Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
People here seem to be way too confident of Oilers chances in making the playoffs this year. The bigger they dig a hole, the harder it is to get out of it even with McDavid. They will face the Canucks tomorrow and their schedule will not get any easier. If their record goes to 2-15 or 3-15, they would be pretty much done imo. Are there any stats to show how many teams made playoffs after starting with a 2-7 record???

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Some consider it karma for the Oilers to employ such an individual....
Really?

I’m sure that’s exactly what it is when the almighty hockey gods rewards an entire organization that covers sexual assault with a generational talent but then causes a team to suck because of a single players personal gambling addiction and being granted custody of his own child.

You sound like Anna.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Really?

I’m sure that’s exactly what it is when the almighty hockey gods rewards an entire organization that covers sexual assault with a generational talent but then causes a team to suck because of a single players personal gambling addiction and being granted custody of his own child.

You sound like Anna.
I think you’re leaving out a few details……

…..and some of your brethren are suggesting the a major player in that “event“ becomes the new coach of the Oilers.

Rough look.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
With that division, I'd say they'll probably still make it.

But they've got a lot of work to do if they want to be a major threat come playoff time, if they make it that far.
You seem so confident bro. Vegas, Canucks and LA are very good so Oilers would be fighting for a wild card spot. The hole they dug is kind of significant but if they keep piling on losses it would be difficult to get out of it.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I think you’re leaving out a few details……

…..and some of your brethren are suggesting the a major player in that “event“ becomes the new coach of the Oilers

Rough look.
Go ahead and elaborate. Please feel free to include your sources.

Not sure a coaching change is in the books right now so why should anyone be dinged for speculation?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Way to early to judge any team....I am amazed at how many people think the season is determined in the first few games of the season...if the Oilers are still playing bad by game 20, then I will be concerned....in the NHL the first 15 to 20 games is no place to judge a teams season...indeed in some cases even longer......the Oilers still have plenty of time to turn this around.
The first 15 to 20 games is basically 25% of the season. If you lose all those games, you would basically need to go perfect the rest of the way. I don't think you grasp how hard it is to make up ground when you are 15 points or more behind. Again I really like the confidence you people have in the Oilers with the way their goaltending and D has played. One thing is that aside from bad goalie, they have bad defense. Very hard to fix and I don't think they can fix it fast enough. There would have to be a trade for goalie and maybe a defenseman and I would guess they need a coaching change to kick-start the team now. Woody is not that good of a coach imo. Maybe get Bruce Boudreau in to kick-start their offense.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Go ahead and elaborate. Please feel free to include your sources.

Not sure a coaching change is in the books right now so why should anyone be dinged for speculation?
I think coaching change is the easiest solution to kick-start the Oilers. They have limited cap space and no one will trade for Campbell and Skinner with they way they are playing and their cap hit. The Oilers would probably need to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick to get rid of either goalie just to creat cap space for a trade.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I think coaching change is the easiest solution to kick-start the Oilers. They have limited cap space and no one will trade for Campbell and Skinner with they way they are playing and their cap hit. The Oilers would probably need to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick to get rid of either goalie just to creat cap space for a trade.
We’ve rotated coaches for over ten years. Given the cap constraints, it comes down to the players we have to get their head out of their ass, up the compete level and start minimizing errors.

The only saving grace is there is still 70 games of runway. Too early to discount any team.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The reality is: You can’t play as well as McDrai have for as long as they have and not burn out when the team never wins.

Would MJ23, Kobe or Lebron ever sustained elite playing ability if their teams never win? It would drag any person down eventually. Not only mentally but physically.

McDrai look gassed and I understand. I think the season is close to a write off. If they go 4-6 or 3-7 over the next 10 they’re done.
If they are gassed now, might as well call the Oilers season a write off because they will need even more energy to get this team out of this funk and into the playoffs. So the more they lose, the more pressure it will put on Drai and McDavid to perform because the rest of their roster is mediocre with a couple of complimentary players and a lame duck GM and coach

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
We’ve rotated coaches for over ten years. Given the cap constraints, it comes down to the players we have to get their head out of their ass, up the compete level and start minimizing errors.

The only saving grace is there is still 70 games of runway. Too early to discount any team.
Again you say it's too early but I know as a Canuck fan that it's very hard to get out of a deep hole.if they go 2-15 or 3-15, it's basically done. Canucks hired Bruce when their record hit 8-15-2 and they went on a huge run, becoming the hottest team in the league at some points in the season yet still failed to make the playoffs and barely missed it. Oilers might have a great offense with McDrai but that defense or their goalies are not that good. The teams that had dug huge holes and got out of it like the Blues barely making the playoffs to win the cup went on an absolute heater and they were stacked in both forward and D position and had the best young up and coming goalie in Bennington who performed like a Vezina caliber goalie. The oilers need to win now, not later because they will have a very hard time catching up to the teams in front.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
for me as a canucks fan the oilers' painful drawn out wasting of the gifts of mcdavid and draisaitl after all the other failed 1oa picks is some measure of karmic repayment for having to endure the 1980s oilers. which is saying a lot because i used to believe that no amount of losing by the oilers in my lifetime would be enough. i still do believe that, actually, but i am getting to the point where if it gets any worse i might have to think about reconsidering.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Everyone loves this Oilers trainwreck. That whole organization is about greed from the top down. They only place they win is money in their bank account.
I just don’t understand fans paying money to see these losers year after year.
Love it!

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
People here seem to be way too confident of Oilers chances in making the playoffs this year. The bigger they dig a hole, the harder it is to get out of it even with McDavid. They will face the Canucks tomorrow and their schedule will not get any easier. If their record goes to 2-15 or 3-15, they would be pretty much done imo. Are there any stats to show how many teams made playoffs after starting with a 2-7 record???
I have no doubt that few teams that started 2-7 (or similar) have made the playoffs. The problem with looking at that stat in a vacuum is that I'm sure the vast majority of teams to start that poorly had a worse roster than this year's Oilers, so they're certain to have a better chance than others in that situation.

Not saying they will or won't make it, I just don't think that number is super relevant.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
With that division, I'd say they'll probably still make it.

But they've got a lot of work to do if they want to be a major threat come playoff time, if they make it that far.

With that division? They are already 11 points behind LA for 3rd place LMAO. Pacific division is not weaker than any other division. It's so dumb how people keep parroting how weak that division is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad