Oilers seem to have rushed him back from the injury.

If they do make the playoffs, overcoming this start and the Vancouver game may actually help them.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I'm starting to get concerned, but if McD starts playing again like himself they will be fine.
My biggest concern is that the Oilers seem to have rushed him back from the injury.

If they do make the playoffs, overcoming this start and the Vancouver game may actually help them.
McDavid is not 100% and that should be a concern to Oilers fans. The more he plays, the more time he would need to recover from the injury. Not sure why they brought him back so soon but I think they made a mistake. He isn't performing like his usual self and that lingering injury won't get better the more he plays.

I still think they finish 2nd in the division
I doubt that now, with the way their goalie and D is playing and McD not at 100%. Last year I would agree with you when they were on a roll, this year just seems different. It's like their goalies got even worst than last year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

McDavid still playing hurt, Ekholm still playing hurt

These are the two best players Edmonton has. The slump looks terrible but once they fully recovery I expect some resurgence

McDavid is not 100% and that should be a concern to Oilers fans. The more he plays, the more time he would need to recover from the injury. Not sure why they brought him back so soon but I think they made a mistake. He isn't performing like his usual self and that lingering injury won't get better the more he plays.

I doubt that now, with the way their goalie and D is playing and McD not at 100%. Last year I would agree with you when they were on a roll, this year just seems different. It's like their goalies got even worst than last year.
I don’t see the goaltending as an issue, the bigger issue is the defence in front of them. Once Ekholm is 100% I suspect we are a better team.

When your #1 forward and #1 defenceman are hurt you can expect to struggle, especially with a team that has nonexistent depth

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

TBH, watching the games, the goalies do not look worst than last year, especially Soup... Their biggest issue (eye test) is the fact that they play a new defensive system and they look lost.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is precisely what they did with Ekholm as well on game #2...The player said he wasnt ready to go..He was rushed back, and clearly looked on the back foot.....Who is making these desperation moves ?

Reactions: GoldenKnight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At this point I think realistically they’re playing for a wildcard spot.
I’m not saying they can’t go on a decent run but their D and goaltending makes the odds of them going on a long sustained run pretty long. No amount of offense (assuming McDrai take off again) can overcome that.
When St. Louis went on their crazy run they had great D and got great goaltending with Binnington. The Oilers don’t have that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
McDavid still playing hurt, Ekholm still playing hurt

These are the two best players Edmonton has. The slump looks terrible but once they fully recovery I expect some resurgence

I don’t see the goaltending as an issue, the bigger issue is the defence in front of them. Once Ekholm is 100% I suspect we are a better team.

When your #1 forward and #1 defenceman are hurt you can expect to struggle, especially with a team that has nonexistent depth
I dont think the Oilers are deep enough to get away with mediocre goaltending..

They were handily dispatched by Vegas last season, and did nothing to improve their roster in the off season..Why would you expect different results.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I dont think the Oilers are deep enough to get away with mediocre goaltending..

They were handily dispatched by Vegas last season, and did nothing to improve their roster in the off season..Why would you expect different results.

I like Skinner, how he is playing is not a true indication of his skill.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
At this point I think realistically they’re playing for a wildcard spot.
I’m not saying they can’t go on a decent run but their D and goaltending makes the odds of them going on a long sustained run pretty long. No amount of offense (assuming McDrai take off again) can overcome that.
When St. Louis went on their crazy run they had great D and got great goaltending with Binnington. The Oilers don’t have that.
Exactly, not sure why it's hard for people to understand this. It's very hard to win in this league if your D and goalie is bad and in Oilers case, their SV% is dead last. You can't win games just relying on offense. This is why the Oilers are an easy team to beat for the Canucks. Canucks have a harder time beating defensive juggernauts but offensive juggernauts with zero defense is something teams like the Canucks will feast on especially in the transition counter attack plays.

I like Skinner, how he is playing is not a true indication of his skill.
Both Campbell and Skinner are mediocre and am not just basing this on their play this year. It goes all the way back from last season. They are not number 1 goalie material. Skinner or Campbell maybe good for backup duty.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
does anyone know what % hockey the Oilers have to play to get enough points to make the playoffs?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
does anyone know what % hockey the Oilers have to play to get enough points to make the playoffs?
If the cutoff is at 95 points, then they need to go 0.642 to make the cutoff.

If it's at 99 points then they would need to go 0.67 all the way

Do people in edmonton call it "E town"
Yep, because that's their average school grade

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If the cutoff is at 95 points, then they need to go 0.642 to make the cutoff.

If it's at 99 points then they would need to go 0.67 all the way

Yep, because that's their average school grade
Thanks.
i dont know if they can go .642 from here on out... last year they were .611 if memory serves correct.
642 also assume they turn it around NOW, rather than playing 600 hockey for a few weeks, then getting better and better etc.
there's a legit chance they dont make it

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oilers need to win the special teams battle to have a chance to come out on top. If their PP gets going (like last year) and they get the calls then they will start winning lots.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
This psycho is back in the news?

Now I’m absolutely sure it’s the curse of Evander Kane stopping the Oilers and not the horrendous d-zone coverage, turnovers, goaltending and lack of finish.
Like how every oiler fans knows exactly how big a shitbag Kane is and yet the first response is to call the lady a psycho. I think I might give her the benefit of the doubt here.

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Thanks.
i dont know if they can go .642 from here on out... last year they were .611 if memory serves correct.
642 also assume they turn it around NOW, rather than playing 600 hockey for a few weeks, then getting better and better etc.
there's a legit chance they dont make it
For them to barely scrape in they would have to win 7 out of 10 for the majority of the rest of the year. They absolutely can do that but not with whatever this defensive "system" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad