Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The usual source, Rick Dhaliwal......but he's not infallible.

But training camps are a little over a week away. If Lankinen was offered a contract by the Canucks, it's hard to believe he'd have turned it down.

I'm guessing you're interpreting him as saying as they've offered him a PTO while I hear it as they've offered him an NHL contract.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm guessing you're interpreting him as saying as they've offered him a PTO while I hear it as they've offered him an NHL contract.

I think the confusion might be coming from, when Rick (and others) list goalie possibilities they mean sign Lankinen, PTO Jones, Raanta, etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the confusion might be coming from, when Rick (and others) list goalie possibilities they mean sign Lankinen, PTO Jones, Raanta, etc.

iMac has the same problem in his article. Listening and reading again, it's unclear whether they mean Laniken was offered a PTO or was offered a contract. The speculation was that he's looking for about 2m so I don't think they'd offer him a PTO but a Sprong-style contract.

Also if Rick is the one reporting it, it's probably the agent trying to send signals to the rest of the league saying, hey if you are interested, better get in now.

And definitely this.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
iMac has the same problem in his article. Listening and reading again, it's unclear whether they mean Laniken was offered a PTO or was offered a contract. The speculation was that he's looking for about 2m so I don't think they'd offer him a PTO but a Sprong-style contract.
This. They’ve most likely offered him a 1 year deal at, or around Silovs’ salary.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think it's pretty clear they're reporting Lankinen was offered an actual contract. The PTO rumours I heard were in relation to Raanta.

Patrick Johnston seems to think they did offer Lankinen a PTO but none of the reporting has been definitive.

But they have also put out feelers to free agent goalies Kevin Lankinen and Antti Raanta. Ideally, the Canucks would bring one in on a professional tryout (PTO), which doesn’t bind the team to the player but would provide the Canucks cover in goal during the pre-season.

Lankinen, it’s clear, would prefer a full-on contract offer.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Patrick Johnston seems to think they did offer Lankinen a PTO but none of the reporting has been definitive.

But they have also put out feelers to free agent goalies Kevin Lankinen and Antti Raanta. Ideally, the Canucks would bring one in on a professional tryout (PTO), which doesn’t bind the team to the player but would provide the Canucks cover in goal during the pre-season.

That still isn't clear if that's a report on what the Canucks are doing or just a synopsis of the best case scenario for the team.

Sounds more like the latter really.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It seems unlikely they could get Lankinen on a PTO given he's a legit NHL backup, but who knows. Raanta is another matter entirely, he's looked pretty done recently. Don't see them offering anything except maybe a PTO as a last-ditch effort.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
whats the asking price on cam fowler if the ducks intend to put him on the block. could be a fit on that 2nd pairing left side. another puck mover

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
whats the asking price on cam fowler if the ducks intend to put him on the block. could be a fit on that 2nd pairing left side. another puck mover

Isn't he a LD? We're kind of okay there. Not that I wouldn't mind shifting Soucy down to the third pair. Problem is there's no way we can afford 6.5M for Fowler.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Isn't he a LD? We're kind of okay there. Not that I wouldn't mind shifting Soucy down to the third pair. Problem is there's no way we can afford 6.5M for Fowler.
yes hes a LD. arent the canucks looking for one on the 2nd pair? the point is to have two puckmovers on each pair. example: hughes hronek, fowler/myers soucy deharnais. or hronek can be on his own pair.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Canucks are weaker on the left side than the right at the moment. Would rather have Forbort as injury insurance rather than a regular. Ideally, you can get a legit 2nd pairing guy and pair them with Desharnais then treat the non-Hughes/Hronek defencemen as two 2nd pairs.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Defense is just fine, issues overblown by some fans on the internet.
Organization is not looking for another puck mover or top4D unless they get lucky on waivers.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Defense is just fine, issues overblown by some fans on the internet.
Organization is not looking for another puck mover or top4D unless they get lucky on waivers.
It’s fine for now*

And we would most certainly be looking to add sometime down the road. And getting a top 4 D on waivers is like impossible.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Not now, no. They will upgrade during the season, though.

If they need it I suppose… I would say the hope is internal progression filling any holes. That could be steps forward for any of Soucy, Desharnais, etc or prospects stepping up.

I think the likely hope is someone like EP 2.0 looks like a player, and Desharnais performs as a legit top 4 defenseman.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Desharnais
Pettersson-Myers
Forbort

That looks a lot stronger assuming those players project as forecasted.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Not now, no. They will upgrade during the season, though.
It’s fine for now*

And we would most certainly be looking to add sometime down the road.
Yeahh at the tdl, like every other team ..

There's an underlying sentiment the defense is incomplete or lacking this or that, which is false. Forbort a seventh dman, soucy third pair, puck mover on every pairing, Desharnais isn't it, jshultz pto, crying about Myers and his contract still, etc etc. Plenty of posts on this in multiple threads, including this one, on this very page.

It's all fan fiction, the defense is set and solid, we added huge, capable players, ideal for playoffs that fit this team and system, and also excellent PKers.
The team is very good and not looking for anything anytime soon, barring something unforseen happens in camp/ preseason.

Reactions: andora

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yeahh at the tdl, like every other team ..

There's an underlying sentiment the defense is incomplete or lacking this or that, which is false. Forbort a seventh dman, soucy third pair, puck mover on every pairing, Desharnais isn't it, jshultz pto, crying about Myers and his contract still, etc etc. Plenty of posts on this in multiple threads, including this one, on this very page.

It's all fan fiction, the defense is set and solid, we added huge, capable players, ideal for playoffs that fit this team and system, and also excellent PKers.
The team is very good and not looking for anything anytime soon, barring something unforseen happens in camp/ preseason.
I would say that on the balance of probabilities some of the fears about the defence will turn out to be true. There are 2 clear top 4 defencemen and maybe 1-2 that could play to that level, and a lot of guys who are low-event but also have significant weaknesses. The depth is there. Overall this is a defence that won't tilt the ice one way or another except for Hughes and occasionally Myers.

Also, "defenceman" and "defensemen" can't both be misspellings and I won't be silent about it anymore

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad