Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yes, I do actually feel the same about all of them. If they get another job in the NHL you will see me in these threads again and I will state the same opinion. People have to understand, victims of SA are living under immense pressure, feeling shame and guilt even if they didn't do anything. If you're somewhat in the spotlight you're even more pressured and probably ask yourself "what should i do" "where can i go" "who will believe me" "who will help me".

Iirc the others (MacIsaac, Q) didn't get an endorsement like Bowman so there's at least a positive thing. But thinking that endorsement changes anything that happened is, in my opinion, just delusional.

All the people you mentioned are the lowest of low, human scum who looked away while a kid was molested and exploited. They should never be able to work in the NHL again, same goes for Bowman. Good thing he worked with Respect Group but as I said multiple times, that's the bare minimum he should have done.
What about Beach? He also stayed silent for almost a decade before bringing a lawsuit. I’m absolutely not blaming him, I’m just pointing out that it could be relevant to his frame of mind at the time. Im curious, in your opinion do you think that it’s possible or even likely that a victim in Beach’s position wouldn’t want this to become public? What if Beach said he didn’t want this in the public and just wanted Aldrich quietly gone? What should be done then if the victim doesn’t wish to pursue criminal charges and doesn’t want the story in the public? Should they fire Aldrich and out him so that he doesn’t have the opportunity to abuse others even if the victim doesn’t want the situation public?

My view of the situation is that most involved were ill equipped to deal with an issue like this and were more then willing to pass the buck to the big boss on an uncomfortable situation. I’m sure at the time everyone involved, maybe even including the victim just wanted this situation to go away quietly. While everyone involved shares some portion of culpability for having knowledge and not following up but at the end of the day the buck stops with McDonough and to an extent HR, who likely swept it under the rug at the direction of McDonough.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Most likely he didn't know all. That is not the problem. You don't inquire about every small problem but that was a huge thing and he didn't feel the need to inquire?

Again, people make mistakes. With the benefit of hindsight and a view from 10,000 feet you're absolutely right. I'm sure he would probably agree with you himself.

I've never made a mistake on a matter like this, but there have been plenty of times in my career where something bad has happened and I thought "f*** I'm an idiot for not checking back on that." Didn't mean I didn't care. Didn't mean I was naive about the nature of the problem or the risks. Just meant I f***ed something up because I made a mistake.

If Stan Bowman was the singular perfect human being on the planet that is incapable of error, then sure, ban him forever. He's human, and he f***ed up and there is no doubt he knows it.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Has nothing to do with being a rookie GM but with being (or in this case not being) a decent human.
- if you read the Jenner and Block report, Bowman had only heard "allegations"
- he relayed those "allegations" to his boss, President John McDonaugh
- his boss said "I'll take care of it"
- Bowman went back to concentrating on his team's playoff run
- Aldrich (the perpetrator) was gone from the team 2 months later

he did the right thing by going to his boss....his mistake was not following up on it
that's it

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Again, people make mistakes. With the benefit of hindsight and a view from 10,000 feet you're absolutely right. I'm sure he would probably agree with you himself.

I've never made a mistake on a matter like this, but there have been plenty of times in my career where something bad has happened and I thought "f*** I'm an idiot for not checking back on that." Didn't mean I didn't care. Didn't mean I was naive about the nature of the problem or the risks. Just meant I f***ed something up because I made a mistake.

If Stan Bowman was the singular perfect human being on the planet that is incapable of error, then sure, ban him forever. He's human, and he f***ed up and there is no doubt he knows it.
If people can go back in time and correct their mistakes or taken better action of it, they would. That's what good human beings would do. The ones who won't are psychopaths

Reactions: oilers'72

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Will be my last answer for today. Really need to cool down lol. Sorry y'all if I came along as an ass. Thx for the talk.

What about Beach? He also stayed silent for almost a decade before bringing a lawsuit. I’m absolutely not blaming him, I’m just pointing out that it could be relevant to his frame of mind at the time. Im curious, in your opinion do you think that it’s possible or even likely that a victim in Beach’s position wouldn’t want this to become public? What if Beach said he didn’t want this in the public and just wanted Aldrich quietly gone? What should be done then if the victim doesn’t wish to pursue criminal charges and doesn’t want the story in the public? Should they fire Aldrich and out him so that he doesn’t have the opportunity to abuse others even if the victim doesn’t want the situation public?

My view of the situation is that most involved were ill equipped to deal with an issue like this and were more then willing to pass the buck to the big boss on an uncomfortable situation. I’m sure at the time everyone involved, maybe even including the victim just wanted this situation to go away quietly. While everyone involved shares some portion of culpability for having knowledge and not following up but at the end of the day the buck stops with McDonough and to an extent HR, who likely swept it under the rug at the direction of McDonough.
It is likely that the victims stay silent for a long time or even their whole life because of self-guilt (example: did i give him any signs that i wanted it?) and/or shame. Could very well be that Beach was heard by HR and that he said he doesn't want that whole shit to go public (who wants that anyway?). In such cases it's important to support and empower this person. Show that person that you care and that you will stay behind him when he goes public. But if the org values the cup run more, it says a lot what's more important. Beach maybe knew that, maybe not. I don't have this info.

It really depends on what the mistake is like you said. Some things are worse than others and everybody draws his own line. Mine is, well...you know now what my line is ;)

Problem is, I don't think Bowman cared enough in this matter.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's really unfortunate that a lot of people simply aren't willing to stop, take a breath, and actually understand the facts before going off the deep end. Maybe the worst of it, as has been demonstrated here by a few people, that even if they learn things that they didn't know before, they dismiss them because they so fully entrenched their position that they would look silly to back track.

100%.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

he did the right thing by going to his boss....his mistake was not following up on it
that's it

Exactly. There is so many people who are painting him like HE'S the one who sexually assaulted a prospect. But he never did that. Just that he trusted someone would take care of it and assumed it was done with, which is the only mistake he made. It's not a prison sentence or banned for life kind of sentence. A learning sentence, sure, but that's about it and he did his time. So people need to move on from this, and now start critiquing his GM skills instead.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hate the hire. Fractured the fan base instantly, creates a negative environment for every city our players go into next year dealing with the media and so on and so on.

But you just have to laugh at hiring the GM who signed the Seth Jones contract which led to the Nurse contract. 🤡

After sleeping on it and seeing the visceral reactions I am more and more scratching my head at why Jackson went down this road. He must really feel Bowman is worth the trouble or underestimated the blowback.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Hate the hire. Fractured the fan base instantly, creates a negative environment for every city our players go into next year dealing with the media and so on and so on.

But you just have to laugh at hiring the GM who signed the Seth Jones contract which led to the Nurse contract. 🤡

This bothers me a lot. In an off-season where we were a few good plays away from winning the stanley cup, we should all be ecstatic. I feel like a punctured baloon that has farted its way into nothingness at the moment.

This issue will have its 'Karens', it will have its cognitive dissonance 'resolutions'. There are meritable points on both sides. But the opinions on either side will be 10/10 strong, and that sucks considering where this team is at the moment.

Reactions: onetweasy and K1984

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007

that's it
That's kind of what I got as well, but I still don't think this is the right hire. Obvious PR disaster for a mid-level GM at best.

And the question is how will the 2010 incident affect is ability to do his job i.e. how others will see him and how they feel about doing business with him

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
After a day to stew on it i still hate the decision. But i think what annoys me the most. Is right from the get go of bowman possibly being Reinstated there was smoke towards him and edmonton. So again it doesn't seem like they're was a proper process ans due diligence done on the hire. Almost seems he was going to be the guy from day 1 as I'm sure the oilers and bowman new he was going to be allowed back in the league long before it went public.....

So another year another opportunity missed. Same shit different pile..... rinse and repeat... the life of an oilers fan

Reactions: BudBundy

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Will be my last answer for today. Really need to cool down lol. Sorry y'all if I came along as an ass. Thx for the talk.

It is likely that the victims stay silent for a long time or even their whole life because of self-guilt (example: did i give him any signs that i wanted it?) and/or shame. Could very well be that Beach was heard by HR and that he said he doesn't want that whole shit to go public (who wants that anyway?). In such cases it's important to support and empower this person. Show that person that you care and that you will stay behind him when he goes public. But if the org values the cup run more, it says a lot what's more important. Beach maybe knew that, maybe not. I don't have this info.

It really depends on what the mistake is like you said. Some things are worse than others and everybody draws his own line. Mine is, well...you know now what my line is ;)

Problem is, I don't think Bowman cared enough in this matter.

It’s ok to have strong feelings on the matter. It’s a serious and complex subject and when one is close to victims it is white hot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After a day to stew on it i still hate the decision. But i think what annoys me the most. Is right from the get go of bowman possibly being Reinstated there was smoke towards him and edmonton. So again it doesn't seem like they're was a proper process ans due diligence done on the hire. Almost seems he was going to be the guy from day 1 as I'm sure the oilers and bowman new he was going to be allowed back in the league long before it went public.....

So another year another opportunity missed. Same shit different pile..... rinse and repeat... the life of an oilers fan
Jackson has been looking at filling that hole all year. He knew Holland wasn't coming back pretty much all year

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

that's it

Makes me wonder how many here have worked in a corp environment where theres a chain of command and processes for shit like this.

I know in my company, it goes to manager and HR...then they'll only ask for more on a need to know basis. Everything is off the reporters hand [unless reporter is also victim]

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In other words, he didn't give a f*** anymore and turned a blind eye to it. That's a huge failure and not just "that's it". That's what I criticize the most about his behavior.

Edit: I don't think I'm entrenched. I know my position of zero tolerance and I think it's the right way to question why he didn't follow up.

Literally he didn't turn a blind eye though. He reported it to his superiors and HR, who have the tools, time, resources, and the training to deal with the situation.

The guy was fired.

He assumed it was handled.

I don't really understand the assertion that he actively was aiding, abetting, or hiding the conduct of Aldrich or something like that. That just blatantly doesn't match the findings of the report.

Could he have been more involved? Sure. Could he have been more active in pursuing justice? Sure. Could he have been more active in supporting Beach? Absolutely. He said as much himself.

But it's not like he was involved in some massive cover up. You make it sound like he went out of his way to do bad things or avoid doing the right things, but I don't think that's reality. He did his job, and met his legal obligations - the moral obligations are a little bit more messy and I think impossible to draw hard conclusions on regardless.

Frankly I think it's possible that at the time Beach would not have wanted any further reporting and not reporting Aldrich to police would align with modern wisdom of supporting people's recovery in the way they wish to be supported - indeed Beach was at the time trying to just return to normal life and make the NHL, I think it's quite possible he didn't want to make any more if the situation at the time and it would have been morally ambiguous at best to report it.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Literally he didn't turn a blind eye though. He reported it to his superiors and HR, who have the tools, time, resources, and the training to deal with the situation.

The guy was fired.

He assumed it was handled.

I don't really understand the assertion that he actively was aiding, abetting, or hiding the conduct of Aldrich or something like that. That just blatantly doesn't match the findings of the report.

Could he have been more involved? Sure. Could he have been more active in pursuing justice? Sure. Could he have been more active in supporting Beach? Absolutely. He said as much himself.

But it's not like he was involved in some massive cover up. You make it sound like he went out of his way to do bad things or avoid doing the right things, but I don't think that's reality. He did his job, and met his legal obligations - the moral obligations are a little bit more messy and I think impossible to draw hard conclusions on regardless.

Frankly I think it's possible that at the time Beach would not have wanted any further reporting and not reporting Aldrich to police would align with modern wisdom of supporting people's recovery in the way they wish to be supported - indeed Beach was at the time trying to just return to normal life and make the NHL, I think it's quite possible he didn't want to make any more if the situation at the time and it would have been morally ambiguous at best to report it.

Yes, I’d add that (from my understanding), Bowman did not do what Quenneville did with writing a recommendation letter when Aldrich applied to the positions afterwards (high school??). That’s insane

Reactions: oilers'72

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
After sleeping on it and seeing the visceral reactions I am more and more scratching my head at why Jackson went down this road. He must really feel Bowman is worth the trouble or underestimated the blowback.
It would have made an awful lot more sense for a team - not us - to have gone through this whole process for Joel Quenneville. Shitty human or not, he's proven time and again he's an elite coach.

Bowman was a nepo baby hire that had more bad moves than good, signed some brutal contracts, lost an awful lot of trades, his drafts are mediocre at best. Why go through all this just to bring him into the fold?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

This is exactly what happened when Ken Holland shook loose out of Detroit and Bob Nicholson positively wet his pants falling all over himself to hire him. We've learned absolutely nothing as an organization.

Reactions: McAsuno

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, I’d add that (from my understanding), Bowman did not do what Quenneville did with writing a recommendation letter when Aldrich applied to the positions afterwards (high school??). That’s insane

According to the Jenner report, Aldrich did not recieve any recommendation via letter or otherwise from the Hawks and got the positions afterwards at the highschool independently of the Hawks entirely, utilizing his own personal connections through his uncle. None of his post Hawks jobs or resumes even have any record of him having worked for the Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad