Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Yes they could. So I don't know why you want to tell 10 posters that games in hand don't matter, while also telling me to imagine EDM going on a losing streak. Why don't we imagine Vancouver having EDM's early season PDO and losing 9 games in a row while we're at it? Or NSH going on a 3 game losing streak? Or Hill getting injured and Vegas starting to tank?

The only evidence we have is that the team was not playing well, had key injuries, and goalies couldn't make a save. They then fired the coach, the team is playing better, people are less injured, goalies are making saves.

Is Skinner a 0.943 goalie? Of course not. Is Skinner a 0.860 goalie? Of course not. The team has shown last year, with a largely unchanged roster, that they can play 0.600+ hockey with any goaltending above 0.900. There's still more than 50 games remaining and a trade deadline where some teams in the race will improve and some will sell off.
I never said anything about a winning or losing streak by Edmonton, it is just looking at points gained, points lost and points available.

There is zero excuses for the team being under prepared. Firing the coach at the start along With their overall record supports this.

So you are basically rolling the dice that high offence output will mask average goaltending.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I never said anything about a winning or losing streak by Edmonton, it is just looking at points gained, points lost and points available.

There is zero excuses for the team being under prepared. Firing the coach at the start along With their overall record supports this.

So you are basically rolling the dice that high offence output will mask average goaltending.
Yes, just like it did last year to the tune of a 109 point season.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
On Nov.23 the Oilers had 11 points on a record of 5-12-1, they have since won 6 straight (11-12-1) for a total of 23 points.

During that same time:
- NSH were 5 points ahead, added 12 points and are still 5 points ahead.
- ARI were 7 points ahead, added 10 points and are still 5 points ahead.
- MIN were 3 points ahead, added 8 points and are now 1 point back.
- STL were 10 points ahead, added 6 points and are still 4 points ahead.

Oilers just won 6 straight and all they have to show is passing SEA (who are tanking) and ANA (who lost 6). No ground on Nash, 2 points on Ari and Minn kept pace.

When you are playing from behind like the Oilers all the other teams you are chasing also play each other and gain points which automatically increases the gap.
are you conveinently leaving out how the oilers have played several games less than those teams during that time period? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1specter

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
What’s with all the narrative crap? LMAO….it’s just a hockey board and I am way too high so just settle down. There are 116 points available for the Oilers and they have to play 600 hockey just to make 93 points (23 current plus 70 points playing .600) which is the projected cut line to make the playoffs.

I just showed you that winning 6 games in a row may not be enough since other teams will gain at the same time. Yes, I get the games in hand and all that but that is not part of what I am trying to illustrate.
now your posts make a lot more sense....

Reactions: WestCoast CyberG

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
are you conveinently leaving out how the oilers have played several games less than those teams during that time period? lol
Nope….it’s quite simple really.

It will take somewhere between 92-94 points to earn a playoff spot this season. The total points available at the start of the year is 164 (82 games * 2 pt).

The first 24 games Oilers gained 23 points for a 0.479 win % (23/48). They need 69 points to hit the 92 point mark.

There are 116 points still available of which the oilers need at least 69 points to total 92. That is a 595 winning percengage, which is totally doable by Edmonton standards.

Now….if the NHL only had Wins or Losses it would be this simple.…the problem is the NHL hands out points for losing. So you will get OT wins against LA and Calgary (for example) but only gain 1 point on each. Very frustrating. It’s partially why looking at games at hand can be very deceiving.

Last year Calgary had 17 points from losing in OT.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Nope….it’s quite simple really.

It will take somewhere between 92-94 points to earn a playoff spot this season. The total points available at the start of the year is 164 (82 games * 2 pt).

The first 24 games Oilers gained 23 points for a 0.479 win % (23/48). They need 69 points to hit the 92 point mark.

There are 116 points still available of which the oilers need at least 69 points to total 92. That is a 595 winning percengage, which is totally doable by Edmonton standards.

Now….if the NHL only had Wins or Losses it would be this simple.…the problem is the NHL hands out points for losing. So you will get OT wins against LA and Calgary (for example) but only gain 1 point on each. Very frustrating. It’s partially why looking at games at hand can be very deceiving.

Last year Calgary had 17 points from losing in OT.

It’s not as complicated as you’re pretending it is.

Their opening stumble happened early enough where the team could recover without being required to play .800 hockey for at least half a season, like this same exact team did over the entire second half of last season.

We’re not talking about a situation where the Oilers are concluding the first half with an 11-27-2 record, which is what their 5-12-1 start projects to for 41 games.

There’s still 58 games left. Unless McDavid gets sidelined again, the division itself is more in play than actually missing the playoffs.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
It’s not as complicated as you’re pretending it is.

Their opening stumble happened early enough where the team could recover without being required to play .800 hockey for at least half a season, like this same exact team did over the entire second half of last season.

We’re not talking about a situation where the Oilers are concluding the first half with an 11-27-2 record, which is what their 5-12-1 start projects to for 41 games.

There’s still 58 games left. Unless McDavid gets sidelined again, the division itself is more in play than actually missing the playoffs.
I’m not pretending this is complicated…because it’s not.

Edmonton used up any mistakes they could afford during the season in the fist month. They now have to go most of the season without consecutive loses and avoid OTL, especially inter-division.

I am not predicting this will happen but any combo of losses or OTL within the WC teams and the Oilers have no room to recover as the season ticks away.

• Haha
Reactions: Macheteops

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I’m not pretending this is complicated…because it’s not.

Edmonton used up any mistakes they could afford during the season in the fist month. They now have to go most of the season without consecutive loses and avoid OTL, especially inter-division.

I am not predicting this will happen but any combo of losses or OTL within the WC teams and the Oilers have no room to recover as the season ticks away.

Trust me, they’re going to lose consecutive games multiple times, and they’ll be just fine. Not a big deal.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers losing, posters love this thread. Oilers start winning and the same posters want thread locked.

It is a long season and the mods may just want to keep the Oilers "discussion" in one thread.

But my guess is with the first Oilers loss a new thread will be created right away

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If I am not mistaken 3 pts in the next 2 games and they already tie Nashville for the last wildcard playoff spot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad