Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
But he ran away to his mansion to do part time volunteer work for a couple years before he could be fired. A face-saving move offered to him, no doubt in part because of his last name.

MacT drove drunk and killed a woman. Bad. He went to jail for it. Deservedly.

Meh. He went to basically a detention center for most of it and signed a career contract while inside. Hardly punishment.

Pretty sure both MacT and Bowman suffer more from regret as punishment

Reactions: Stoneman89

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So he did what would satisfy people enough for someone to give him his multi million dollar job back.
I guess if the home fans are willing to swallow that, congrats to him.

If you are a cynic then I guess that would be your point of view.

If you believe people can learn, grow and change from their mistakes then maybe you might believe that he is well positioned to help educate many more to improve the game and society.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How old are you? Just asking, because it doesn't seem like you know what the 80s were like.

First, the only places to get the news was the newspaper, the evening news, ITV's Sports Night, and 630 CHED. So if nobody in those outlets was talking about MacTavish's transgressions when we brought him in, most fans wouldn't have known. Now, if they did mention it, it was probably just a line at the end of the article, to try to hide it. Nobody was trying to throw the Oilers under the bus at that time.

Also, DUI's weren't seen as nearly as big of a deal as they are now. Drinking and driving was a lot more common, and a DUI was just as likely to be considered bad luck as a stupid decision, like it is now. This was before a lot of the MADD anti-drinking and driving campaigns, and the police weren't as big on the education side of why its bad to drink and drive until the 80s. Does that make what MacTavish did okay? No. But it explains in part why Oiler fans weren't as upset over that as they are over this.

You are applying today's standard of morality to something that happened 40 years ago, and that is a complete failure in logic.
I was around then, and it WAS a big deal. Everyone knew. Killing someone is ALWAYS a big deal. People were throwing the Oilers under the bus, if you yourself were actually around then. Only it wasn't on social media like we have today. It was around water cooler, talking about it at the lake, etc, etc.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
The Oilers line dance

5 steps forward (Draft McDavid! Draisaitl emergence and contract! Talbot deal! Patty Maroon!), 5 steps back (trade for Reinhart, Hall for Larsson, the Lucic gamble, a series of terrible small deals exemplified by the Brandon Manning trade)
5 steps forward (Mike Smith! Zach Hyman! Parts of Evander Kane! Ekholm!), 5 steps back (AA for 2 2nds, the Nurse deal, the drafting in general, a constant zoo of subpar 2RW/2RD never addressed)
5 steps forward (Skinner! Arvidsson! Rico is back! Restocked prospect pool!), 5 steps back (hire a GM with a spotty hockey record and even spottier past)

Seriously didn't think we'd have a moment here to say "why not bring back Ken Holland" but
Why not bring back Ken Holland?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This thread is just one example of why this is a terrible hire. JJ had this entire market in the palm of his hands with a flurry of great moves that had this team set up well in the short and now long term possibly and now he essentially created chaos in the market and a whole whack of questions/confusion.
He could have hired just about anybody else and people would have been largely on board.
I think it proves that Jackson doesn’t care what the market thinks or if they are “eating out of the palm of his hand”. He knows the fans will show up regardless of who the gm is and they’ll pack the building and they’ll pay outrageous amounts for playoffs tickets.

Inevitably some will turn their back on the team but it will be such an insignificant number that those people are really irrelevant. The majority of the fan base will be filling the building come October.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you are a cynic then I guess that would be your point of view.

If you believe people can learn, grow and change from their mistakes then maybe you might believe that he is well positioned to help educate many more improve the game and society.
In this vein, I vote we hire more bank robbers to be in charge of bank security

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This thread is just one example of why this is a terrible hire. JJ had this entire market in the palm of his hands with a flurry of great moves that had this team set up well in the short and now long term possibly and now he essentially created chaos in the market and a whole whack of questions/confusion.
He could have hired just about anybody else and people would have been largely on board.
100% Bad PR. But PR isn’t GMing. Could still be a good GM hire though, time will tell.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it proves that Jackson doesn’t care what the market thinks or if they are “eating out of the palm of his hand”. He knows the fans will show up regardless of who the gm is and they’ll pack the building and they’ll pay outrageous amounts for playoffs tickets.

Inevitably some will turn their back on the team but it will be such an insignificant number that those people are really irrelevant. The majority of the fan base will be filling the building come October.
That's... not a good thing.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Didn't know Chicago paid off a 17 year old (17 year old took the money) for a NDA. Chicago in the end, gets rewarded with Bedard

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was around then, and it WAS a big deal. Everyone knew. Killing someone is ALWAYS a big deal. People were throwing the Oilers under the bus, if you yourself were actually around then. Only it wasn't on social media like we have today. It was around water cooler, talking about it at the lake, etc, etc.
I was around, but pretty young, which is why I likely don't remember it if it caused a storm like you are suggesting. I would wager that most of the people throwing the Oilers under the bus had moved on within a week or two though, as that's what happened back then. I think my point still stands though - morality changes over time. Holding today's standards to another generation is flawed.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad