Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Chicago is doing to full rebuild.

Kings started their rebuild way before and it was more of a retool as Doughty and Kopitar are still there. Bruins did a retool as well. It helps that they're a good destination for UFAs otherwise they would be sinking
And Chicago isn't? Again, ask yourself WHY they're going scorched earth.

Red wing fans were mostly right about Holland? Please remind me how well the Oilers were doing right before Holland and how well they are doing now.
It took Holland years to get this team over the hump that they should've been at if Chiarelli wasn't... well, Chiarelli. Time will tell if the Oilers follow up their deep run with another. But the first few years were nothing but embarrassing playoff losses.

Interesting how you conveniently forgot to mention that Chicago was the first of those teams to start winning cups, therefore they were farther along on the trajectory to start wilting. Give Pittsburgh and Tampa a few more years and let's see how they look.
The Bruins won the Cup in 2011. They're still competitive. The Kings won their first Cup in 2012 and they're back to being a decent team. Again, this is more than just "They're not a Cup contender anymore", this is "30th place in the league".

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I thought it was Hamilton that started the 9M trend
Hamilton is actually better than both nurse and Jones. Oddly enough bowman’s best move is getting Keith to a sweet heart deal and knowing full well Chicago can find a sucker to take the back end of his contract.

By moving that contract they had the room for Seth Jones.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

It took Holland years to get this team over the hump that they should've been at if Chiarelli wasn't... well, Chiarelli. Time will tell if the Oilers follow up their deep run with another. But the first few years were nothing but embarrassing playoff losses.

The Bruins won the Cup in 2011. They're still competitive. The Kings won their first Cup in 2012 and they're back to being a decent team. Again, this is more than just "They're not a Cup contender anymore", this is "30th place in the league".
Why not a full rebuild like the model that got them 3 cups? It's not like LA is winning any cups with that roster and retool

Hamilton is actually better than both nurse and Jones. Oddly enough bowman’s best move is getting Keith to a sweet heart deal and knowing full well Chicago can find a sucker to take the back end of his contract.

By moving that contract they had the room for Seth Jones.
Oddly enough, Hamilton at the time of signing the deal was the worse

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

You didn’t answer the question. I believe it was missed playoffs and 1 playoff run in over a decade before Holland. And 5 playoff appearances, including a Conference finals and a 7 game Stanley Cup final series after Holland was done. Is that correct?

The first few years were embarrassing losses because our best winger was Kassian thanks to PC.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not a full rebuild like the model that got them 3 cups? It's not like LA is winning any cups with that roster and retool
A number of the key players in Chicago's Cup wins were not high draft picks. For instance, from the 2010 Cup team
Duncan Keith - 54th overall
Dave Bolland - 32nd overall
Troy Brouwer - 214th overall
Bustin Byfuglien - 245th overall
Niklas Hjalmarsson - 108th overall
Niemi - Undrafted
Bryan Bickell - 41st overall

If you want the model, there it is. All players drafted by the Blackhawks.

Reactions: McHelpus

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A number of the key players in Chicago's Cup wins were not high draft picks. For instance, from the 2010 Cup team
Duncan Keith - 54th overall
Dave Bolland - 32nd overall
Troy Brouwer - 214th overall
Bustin Byfuglien - 245th overall
Niklas Hjalmarsson - 108th overall
Niemi - Undrafted
Bryan Bickell - 41st overall

If you want the model, there it is. All players drafted by the Blackhawks.
Chicago did a full rebuild. Chicago drafted really well outside of Toews and Kane

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You didn’t answer the question. I believe it was missed playoffs and 1 playoff run in over a decade before Holland. And 5 playoff appearances, including a Conference finals and a 7 game Stanley Cup final series after Holland was done. Is that correct?

The first few years were embarrassing losses because our best winger was Kassian thanks to PC.
Again, playoff appearances should've been the bare minimum after 2017. PC f***ed up big time, no question. But let me ask you this... are you comfortable with our defense and goaltending going forward? Yes, the team is coming off a playoffs where they fell one game short. They could absolutely win it all next year. Time will tell if this year was a one off or the norm.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The effort he put in is a good first step but it all seems so dishonest to me. I mean how long did Bowman work with Kennedy? A bit longer than 2 years? That's enough nowadays for a rape enabler? He should have the greatness to step back and not let his ego tell him: ''I want to work in the NHL again, I want to work with young people.'' But I guess money and social position meant more. 2 years lol, that's like a speedrun back to GM'ing.

Kennedy also profited greatly from Bowman's name so it went both ways Imo.

I hope he won't f*** up again.
What does that even mean?:huh:

Reactions: oilers'72

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Chicago did a full rebuild. Chicago drafted really well outside of Toews and Kane
But they didn't go full scorched earth, seeing as the majority of those picks were prior to Toews and Kane.

Even then that's still beside the point. They were forced into scorched Earth because Bowman f***ed up so badly.

Reactions: thedarkstark

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But they didn't go full scorched earth, seeing as the majority of those picks were prior to Toews and Kane.

Even then that's still beside the point. They were forced into scorched Earth because Bowman f***ed up so badly.
Chicago, LA, Washington, Pitts and the Oilers all went on a full rebuild. They didn't go thru a decade of darkness like we did because they can actually draft and develop and insulate their rookies with good vets. The Oilers were the copy cats and still couldn't get it right

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Again, playoff appearances should've been the bare minimum after 2017. PC f***ed up big time, no question. But let me ask you this... are you comfortable with our defense and goaltending going forward? Yes, the team is coming off a playoffs where they fell one game short. They could absolutely win it all next year. Time will tell if this year was a one off or the norm.

My personal guess is whatever Bowman does in regards to moves/trades will involve JJ to have the final approval of stamping it or not.
Still would've much preferred Mark Janko or Mathieu Darche. Would've been the slam dunk type of move after all of what JJ did for the last couple of weeks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why are you of all people questioning our goaltending?:huh:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why are you of all people questioning our goaltending?:huh:
I'm not. I'm asking if they feel comfortable with it. I assume their opinion on the goaltending is different from mine.

My personal guess is whatever Bowman does in regards to moves/trades will involve JJ to have the final approval of stamping it or not.
Still would've much preferred Mark Janko or Mathieu Darche. Would've been the slam dunk type of move after all of what JJ did for the last couple of weeks.
Given the way the UFA period went I would've preferred no hire at all.

Reactions: McAsuno

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To sum up my thoughts. I agree with most that even if you take the SA stuff out of the picture, Bowman’s track record speaks for itself (and not in a good way).

The optimistic few of the group that think maybe we can hope he really proves us wrong. Wouldn’t it be nice to hire a candidate for once that doesn’t have to prove us wrong to succeed? Instead, we eagerly anticipate all of their moves ala Jackson this offseason because they are smart GMs with a good track record? Why can’t we hire a good GM???

The very slight optimistic side of me (it dwells in some nether region of my brain) is that Bowman had a similar situation in Chicago with two star players and mucked up extending their window. Maybe he learned and has a strategy for avoiding that this time!?

We’ve heard him admit his mistakes with the Kyle Beach situation but I’d love to actually hear him admit his mistakes about GMing. Most of these guys are too proud for that. Bowman strikes me as the same. :(
Who are all the good GM's we could have hired?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Chicago won 3 cups. The Kings 2. The Bruins 1.

Chicago wins the contest.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad