Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Yes, that's where I am at. Just because you made some amends or had some success (in MacT's case) doesn't mean you deserve another chance. The work Bowman did with Kennedy is the absolute least minimum thing he should have done. As another user said: some things are just bigger than sports.

I'm referring to Craig McTavish. Based on hindsight and the way he turned out, do you think he should never have been forgiven and allowed any more chances?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People realize that victims themselves have varied ways of moving on from these situations right? Some like to hold a grudge and will never forgive and forget, and would of course be justified to have that response. But some just want their voices heard and to see positive change come from their situation. And psychologically and spiritually, most times forgiveness is the best recipe for moving on. It sounds like Beach in his conversation with Stan and his request for Stan to come and work with and help Beach’s current team, that he has forgiven Stan. If Beach can forgive Stan, who are we to say that he shouldn’t be forgiven?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't like the hire at all.

"Rape enabler" are your words, not mine. Despite that, we'll see you actively posting throughout the summer and the season I'm sure.

Is continuing to cheer for and follow the team "enabling" the rape enabler? Some would say yes....
You don't? Could have fooled me. Or is policing the board just a good time for you, Hall Monitor?

Sexual assault is the legal term, and therefore the term I used.

I will be here when I want to be. Calling out this move for the trash it is. Silence, and inaction, as Bowman emphatically proved, can have devastating consequences. If that's a problem with you, I don't give a shit.

Reactions: Shizuka and PBandJ

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
MacTavish actually served jail time for what he did. Bettman worked "close to full time" community service hours.
And so he should have. He KILLED a person. Not sure what Bettman and community service hours has to do with this. To my knowledge, Bowman never killed anyone, nor did he rape anyone. His crime was listening to his boss, when his boss told him to back off and he would look after the situation. Should he have gotten directly involved regardless, taken the situation much more seriously and not listened to McDonough? In hindsight, absolutely. This has been an absolute tragedy and of course, I feel for the victim(s) as everyone else does.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
oh come on, you know he would've been fired either way

yes, he made a mistake not following up on the allegations...but let's not pretend this is anything close to what MacT did
But he ran away to his mansion to do part time volunteer work for a couple years before he could be fired. A face-saving move offered to him, no doubt in part because of his last name.

MacT drove drunk and killed a woman. Bad. He went to jail for it. Deservedly.

Reactions: Shizuka

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People realize that victims themselves have varied ways of moving on from these situations right? Some like to hold a grudge and will never forgive and forget, and would of course be justified to have that response. But some just want their voices heard and to see positive change come from their situation. And psychologically and spiritually, most times forgiveness is the best recipe for moving on. It sounds like Beach in his conversation with Stan and his request for Stan to come and work with and help Beach’s current team, that he has forgiven Stan. If Beach can forgive Stan, who are we to say that he shouldn’t be forgiven?
None of that makes Bowman a good GM. He could be Jesus reborn and he'd still suck.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
oh come on, you know he would've been fired either way

yes, he made a mistake not following up on the allegations...but let's not pretend this is anything close to what MacT did
They aren't close, in any realm. One was generations ago. There are no correlations at all between the two events, so why do people keep bringing up MacTavish?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's kind of funny going through Bowman's trades. Lots of former Oiler greats in there.

Cam Barker, Ben Eager, Aaron Johnson, Marty Reasoner, Ryan Potulny, Rob Klinkhammer, Adam Clendening, Tomas Jurco, Sam Carrick, Anton Forsberg, Jordan Oesterle, Brendan Perlini, Slater Koekkoek, Dominik Kahun...

• Wow
Reactions: TheNumber4

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And so he should have. He KILLED a person. Not sure what Bettman and community service hours has to do with this. To my knowledge, Bowman never killed anyone, nor did he rape anyone. His crime was listening to his boss, when his boss told him to back off and he would look after the situation. Should he have gotten directly involved regardless, taken the situation much more seriously and not listened to McDonough? In hindsight, absolutely. This has been an absolute tragedy and of course, I feel for the victim(s) as everyone else does.
and then did nothing about it every day for a decade after it was brought to his attention, and immediately resigned when it came up again and hid away and did what was required for reinstatement.

Considering I was a fetus when the MacTavish incident happened, I can't speak to my thoughts regarding it at the time, but I have to think I would have been none too pleased with his reinstatement either.

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
None of that makes Bowman a good GM. He could be Jesus reborn and he'd still suck.
Obviously my post wasn’t about the hockey aspect of this. I haven’t taken a deep look into his GM work in Chicago. Sounds like a mixed bag on the surface (like most GMs). But I think that our management GROUP combined with Stan’s experience and connections can create good GMing for us. Time will tell though.

Reactions: oilers'72

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Stan seemed like he has learned a lot, etc. He has Beech's support.

That is fine. I do know how people above him also did not report it when told by Stan.

I just do not know why the Oilers want this smoke? WHY? I know Jeff is buddies with Stan. Just helping a buddy out I guess.

Stan is like a Chia/Holland hybid.

6 straight years after winning 3 cups, they did not win a series. He made bad moves. He signed the big guys when they were already there.

I just don't get it. I felt so confident with Jeff and the moves/signings he made

I now have about 1/10 confidence in moves/signings going forward.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Obviously my post wasn’t about the hockey aspect of this. I haven’t taken a deep look into his GM work in Chicago. Sounds like a mixed bag on the surface (like most GMs). But I think that our management GROUP combined with Stan’s experience and connections can create good GMing for us. Time will tell though.
Let's put it this way. They were better off with no GM.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They aren't close, in any realm. One was generations ago. There are no correlations at all between the two events, so why do people keep bringing up MacTavish?
Wrong. Timeline doesn't matter. Both individuals screwed up, and were punished by the league (one was criminal, so he went to jail). Both have tried to make amends, and one has unwaveringly proven to have accepted his issue and completely turned his life around. The other one appears to be getting started on that path according to victims and others of the incident.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You don't? Could have fooled me. Or is policing the board just a good time for you, Hall Monitor?

Sexual assault is the legal term, and therefore the term I used.

I will be here when I want to be. Calling out this move for the trash it is. Silence, and inaction, as Bowman emphatically proved, can have devastating consequences. If that's a problem with you, I don't give a shit.

Stupid move for sure for a mediocre GM at best. Which I expressed emphatically before he was hired.

Just have the ability to separate my view of him as a bad GM and a hire that was stupid and unnecessary from outwardly dismissing anything he has done to atone/learn from the mistakes made in the past in order to fuel additional rage.

Bowman is what he is - a mediocre GM that was hired for as it stands today, mystifying reasons. However, I think it is ridiculous to dismiss the work he's done with Sheldon Kennedy, dismiss Kennedy's emphatic support of him, dismiss the toll he paid for his wrongdoings ("he didn't get fired he quit!!!" :facepalm:), and dismiss Beach's reported support he has for Bowman's return to the NHL for no reason other than you want to be upset about it.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
and then did nothing about it every day for a decade after it was brought to his attention, and immediately resigned when it came up again and hid away and did what was required for reinstatement.

Considering I was a fetus when the MacTavish incident happened, I can't speak to my thoughts regarding it at the time, but I have to think I would have been none too pleased with his reinstatement either.

I don't really think that's a fair characterization of the situation.

He got news of the assault across his desk. He immediately reported it to his boss and HR. His boss and HR said they were dealing with it. Then the guy was fired, so he assumed it was dealt with and Bowman moved on with his life.

Atleast that's what the third party independent report from a legal team describes.

Frankly I bet most people would react the same way if one of their employees came to them with an allegation of sexual assault - to be honest, I probably would. You know who wouldn't? Bowman; there's certain mistakes you only make once.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Doesn't live a normal live, not doesn't forgive him.

ok but he deserves a 2nd chance, just like MacT (btw, he's a mediocre re-tread at best)
he can drop off resumes at Home Depot or run a 2nd tier Swiss league team for all I care. Walzting back into one of the choice jobs in the sport like nothing happened is sickening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad