Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It pains me everytime we play Dallas to see Vern Fiddler but that off-season we should have went hard after him. He's the exact player this team needs in it's bottom six. I mean it would still be the same issue now with RNH and Gagner though. I don't understand how they don't pay for someone to come in and teach these kids, like literally a clinic not a veteran player.

we have a better version of fiddler in ryan jones, this team misses him alot more than they think.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
we have a better version of fiddler in ryan jones, this team misses him alot more than they think.

Ryan Jones sucks, it still blows my mind that so many Oiler fans are in love with the guy. He'd be one of the first guys I'd be shipping out for an upgrade.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006

LOL what? Jones wins FO's at a 53.4% clip?

No doubt we miss him but I'm not even sure how you make that compareable.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ryan Jones sucks, it still blows my mind that so many Oiler fans are in love with the guy. He'd be one of the first guys I'd be shipping out for an upgrade.
We have no scoring in the bottom 6 and you want to trade Jones? Wow.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006

That penalty was pretty damn soft, Petry's stick tapped the left side of Brown's ankle and that it. Didn't get tangled up or anything. It was a typical Kings dive. Dustin Brown is a love or hate guy but the dude is huge and hard to knock off his feet until he feels a stick on his ankles.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
We have no scoring in the bottom 6 and you want to trade Jones? Wow.

Presumeably the "upgrade" would be a better overall player than Jones. However I don't get what teams Oiler fans think are out there that will just trade you a better player for our junk.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Wow. I only looked at the first 3 pages of this thread and holy negativity! I imagine how different this thread would be if we scored the goal with 30 seconds left? I'm sure our team would not have sucked as hard as they apparently did last night.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
so did the oilers hit 40% in the faceoff circle last night?
I wonder how much it costs the team to be chasing the puck all the time because they can't win a draw.

No. Player Pos G A P +/- PIM S Hits BkS GvA TkA FO% TOI
2 J. Petry D 0 0 0 0 2 1 3 1 1 0 - 20:19
4 T. Hall L 0 1 1 -3 0 2 3 0 1 1 33% 21:48
5 L. Smid D 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 2 0 0 - 16:36
6 R. Whitney D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 3 2 - 17:24
14 J. Eberle R 0 0 0 -3 0 3 1 0 2 1 - 20:40
15 N. Schultz D 0 0 0 -2 0 1 2 1 1 0 - 19:28
19 J. Schultz D 0 1 1 -3 0 1 0 0 1 1 - 21:33
20 E. Belanger C 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 30% 15:47
45 M. Fistric D 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 2 1 - 19:54
54 C. VandeVelde C 0 0 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 0 50% 8:19
55 B. Eager L 0 0 0 0 0 1 7 1 1 0 - 11:13
56 T. Hartikainen L 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 - 13:01
64 N. Yakupov R 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 - 13:40
83 A. Hemsky R 0 0 0 -1 0 2 0 0 0 1 100% 14:54
89 S. Gagner C 1 0 1 -1 0 4 1 2 0 1 36% 16:20
91 M. Paajarvi L 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 - 9:32
93 Nugent-Hopkins C 0 0 0 -3 0 3 1 2 0 0 42% 21:28
94 R. Smyth L 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 100% 14:36

From NHL.com

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Like the Fistric trade?

Khabibulin will be gone soon enough, then everyone can get ticked off that we don't have a decent backup.

How about a trade or acquisition during the season. You know. Where you assess how your team is ACTUALLY performing and make a judgement based on that. Like for instance...I don't know...say most of your centers are injured...and you team can't win a faceoff...maybe you look at getting some center depth. I know its crazy and it probably wouldn't happen, but still...:dunno:

Or maybe after getting Fistric, there are still glaring needs on the back end. Purely hypothetical...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That penalty was pretty damn soft, Petry's stick tapped the left side of Brown's ankle and that it. Didn't get tangled up or anything. It was a typical Kings dive. Dustin Brown is a love or hate guy but the dude is huge and hard to knock off his feet until he feels a stick on his ankles.

It was weak, but the replay did show his ankle snap in, can see how he'd lose his balance.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Presumeably the "upgrade" would be a better overall player than Jones. However I don't get what teams Oiler fans think are out there that will just trade you a better player for our junk.

It could happen, but at the same time you're probably taking a bigger contract back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How about a trade or acquisition during the season. You know. Where you assess how your team is ACTUALLY performing and make a judgement based on that. Like for instance...I don't know...say most of your centers are injured...and you team can't win a faceoff...maybe you look at getting some center depth. I know its crazy and it probably wouldn't happen, but still...:dunno:

Or maybe after getting Fistric, there are still glaring needs on the back end. Purely hypothetical...

How many teams are making trades during the year? There are teams in far worse shape than us and they aren't doing anything yet.

Yes there are glaring needs on that back end, what you suggest they do?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
They lost last night due to mental errors, lack of confidence and too much passive play not lack of personnel. They were getting sloppy near the end of the game and not reacting to the changing ice conditions. The ice was getting bad and they continued to try and play a fancy game while the puck was bouncing all over the place.

To many turnovers, they had double what LA had. Until they can reduce those and learn to play defensive hockey there not going to make the playoffs. I'd like Krueger to look at a more conservative system like the 1-2-2, since we suck on the boards. Then have guys jump up and take advantage of mistakes made by the other team. IMO a boring win is better then an exciting loss.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Did you fail to see that they still have to jump over 3 teams to get into the playoffs and that the 3 teams behind them in the standings have only 1 or 2 points less and 2 games in hand on the 8th spot? Not to mention all those teams(8th-14th) have more wins in their last 10 as well.

Nope, not at all. It's a race and they're in the hunt. And did you fail to see that Dallas and Phoenix currently hold the last two playoff spots? If you think they're staying there, you're out of your mind.

As for the the teams below us, the only one worth remotely worrying about is LA.

And who cares who has more wins in their last 10? What matters is who has more wins in 48 games.

This is a shortened NHL season and momentum can change on a dime ... it can take one game, one period or one shift and the complexion of the game changes in an instant (see last night's game).

I'd be foolish to count the Oilers out of the playoffs at this point, just as I'd be foolish to predict they're a lock for playoffs. Bottom line is, they're in the mix.

Prior to the season, if you were told that our D and goaltending would perform quite well during the first quarter of the season, wouldn't it give you confidence in the Oilers? The fact that their offence is lagging is IMO reason for hope. That's a part of their game that can change and can change pretty quickly.

But, keep writing the epitaph, because that's the easy thing to do right now.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'll rehash my thoughts from a few weeks ago on what I think ST 'could' do....Obviously not knowing the possibility of such.

We need to keep our top 5 core...Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak and J Schultz...

I think we need to add some toughness/faceoff ability in there with them so..again..rehash.

I have trouble believing we don't have the assets to aquire ROR..He is strong both defensively and offensively, good on faceoffs and pk, etc..I also believe Gagner plus could probably do it..That plus may be a 2nd round but most likely a good D prospect..maybe Musil/Marincin?

I love Hemsky and have been a supporter of his for years but, if we want to move forward with the kids, we also need a change here. Hemsky's value is probably pretty high right now and I'm sure would garner a good 2nd line winger with some size from a team that has those but need more skill in their lineup...even if we have to add slightly for an overpay. Haven't looked enough to see who that would be...would LA do Clifford? Is Clowe or Malone available? I don't know..Our GM should know all this.

I think we should give up an asset to aquire Boyle from the NYR...Again, I don't think it would need to be high end, like a 1st or Klefbom, but we must have something the Rangers could use..A good GM could figure that out.
We still need another top 4 D but unless ST can be creative with the remaining assets or in the Hemmer deal, we may have to wait for FA or draft or...Klefbom??
Would you trade Musil/Marincin + Harti and a 1st round for Myers? He's young with top pairing potential, despite his current struggles. This wouldn't immediately fix the D but good futures..Is there be a D available via trade that would solve some of our needs for a couple of years without touching the kids? Maybe some team as an abundance and would like some prospects/picks?

That would leave us with:

Hall-ROR-Eberle
Clifford?-RNH-Yakupov
Eager-Boyle-Jones
Smyth-Belanger-MPS
VV

J Schultz-N Schultz
Petry-Smid
Myers-Fistric

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How many teams are making trades during the year? There are teams in far worse shape than us and they aren't doing anything yet.

Yes there are glaring needs on that back end, what you suggest they do?

Been lots of guys on waivers... and Tambo could have done more in the off season. I think his only move was acquiring Fistric IIRC.

Edit: He also added J. Schultz last July.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary

OK, I'm not much for trade suggestions, but when you talk like this, you have to provide a realistic trade option that Tambo should pursue. Keaton Ellerby? And please do suggest some centres - they are not easy to get. Not at all. Go ahead, suggest Ryan O'Reilly and then tell me what we send the other way to get him.

Hey, if you want him to sign Brett Clark to give him a look, I'm OK with that. But what else is out there that will ACTUALLY improve the team?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nope, not at all. It's a race and they're in the hunt. And did you fail to see that Dallas and Phoenix currently hold the last two playoff spots? If you think they're staying there, you're out of your mind.

As for the the teams below us, the only one worth remotely worrying about is LA.

And who cares who has more wins in their last 10? What matters is who has more wins in 48 games.

This is a shortened NHL season and momentum can change on a dime ... it can take one game, one period or one shift and the complexion of the game changes in an instant (see last night's game).

I'd be foolish to count the Oilers out of the playoffs at this point, just as I'd be foolish to predict they're a lock for playoffs. Bottom line is, they're in the mix.

Prior to the season, if you were told that our D and goaltending would perform quite well during the first quarter of the season, wouldn't it give you confidence in the Oilers? The fact that their offence is lagging is IMO reason for hope. That's a part of their game that can change and can change pretty quickly.

Our d has underperformed with the exception of J. Schultz IMO. One of the biggest reason our offense is struggling.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
OK, I'm not much for trade suggestions, but when you talk like this, you have to provide a realistic trade option that Tambo should pursue. Keaton Ellerby? And please do suggest some centres - they are not easy to get. Not at all. Go ahead, suggest Ryan O'Reilly and then tell me what we send the other way to get him.

Hey, if you want him to sign Brett Clark to give him a look, I'm OK with that. But what else is out there that will ACTUALLY improve the team?

Clark's in OKC, Tambo should have a good read on this guy.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Our d has underperformed with the exception of J. Schultz IMO. One of the biggest reason our offense is struggling.

Our D has underperformed offensively you mean? I agree with that. But has our D been better defensively?

I think the main reason our offense is struggling is because our forwards - especially our go to forwards - have failed to capitalize on primo scoring chances. How are our defencemen supposed to change that?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Been lots of guys on waivers... and Tambo could have done more in the off season. I think his only move was acquiring Fistric IIRC.

Edit: He also added J. Schultz last July.

I know it's unfortunate we couldn't have taking that Boychuk kid that everyone wanted. Luckily for Pens he's been a fit with Crosby/Malkin.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
To many turnovers, they had double what LA had. Until they can reduce those and learn to play defensive hockey there not going to make the playoffs. I'd like Krueger to look at a more conservative system like the 1-2-2, since we suck on the boards. Then have guys jump up and take advantage of mistakes made by the other team. IMO a boring win is better then an exciting loss.

Defensively we didnt look that bad for the most part. We didnt give up much in the way of chances but we definitely werent as aggressive in our own zone as the Kings were. We forced play to the outside, gave up shots that werent that dangerous and Khabi controlled the rebounds (much better than last year). I think we need to figure out better ways to operate in the offensive zone. Too often we we're bunched up at the blueline or tried to get to fancy and never got a shot off. I think they need to get it drilled into their heads to shoot the puck and go for rebounds.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Not sure what you're thinking about Phoenix and I imagine you haven't watched them lately.

More scoring depth now and good scoring by committee on that team. A full dozen players contributing multiple goals. ftr we have 7. Major difference right there.

What you get with Phoenix most nights is a club will play its system and outwork opponents on most nights. A team buying in. That is 6-2-2 after a slow start. But a Yotes club now finding its form again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad