Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can’t argue with JJs body of work this summer, trades and signings. But JJ doesn’t disappear with this hire.
No, they just add a shit chef to help with the soup that wasn't necessary.

ok but he deserves a 2nd chance, just like MacT (btw, he's a mediocre re-tread at best)
Just because you can give a second chance to someone doesn't mean you have to.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jackson already finished the deal with Drai and just letting Bowman announce it at 8 years x 10.5M. The Toews and Kane special

• Haha
Reactions: Stoneman89

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Can we make a list of posters who are definitely done with the team after this?

Should make for a delightful season on the forum.

Exactly... its fine to be upset, but get it all out today.

After that, vote with your feet please and saunter over to another forum, never to be heard from again. We don't need to rehash this very [pick one] curious/dubious/immoral/franchise sinking move daily from here to eternity.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
and people in Edmonton forgave the guy and he lives a normal life
How old are you? Just asking, because it doesn't seem like you know what the 80s were like.

First, the only places to get the news was the newspaper, the evening news, ITV's Sports Night, and 630 CHED. So if nobody in those outlets was talking about MacTavish's transgressions when we brought him in, most fans wouldn't have known. Now, if they did mention it, it was probably just a line at the end of the article, to try to hide it. Nobody was trying to throw the Oilers under the bus at that time.

Also, DUI's weren't seen as nearly as big of a deal as they are now. Drinking and driving was a lot more common, and a DUI was just as likely to be considered bad luck as a stupid decision, like it is now. This was before a lot of the MADD anti-drinking and driving campaigns, and the police weren't as big on the education side of why its bad to drink and drive until the 80s. Does that make what MacTavish did okay? No. But it explains in part why Oiler fans weren't as upset over that as they are over this.

You are applying today's standard of morality to something that happened 40 years ago, and that is a complete failure in logic.

Reactions: oilers'72

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That woman's family doesn't, and neither do Aldrich's victims. MacT has also been working on himself for nearly 40 years since it happened. Bowman's got several decades of soul searching and self improvement to do.
MacT literally signed his Oilers contract while in prison. I'm not sure he's a great example of someone that spent lots of time paying their dues.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No, they just add a shit chef to help with the soup that wasn't necessary.

Just because you can give a second chance to someone doesn't mean you have to.
JJ thinks it’s necessary. Considering his body of work and judgement thus far, maybe we give him the benefit of doubt.

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
C'mon now. There's a big difference between someone knowing about a rape and the people actually committing one. Hate on this as much as you want, but the two aren't comparable at all.
Bowman knew enough that it cost him his job. If he was innocent he wouldn't have been fired.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Stupid move for sure for a mediocre GM at best. Which I expressed emphatically before he was hired.

Just have the ability to separate my view of him as a bad GM and a hire that was stupid and unnecessary from outwardly dismissing anything he has done to atone/learn from the mistakes made in the past in order to fuel additional rage.

Bowman is what he is - a mediocre GM that was hired for as it stands today, mystifying reasons. However, I think it is ridiculous to dismiss the work he's done with Sheldon Kennedy, dismiss Kennedy's emphatic support of him, dismiss the toll he paid for his wrongdoings ("he didn't get fired he quit!!!" :facepalm:), and dismiss Beach's reported support he has for Bowman's return to the NHL for no reason other than you want to be upset about it.
The toll he paid :laugh: guy probably didn't even miss a paycheck, since the rich don't even *resign* like the rest of us do.

Bowman did what Bowman had to do to get reinstated. I hope he's genuinely contrite, but that will be proven in the years to come, not in the years behind. Spending his free time hanging out with Sheldon Kennedy may be enough for Sheldon Kennedy, but people don't change that quickly. Ask me in 20 years what I think. For now, being upset is a reasonable reaction, and if you're not upset, I would think you haven't bothered to think about this too deeply.

Look no further than Jackson and Bowman's reactions to the question about the second victim. They genuinely hadn't even considered it and Jackson was irritated that it was even asked after.

Reactions: PBandJ

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How old are you? Just asking, because it doesn't seem like you know what the 80s were like.

First, the only places to get the news was the newspaper, the evening news, ITV's Sports Night, and 630 CHED. So if nobody in those outlets was talking about MacTavish's transgressions when we brought him in, most fans wouldn't have known. Now, if they did mention it, it was probably just a line at the end of the article, to try to hide it. Nobody was trying to throw the Oilers under the bus at that time.

Also, DUI's weren't seen as nearly as big of a deal as they are now. Drinking and driving was a lot more common, and a DUI was just as likely to be considered bad luck as a stupid decision, like it is now. This was before a lot of the MADD anti-drinking and driving campaigns, and the police weren't as big on the education side of why its bad to drink and drive until the 80s. Does that make what MacTavish did okay? No. But it explains in part why Oiler fans weren't as upset over that as they are over this.

You are applying today's standard of morality to something that happened 40 years ago, and that is a complete failure in logic.
and 15 years ago, rape allegations weren't taken as seriously as they are now

hazing was still a HUGE deal in the hockey world

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wrong. Timeline doesn't matter. Both individuals screwed up, and were punished by the league (one was criminal, so he went to jail). Both have tried to make amends, and one has unwaveringly proven to have accepted his issue and completely turned his life around. The other one appears to be getting started on that path according to victims and others of the incident.
Timelines absolutely matter. First, you are applying today's morality to something that happened decades ago. Also, as you alluded to, 40 years is a lot longer timeline for fans to see that someone has worked to change, and forgive the guy. 3 years isn't much of anything in that regard, this is still recent, and Bowman still has work to do to win over the fans and prove that the work he has been putting in has made a difference.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This thread is just one example of why this is a terrible hire. JJ had this entire market in the palm of his hands with a flurry of great moves that had this team set up well in the short and now long term possibly and now he essentially created chaos in the market and a whole whack of questions/confusion.
He could have hired just about anybody else and people would have been largely on board.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
MacT literally signed his Oilers contract while in prison. I'm not sure he's a great example of someone that spent lots of time paying their dues.
the "in prison" part carries weight.

But no, you're right, I don't think he paid enough of a price either. In fact, put him back in jail if that makes you happy. Does that satisfy the BUH WUHDA BOUT MACT crowd? They're vastly different situations and it's idiotic they kept being brought up.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
My point is, that nobody cares about what MacT did because it was 40 years ago. 40 years is a lot more time to have to forgive someone than 3 years. With MacT, we're talking about something that happened before a good portion of the members of this board were even born.

MacT was also not management when he made his mistake. He was a depth player in his 20s, in a decade when the party lifestyle was the norm. Not the #2 guy in a multi-million dollar company who is supposed to be a leader to his entire organization.

Time doesn't make what MacT did less tragic - he killed someone after all - but at least he served some time for his crime. He actually went to jail. Bowman got to step away from a job for a couple of years and come back to one of the best GM jobs in the league.

Not sure I get the direct comparison to MacT. Craig's with Aldridge, the ones who committed the crimes.
Bowman's role would be closer to Sather or Sinden (then Bruins GM).

Though it's different situations. Those two ignored/looked past a player being an absolute dumb ass, drunk driving and killing someone, and actively worked to get him back to the NHL, vs. Bowman, who was satisfied with the Hawks taking the coward's way out by ignoring the problem, and just pushing a guy who had sexually assaulted several members of the team and staff out the door, vs. pursuing charges.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The toll he paid :laugh: guy probably didn't even miss a paycheck, since the rich don't even *resign* like the rest of us do.

Bowman did what Bowman had to do to get reinstated. I hope he's genuinely contrite, but that will be proven in the years to come, not in the years behind. Spending his free time hanging out with Sheldon Kennedy may be enough for Sheldon Kennedy, but people don't change that quickly. Ask me in 20 years what I think. For now, being upset is a reasonable reaction, and if you're not upset, I would think you haven't bothered to think about this too deeply.

Look no further than Jackson and Bowman's reactions to the question about the second victim. They genuinely hadn't even considered it and Jackson was irritated that it was even asked after.
and who are you to judge the amount of "toll" should be paid...shouldn't that be up to the people involved?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This thread is just one example of why this is a terrible hire. JJ had this entire market in the palm of his hands with a flurry of great moves that had this team set up well in the short and now long term possibly and now he essentially created chaos in the market and a whole whack of questions/confusion.
He could have hired just about anybody else and people would have been largely on board.
Alternatively he could've just not hired anyone at all and we'd all be happy as a clam.

Reactions: ujju2

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
and 15 years ago, rape allegations weren't taken as seriously as they are now

hazing was still a HUGE deal in the hockey world
You're making my point for me. What is acceptable in society changes as time goes on. When you include MacT's situation, you are using today's standard of morality and applying it to a situation from another time. It's a flaw in logic.

dem

Mar 17, 2002

You realize having this market "in the palm of his hands" means absolutely nothing to this hockey team, right? This forum is not reality.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad