Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It was in the original law suit. I think the term was a recommendation- though I don’t recall it being verbal or written. Eventually it was removed because they couldn’t find concrete evidence

I don’t think you are.

Ok please lecture me more then.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Weird how most of the other teams that won a Cup during the 2010s are still relatively competitive and yet Chicago went into the shitter.

Bowman made a series of bad trades that helped the downward spiral.
I mean they started their run sooner. The other teams are LA, BOS, PIT,WSH and STL.

Chicago decided to go scorched earth once they realized their window closed. While 4 of those other teams really have no direction right now and should've done the same.

And well Boston is Boston, I don't know how they continue to stay so competitive.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The reason Chicago is poor now is because they won three Stanley Cups in a short period of time. There are no franchises that avoid that downturn caused by a lack of quality futures spent maintaining a competitive roster.
Toews was 29 and Kane 27 when they won’t their last cup. Still in their primes. He mismanaged the team horribly

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I mean they started their run sooner. The other teams are LA, BOS, PIT,WSH and STL.

Chicago decided to go scorched earth once they realized their window closed. While 4 of those other teams really have no direction right now and should've done the same.

And well Boston is Boston, I don't know how they continue to stay so competitive.

Goaltending. Despite a strong regular season last year, I'm not sure they even make the playoffs with even bare average goaltending.

Basically every game they played was an exercise in getting a 1-1 or 2-2 game into OT where they bank a point and hope for another.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Toews was 29 and Kane 27 when they won’t their last cup. Still in their primes. He mismanaged the team horribly
They still won 3 Cups lol. I also heard that Tallon did not want Hossa. He wanted to re-sign Martin Havlat. Bowman pushed heavily for Hossa. Tallon got fired 14 days after free agent frenzy that year

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

LA, Boston, Pitts, and Washington are still at least relatively competitive teams whereas Chicago is one of, if not the worst team in the NHL. Savvy drafting and trades would've mitigated that but here we are.

Then again, we can always just ask Hawks fans how they feel about Bowman right now.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
lol- he didn’t pay jack shit for it. The kid that was sexually assaulted after did.
what do you think should've happened to him?

Even with Kyle Beach- Stan stayed silent for 10 years until it was leaked. He’s a smart enough man to know being “fired” isn’t the avenue that needed to be pursued here. Silence is complicity
why are you assume Bowman knew the extent of sexual assault?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It's no diff than here and on twitter. You'd think it was him all along by the amount of bitching going around.
It's concerning how quickly the reasonable takes on both sides have devolved into subhuman vitriol seemingly overnight. You've got one side with people claiming he should be locked up forever and they key thrown away, while the other is mocking everyone raising legitimate concerns as a "snowflake".

I think the hire was a terrible message to send as an organization and I'm still struggling to find even a hockey reason why hiring Bowman made sense. I also firmly believe that Bowman should never be allowed to be a GM again. I am on the fence about whether he should even be allowed back into the NHL in any capacity, but I learn towards no.

That said, Bowman by all accounts has been working at improving himself and getting involved with organizations dedicated to helping survivors of sexual abuse. Nothing can ever erase what occurred, and I don't think anyone should feel any obligation to forgive or forget in a situation like this. However, given we can't turn back time, Bowman appears to have done everything you can realistically ask of someone in a society that believes in rehabilitation over retaliation.

So while I am strongly against Bowman as a hire, and am currently struggling with where I stand when it comes to supporting this organization, I don't think Bowman is the monster he's been painted as in the discussions I've seen online. I wish him no ill will as a person as long as he continues working on better himself and supporting organizations like the Respect Group. However, he was the wrong hire without question and the Oilers organization deserves to be raked across the coals for putting themselves, their employees, and their fans in such a position.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Something I am finding very curious that Oiler fans are completely ignoring is that only Bowman has been talked about and hinted at for getting a job again.... while not once have we heard a peep from Quenneville or McDonagh.

Anyone want to guess as to why? It seems pretty obvious

Reactions: oilers'72 and K1984

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
LA, Boston, Pitts, and Washington are still at least relatively competitive teams whereas Chicago is one of, if not the worst team in the NHL. Savvy drafting and trades would've mitigated that but here we are.

Then again, we can always just ask Hawks fans how they feel about Bowman right now.
Or Bruin fans with Chiarelli orrrrr Red Wing fans with Holland. I don't like the hiring of Bowman as a GM either.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

So is Calgary all the time too, but what good is it to flirt with just being a playoff contender?

At some point you need to cut losses and do a rebuild.

As for your last comment. How many fan bases ever have anything good to say about an ex-GM or ex-coach?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bowman's downfall aside from the dirt, was rewarding the guys who won them 3 cups and not letting some of them go when they were showing signs of decline. He could have traded Toews, Kane, Keith, even Seabrook before they started breaking down.

Even a team like Vegas is already looking to ship out one of Theodore/Pietrangelo

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So is Calgary all the time too, but what good is it to flirt with just being a playoff contender?

At some point you need to cut losses and do a rebuild.

As for your last comment. How many fan bases ever have anything good to say about an ex-GM or ex-coach?
Again, these are teams that have either rebuilt or retooled themselves in less time than Chicago's "scorched earth" approach and a few could still conceivably win it all. Generally teams that blow it all to hell do so because they can't draft worth a damn and have to rely on lottery balls. Sound familiar? You're asking the guy who paid Seth Jones more than 9m per year to handle the extensions of three cornerstone players for the franchise.

As McAsuno already pointed out, Bruins and Wings fans had little nice to say about Chiarelli and Holland. For the most part they were correct. These are the people who would know best how a GM operates. It's not a matter of like or dislike, it's "This is the move he made at this point in time that really didn't help the team."

Reactions: McAsuno

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Again, these are teams that have either rebuilt or retooled themselves in less time than Chicago's "scorched earth" approach and a few could still conceivably win it all. Generally teams that blow it all to hell do so because they can't draft worth a damn and have to rely on lottery balls. Sound familiar? You're asking the guy who paid Seth Jones more than 9m per year to handle the extensions of three cornerstone players for the franchise.

As McAsuno already pointed out, Bruins and Wings fans had little nice to say about Chiarelli and Holland. For the most part they were correct. These are the people who would know best how a GM operates. It's not a matter of like or dislike, it's "This is the move he made at this point in time that really didn't help the team."
Who are the teams that finished their rebuild/retool before Chicago?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Many teams have stayed competitive and contending after winning cups, at least not drop to an NHL bottom feeder. Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa, even LA. He drove them from a cup winning franchise to the Buffalo Sabres. You can say its better than staying mediocre but building a team by tanking and draft picks is such a long term process and crap shoot with picking 18 year olds.Ask Buffalo and Arizona (Utah) how that has worked for them. His moves forced them into this. They lucked out with Bedard but they are many years away from contending, and that’s if most of their draft picks reach high levels.
Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, Boston. Where are those teams going to be five years from now?

Chicago has Connor Bedard.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I find myself confused as well, Jackson is way too smart to believe the team wouldn’t face considerable backlash and how he’s commented on how the front office will run and how decisions will be made, it seems like while maybe there’s some traits he values in Bowman he likely could of found another similar candidate without the baggage. Its why I don’t think Bowman’s past GM track record is all that relevant because Jackson is going to have the final say on player personnel, trades and signings so really it’s his judgement that matters and going off what he’s done so far I’m confident the team will be making good moves.

It’s why the decision to deal with the headache of hiring Bowman is perplexing and I’ve come up with two possible reasons for it. The first is to use the opportunity to spin a negative into a positive, once they quell the initial backlash I wouldn’t be surprised to see them doing more work in this space, rolling out awareness initiatives, maybe work through the community foundation, maybe a 50/50 in support of victims of abuse. Working with stakeholders in this space and taking steps to raise awareness, visibility and be a leader. Spin it as hiring someone else would have been the easy thing to do but Bowman’s hiring gives them an opportunity to confront and bring awareness to a difficult subject. Bowman’s mistake and subsequent work to educate himself and the sharing of his experiences could help others make better decisions in the future if they find themselves in a similar position.

The second reason is using the public hate as motivation. Jackson likely knew the hiring would come with a lot of hate directed towards the team and that can be extremely motivating. That outside noise tends to galvanize an us vs the world mentality and really when people are hating on you there’s no better feeling then throwing success in their faces,it can be a really powerful tool. Thats one of the reasons I love Michael Jordan, the guy would invent slights and situations to use as motivation, what if this is just a version of that on Jackson’s part. Floyd Mayweather is another one of these athletes who loved making people hate him just so he could use that as motivation to win.
I read this in Jerry Stiller's voice

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who are the teams that finished their rebuild/retool before Chicago?
Like I said, the Kings, Bruins, and to a lesser extent the Pens and Caps are still relatively competitive. The Hawks are right now where we were when they won their first Cup.

Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, Boston. Where are those teams going to be five years from now?

Chicago has Connor Bedard.
As the Oilers have learned the hard way just having a Connor isn't enough to guarantee anything. It took 9 years for McDavid to see his first Cup Final. Here's hoping it's not the only one he sees.

The scorched earth method comes about when management can't supplement the team with trades, signings, and drafting.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We'll find out soon enough if we've been sold down the river. HF gang gang and the regular assortment of media stooges have lined up trying to convince us Bowman's shit smells like roses and tastes like chocolate...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Like I said, the Kings, Bruins, and to a lesser extent the Pens and Caps are still relatively competitive. The Hawks are right now where we were when they won their first Cup.

As the Oilers have learned the hard way just having a Connor isn't enough to guarantee anything. It took 9 years for McDavid to see his first Cup Final. Here's hoping it's not the only one he sees.
Chicago is doing to full rebuild.

Kings started their rebuild way before and it was more of a retool as Doughty and Kopitar are still there. Bruins did a retool as well. It helps that they're a good destination for UFAs otherwise they would be sinking

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
His approach seemed lazy and disinterested to me. He reported to his boss and was told this will be taken care of, so far so good. But in his position, shouldn't he at least ask his boss how the whole thing went down and what the next steps are/were? Making sure some quality management process is integrated, so this shit does not happen again?

That's why I don't trust this guy. 2 years of working with Kennedy? Probably even had contact with the Oilers org before the 2 years were over. He was already thinking about GM'ing again while “redeeming” himself? f***ing clown.

Second chances for people who deserve them. Not for people to turn a blind eye to a problem, then do some redeeming and go back to it as if nothing happened.

As I mentioned, I've seen some shit because of my work and topics like this really get me going. I know that I take a pretty hardcore stance on this.
This is a stupid response. No one micromanages their boss. No one. If his boss said he'd take care of it, then that's a fair expectation that he would. Following up? Sure, that's a valid point, and partly why he got suspended. JJ and Bowman have known each other for 25 years, but JJ was only hired a year ago. Your dumb post is rife with supposition steered by uneducated bias. Grow up and educate yourself on the subject.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Red wing fans were mostly right about Holland? Please remind me how well the Oilers were doing right before Holland and how well they are doing now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Weird how most of the other teams that won a Cup during the 2010s are still relatively competitive and yet Chicago went into the shitter.

Bowman made a series of bad trades that helped the downward spiral.
Interesting how you conveniently forgot to mention that Chicago was the first of those teams to start winning cups, therefore they were farther along on the trajectory to start wilting. Give Pittsburgh and Tampa a few more years and let's see how they look.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Yep, I've seen several posts from Blackhawk fans on how Bowman f***ed their team's cap. For a team in the Oilers that's pretty much in a cap crunch and had Ken Holland for 5 years (whom red wing fans said the exact same thing) who also couldn't work well with the Oilers cap on an annual basis, I don't think its personally far-fetched to not show some sort of concern of Bowman doing potentially the same damage to this organization. Team needed a Mathieu Darche or Mark Janko type of hire, but Bowman just doesn't spark any optimism for me.
I still hope we can at least win a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad