Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3-1 : I ain't even mad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Our D has underperformed offensively you mean? I agree with that. But has our D been better defensively?

I think the main reason our offense is struggling is because our forwards - especially our go to forwards - have failed to capitalize on primo scoring chances. How are our defencemen supposed to change that?

Defensively we didnt look that bad for the most part. We didnt give up much in the way of chances but we definitely werent as aggressive in our own zone as the Kings were. We forced play to the outside, gave up shots that werent that dangerous and Khabi controlled the rebounds (much better than last year). I think we need to figure out better ways to operate in the offensive zone. Too often we we're bunched up at the blueline or tried to get to fancy and never got a shot off. I think they need to get it drilled into their heads to shoot the puck and go for rebounds.

The points generate a ton of scoring chances when they can get shots off. Ask any coach and he'll tell you the same thing. The Oiler's don't use them enough and try to get fancy deep in the zone. Also I think both N. Schultz and Smid have regressed a little on the defensive side. So yes I think we have taken a small step backwards there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think last night was enough proof for me that Hartikainen and Paajarvi need to stay together. Hartikainen looked terrible most of the game until he was reunited with Maggie. Paajarvi too. He looked ok throughout, but he had a little more jump after the two were put together.

The return of Jones can't come soon enough. It would allow us to run a decent 3rd line of 94-20-28 and keep 91-54-56 as a really good 4th line. I'm a lot less concerned about the size in the top 6 as everyone else. The kid line is money despite not having a bruiser, and the 2nd line is pretty good too. Ideally someone like Miko Koivu is playing in Gagner's spot, but there aren't many big, top 2Cs on the market these days (or any days). Yakupov is a 1st overall pick and Hemsky makes that whole line go. You can't get rid of either of them and just plug in a random big body in their place. At least not while expecting the same production. Afterall, the 2nd line is made up of 3 of our top 5 scorers including our leading point man.

Good post however IMO Eager needs to slot in there somewhere, that means IMO Smyth comes out of the lineup and we see Eager with Jones.

I also agree about adding size and defensive ability to the 2C slot however IMO we will most likely have to sacrifice some offense there in doing so and hope that as Nail comes into his own he will balance that loss out.

This team has an inferiority complex.

Also, where has J Shultz gone to?

He hasn't been the same since getting hurt 3 games back.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Please list this waiver gold you speak of

Well Mccormick is on waivers today so Tambo should put a claim in for him. Boychuk as someone else said, Pat Maroon, Gragnani, Vandermeer, Kennedy, plus who knows what was on waivers last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nope, not at all. It's a race and they're in the hunt. And did you fail to see that Dallas and Phoenix currently hold the last two playoff spots? If you think they're staying there, you're out of your mind.

As for the the teams below us, the only one worth remotely worrying about is LA.

And who cares who has more wins in their last 10? What matters is who has more wins in 48 games.

This is a shortened NHL season and momentum can change on a dime ... it can take one game, one period or one shift and the complexion of the game changes in an instant (see last night's game).

I'd be foolish to count the Oilers out of the playoffs at this point, just as I'd be foolish to predict they're a lock for playoffs. Bottom line is, they're in the mix.

Prior to the season, if you were told that our D and goaltending would perform quite well during the first quarter of the season, wouldn't it give you confidence in the Oilers? The fact that their offence is lagging is IMO reason for hope. That's a part of their game that can change and can change pretty quickly.

But, keep writing the epitaph, because that's the easy thing to do right now.

Phoenix and Dallas are better teams than the Oilers until proven otherwise, the teams below us L.A. and Calgary are better also, don't know why you're dismissing them so easily. Sure the standings say one thing but the eye test says another. Can you honestly say watching this team night in and night out that it's a playoff team? They are not one of the worst but THE WORST 5 on 5 team in the league, that's where most of the play occurs, 5 on 5. They haven't been a good 5 on 5 team for years, don't see why that will all of a sudden change with virutally the same group of players that we have.

They are small, soft and play no system, just a disorganized mess. They have been keeping afloat due to their goaltending and special teams namely the PKing as of late.
It reminds me of last season when folks around here kept pointing to the record and said not to worry, the team is doing fine. I don't see this team being too different, i would say that they are slightly improved overall but the same exact problems exist.
IMO, it's only a matter of time until the team spirals down the standings. They can't continue to be this poor 5 on 5 and hope for any sustained success especially with this long road trip coming up and i suspect that Dubeybulin is due for a cold stretch. If they finish .500 on this road trip, i'll be pleasantly surprised.
It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities for the Oilers to make the playoffs especially in a season like this but the odds are supremely stacked against them, it's a longshot IMO.

Last edited:

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Not sure what you're thinking about Phoenix and I imagine you haven't watched them lately.

More scoring depth now and good scoring by committee on that team. A full dozen players contributing multiple goals. ftr we have 7. Major difference right there.

What you get with Phoenix most nights is a club will play its system and outwork opponents on most nights. A team buying in. That is 6-2-2 after a slow start. But a Yotes club now finding its form again.

I have watched Phoenix. They're a lunchbucket crew that gets by on hard work and stellar goaltending. They had a nice little - albeit lucky - run in the playoffs, but I smell a pumpkin when the clock strikes midnight. I could be wrong, but I don't see them being able to grind it out again AND get the same kind of goaltending they did last season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I have watched Phoenix. They're a lunchbucket crew that gets by on hard work and stellar goaltending. They had a nice little - albeit lucky - run in the playoffs, but I smell a pumpkin when the clock strikes midnight. I could be wrong, but I don't see them being able to grind it out again AND get the same kind of goaltending they did last season.

They finished with 107, 99 and 97 points the last 3 seasons so that's 3 flukey seasons i guess.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Don't worry about the teams below us? Phoenix, Dallas and Calgary are all better teams than the Oilers until proven otherwise, don't know why you're dismissing them so easily. Sure the standings say one thing but the eye test says another. Can you honestly say watching this team night in and night out that it's a playoff team? They are not one of the worst but THE WORST 5 on 5 team in the league, that's where most of the play occurs, 5 on 5. They haven't been a good 5 on 5 team for years, don't see why that will all of a sudden change with virutally the same group of players that we have.

They are small, soft and play no system, just a disorganized mess. They have been keeping afloat due to their goaltending and special teams namely the PKing as of late.
It reminds me of last season when folks around here kept pointing to the record and said not to worry, the team is doing fine. I don't see this team being too different, i would say that they are slightly improved overall but the same exact problems exist.
IMO, it's only a matter of time until the team spirals down the standings. They can't continue to be this poor 5 on 5 and hope for any sustained success especially with this long road trip coming up and i suspect that Dubeybulin is due for a cold stretch. If they finish .500 on this road trip, i'll be pleasantly surprised.
It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities for the Oilers to make the playoffs especially in a season like this but the odds are supremely stacked against them, it's a longshot IMO.

Not dismissing any teams, least of all the Oilers. And I'm pretty sure I never said the Oilers are a playoff team - I said they're in the mix, which they are (check the standings).

There are ebbs and flows to every season, including this one. Perhaps the Oilers will improve, perhaps not - I just think it's silly to ask for trades and major changes after every loss (or each unconvincing win). I also think people have very short memories about how TRULY bad this team was 3 or 4 years ago.

Like I said, too soon to write them off. Too much talent to dismiss on the Oilers and too much underperforming talent - if performances improve, which they easily could, this team will look much better.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Don't worry about the teams below us? Phoenix, Dallas and Calgary are all better teams than the Oilers until proven otherwise, don't know why you're dismissing them so easily. Sure the standings say one thing but the eye test says another. Can you honestly say watching this team night in and night out that it's a playoff team? They are not one of the worst but THE WORST 5 on 5 team in the league, that's where most of the play occurs, 5 on 5. They haven't been a good 5 on 5 team for years, don't see why that will all of a sudden change with virutally the same group of players that we have.

Calling it right now, we'll be 14th in the western conference by the time the road trip is over and over 7 points out of a play-off spot. Which essentially would eliminate us from contention for the playoffs in a shortened season.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
They finished with 107, 99 and 97 points the last 3 seasons so that's 3 flukey seasons i guess.

READ what I write if you're going to comment on it. I said their playoff run was lucky (which it was - they got horribly outplayed by Chicago, who were let down big time by their goaltending).

They are a well coached team with minimal talent. Maybe their Nashville formula gets them through again or maybe not. It's not like they're kicking A and taking names each game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not dismissing any teams, least of all the Oilers. And I'm pretty sure I never said the Oilers are a playoff team - I said they're in the mix, which they are (check the standings).

There are ebbs and flows to every season, including this one. Perhaps the Oilers will improve, perhaps not - I just think it's silly to ask for trades and major changes after every loss (or each unconvincing win). I also think people have very short memories about how TRULY bad this team was 3 or 4 years ago.

Like I said, too soon to write them off. Too much talent to dismiss on the Oilers and too much underperforming talent - if performances improve, which they easily could, this team will look much better.

Well, i certainly hope so but the track record shows that this team has a long ways to go to even get a sniff of the playoffs. I would be happy if they finished out of the bottom 5, that's a reasonable expectation with this group IMO then Tambellini will have to make changes in the offseason.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Having a great coach, who coaches to there advantage doesn't hurt. Like I said Krueger needs to get us to play more conservative. 1-2-2 on the forecheck and box plus 1 on defense. Give the opposition the boards, because we can't win any battles on them anyway. I don't want to see any d men below the goal line unless we have full control of the puck.

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
Calling it right now, we'll be 14th in the western conference by the time the road trip is over and over 7 points out of a play-off spot. Which essentially would eliminate us from contention for the playoffs in a shortened season.

Ouch.
GF over/under on the road trip? im saying an even 9GF in 9GP
All PP goals, lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
READ what I write if you're going to comment on it. I said their playoff run was lucky (which it was - they got horribly outplayed by Chicago, who were let down big time by their goaltending).

They are a well coached team with minimal talent. Maybe their Nashville formula gets them through again or maybe not. It's not like they're kicking A and taking names each game.

My point is that they have had 3 great seasons in a row, it's a sustained period of success, nothing flukey about it.
The way the league is trending, teams like Phoenix tend to do well in the playoffs. It's defense first, grind out victories 2-1 type of stuff, Phoenix is built perfectly for those type of games and Tippett is the right coach. It's boring as sin but they execute that system to a T.
All you have to do is get to the playoffs to have a chance at a run and Phoenix has done that with ease the last 3 seasons.
The Oilers fluked out big time in '06 playing a similar system but it counts all the same.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
We have no scoring in the bottom 6 and you want to trade Jones? Wow.

I like Jones but let's be realistic with what we expect him to do here. He's a great energy player and good on the PK. Basically a good bottom 6 guy.

That said, he's not a bottom 6 goal scoring machine...

If you look at his goal scoring the last 2 seasons it looks fine but it's nothing special.

10/11 18 goals.
11/12 17 goals.

If we break down the numbers a bit it becomes a little bit of a different story.

Good company = playing top 6 and on the PP.
Bad company = playing bottom 6 and PK.

10/11
Good company: 6 goals.
Bad company: 12 goals.
11/12
Good company: 10 goals.
Bad company: 7 goals.

I know this should be weighed against ice time on bottom 6, top 6, PP and PK but even without that it does give us a hint of how Jones have been playing in the bottom 6 (I counted PRV/Gagner/Jones as bad company). He's not going to save this team in any way with his goal scoring. He'll probably bag a goal every 5-6 games as he has done for the last two seasons. That's basically the pace Horcoff was on before his injury and Paajarvi is on now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Jones but let's be realistic with what we expect him to do here. He's a great energy player and good on the PK. Basically a good bottom 6 guy.

That said, he's not a bottom 6 goal scoring machine...

If you look at his goal scoring the last 2 seasons it looks fine but it's nothing special.

10/11 18 goals.
11/12 17 goals.

If we break down the numbers a bit it becomes a little bit of a different story.

Good company = playing top 6 and on the PP.
Bad company = playing bottom 6 and PK.

10/11
Good company: 6 goals.
Bad company: 12 goals.
11/12
Good company: 10 goals.
Bad company: 7 goals.

I know this should be weighed against ice time on bottom 6, top 6, PP and PK but even without that it does give us a hint of how Jones have been playing in the bottom 6 (I counted PRV/Gagner/Jones as bad company). He's not going to save this team in any way with his goal scoring. He'll probably bag a goal every 5-6 games as he has done for the last two seasons. That's basically the pace Horcoff was on before his injury and Paajarvi is on now.
It's nothing special, but it's better than what we have.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I knew the Oilers would have some struggles this season, but I never expected it to be the offence and goal scoring. And even if the Oilers do make the playoffs this year, I just don't see them having much success with the more physical and defensive grind of the playoffs.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Besides what you describe as a winning formula I already mentioned the scoring depth, offense by committee that is a hallmark of this nature of team being able to consistently do well.

Tight checking games AND you can't keep them off the scoresheet. You really underestimate how many players on that club can produce. I think because they don't play a fancy game people mistake there being no skill there.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ouch.
GF over/under on the road trip? im saying an even 9GF in 9GP
All PP goals, lol

I think thats fairly realistic. I see the Blues and Predators shutting them out, with them scoring a few against Colorado.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
My point is that they have had 3 great seasons in a row, it's a sustained period of success, nothing flukey about it.
The way the league is trending, teams like Phoenix tend to do well in the playoffs. It's defense first, grind out victories 2-1 type of stuff, Phoenix is built perfectly for those type of games and Tippett is the right coach. It's boring as sin but they execute that system to a T.
All you have to do is get to the playoffs to have a chance at a run and Phoenix has done that with ease the last 3 seasons.
The Oilers fluked out big time in '06 playing a similar system but it counts all the same.

Sure it works ... but I still think their playoff run was flukey. Watch all of those series again and tell me which teams they outplayed or what games they outplayed their opponents in?

So, do you want the Oilers to emulate that system? We aren't exactly set up for that and won't be unless we trade away three of RNH, Ebs, Hall and Yak. Chicago would be a more likely model (or even Detroit of seasons past) for Edmonton.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's nothing special, but it's better than what we have.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just saying that people should not expect Jones to be our Messiah... The point about Horcoff and Paajarvi being on the same goal scoring pace as Jones was not to say that they are necessarily better, just that Jones haven't been lighting it up offensively but playing the way he does gets him a lot of supporters (heck, I am one of them).

Bottom line is that Jones is not the solution to this teams problems in the goal scoring department... I still want to see him back in the lineup though.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
If somebody asked me I don't even know what type of system we play. We just look too disorganized and I watch 5-8 games a week of NHL CI minimum. I watch a lot of teams. Good and bad. They have plays they try to success over and over in the defensive and neutral zone. You can tell they practice it.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
On another note, I am quite happy with the results of the teams new conditioning/core strength program I have heard about. The lack of players suffering from (Insert dreaded I-word here) is encouraging to this point. There were several instances last night that in the past would have broken Hemsky into pieces, but he seems to be stronger. Same with most others.

Well said.

In the past, I have often questioned the Oilers' conditioning and rehabilitation programs and staff.

There is a noticeable difference this year... don't know if it's just my perception, or changes have actually been made in the past year or two?

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
Looking at the standings there are quite a few teams still "in the mix" only a 3 game winning/losing streak from a playoff spot, in either conference. For now, problems are going to have to be solved internally (for all teams). The Oilers can't do much about size, but they can work on winning face offs. As a start, getting more shots, adopt a chip and chase game. To me all I hear about is the massive 9 game road trip, and how it's the season. Shouldn't they pay more attention to the games at hand at home?

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It's going to be a bumpy ride. I just REALLY hope to see improvements in systematic play. I am still satisfied a tad with the last two games because the Oilers are getting very good quality scoring chances. The finish is concerning. Yes it will even out, but it might be too late.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
kowal was one of the refs during the last LA game, which was another travesty of refereeing... the kings were hooking and holding all freaking night and there were just no calls... but brown literally falls down on his own, without the petry's stick even touching him, and its a penalty? hall was hooked in one the most obvious penalty situations you could possibly see, and there was no call in the 3rd period... when hemsky went for his little skate in the 3rd there could have been 2 hooking calls on that play alone

this is only the 2nd time this year i've really complained about the reffing (the other time being the last LA game), so it's not like i do this very often... if the refs call the game like its supposed to be called, then the oilers would have had an additional 3 or 4 PPs last night... this is why i'm not really upset about the game result, if one team is allowed to illegally shut down the other teams strength (LA hooking/holding us to prevent our speed), it's not exactly a fair outcome

Agreed with most of your comments except Petry hit the outside of Brown's left skate. The ref that was up the ice (and therefore only had half the view), made the call. It was a trip...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad