Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
already been done, you can back the Bowman is the man crusade... nice start so far
I think it proves that Jackson doesn’t care what the market thinks or if they are “eating out of the palm of his hand”. He knows the fans will show up regardless of who the gm is and they’ll pack the building and they’ll pay outrageous amounts for playoffs tickets.

Inevitably some will turn their back on the team but it will be such an insignificant number that those people are really irrelevant. The majority of the fan base will be filling the building come October.
Fans will do all that if we keep winning. This move was obviously not done for PR or optics. In JJs opinion, this is how we stay winning.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
forgetting the sexual abuse…..
How is this not….
Chiarelli 3.0
Holland 2.0
?

All gms past their primes…. But because they won cups more than a decade ago, and then completely ruined their teams they are the perfect hires.

Reactions: foshizzle

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The issue with Chicago was they were the anti-Tampa. They rewarded the core guys that brought them 3 championships. Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook etc. Unlike Tampa, they ship out any players that showed any sign of decline or potentially bad deal. Stamkos, Sergachev etc

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I need to get a list of all the amazing workplaces people have here. I haven't been in a job where there were not toxic elements. I can only think of one manager that I called a really great boss. The rest are ok, scaling down to horrible and toxic.

To say bowman is the most horrible human for acting no different than most people would have done is silly.

All forms of bullying, harassment etc occur on work and most say nothing because they need to keep their job.

I don't blame bowman hockey has many levels of culture and even during our cup run people were mad about Kane not being well and had he healed earlier or some other player this we could have won.

Have we moved ahead when all we can see is the cup as an end goal and not the people involved

Many fans would have made the same choice to cover up an incident with a marginal player on the roster if if even increased our odds to win by one percent.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
forgetting the sexual abuse…..
How is this not….
Chiarelli 3.0
Holland 2.0
?

All gms past their primes…. But because they won cups more than a decade ago, and then completely ruined their teams they are the perfect hires.
He's definitely a big reason why the Hawks are so bad right now. Just like Holland the Wings.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Would you prefer providing absolutely no educational programming to young players as far as this issue goes? Would that be better?
I'm still waiting for fans like you vehemently defending the hiring all day to explain what's was "the work he put in for 2 years"?

I mean it keeps getting thrown back to "he put work in, read the Kennedy statement, he's done the work".

Ok and what was this work he's been doing for 2 years? You're one of his most vocal defenders so do share since this work is good enough.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I mean all they need to do is talk to Sheldon Kennedy. No one can explain the "work Bowman did" with Kennedy or anyone else.

What is the work exactly telling some u15 team that they sgoul behave good because it has consequences?
Just give up and go away then. Seriously. There's ample evidence that Kennedy snd Bowman have been doing some good work. I'll give Bowman credit for attempting to learn from his mistakes and atone by trying to make safer environments. All i've seen you do here today is bitch, moan, and willfully ignore whst he's tried to do.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seth Jones' contract. Enough said. Or just the current state of the Blackhawks.
Has there even been a GM that has successfully GM’d a post-Cup aging prime core? Like you look around at the Pittsburghs, Chicagos, LA, and soon Tampas of the League. They win Cups, their best players get old and shitty, and there doesn’t seem much that can be done to right the ship when it’s already sinking.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The issue with Chicago was they were the anti-Tampa. They rewarded the core guys that brought them 3 championships. Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook etc. Unlike Tampa, they ship out any players that showed any sign of decline. Stamkos, Sergachev etc
Sergachev is still in his 20's with plenty of great hockey left in him. He's had some injuries lately. They are just a couple years out of their last SC. Their demise has already started.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm still waiting for fans like you vehemently defending the hiring all day to explain what's was "the work he put in for 2 years"?

I mean it keeps getting thrown back to "he put work in, read the Kennedy statement, he's done the work".

Ok and what was this work he's been doing for 2 years? You're one of his most vocal defenders so do share since this work is good enough.

Well, like others have suggested (and it appears you have ignored), if you bothered to read Sheldon Kennedy's letter it might help you figure that part out.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Didn't know Chicago paid off a 17 year old (17 year old took the money) for a NDA. Chicago in the end, gets rewarded with Bedard

I hate this. Gregor just talked about it on his show and of course the victim is going to take the money. Its sad that their voice isn't going to be heard because the hawks essentially paid him off. If they actually wanted to right the wrong, they would rip up/waive the NDA.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Has there even been a GM that has successfully GM’d a post-Cup aging prime core? Like you look around at the Pittsburghs, Chicagos, LA, and soon Tampas of the League. They win Cups, their best players get old and shitty, and there doesn’t seem much that can be done to right the ship when it’s already sinking.
You can supplement this with savvy drafting and moves. Also very few crash to the bottom the way the Hawks have.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Well, like others have suggested (and it appears you have ignored), if you bothered to read Sheldon Kennedy's letter it might help you figure that part out.
I have read his 2 page letter. Ironically I have "put the work in". So again you're one of the vocal defenders of bowman all day. What is this work? Are you implying the work Bowman did was what was in the letter calling Kennedy and talking to him frequently?

This is "the work"?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure, let some other team be the "hero" and hire him then.

Certainly Jackson didn’t need to go down this road and I agree it’s a PR nightmare. But he did for reasons he believes will make the team better on and off the ice both professionally and culturally.

I believe Jackson has a grasp on the situation few if any have and as fans we are separated from the thought process by a wide gulf. He’s literally put his career on the line with this hire knowing the blowback he’s going to get.

Not sure why he’d take that risk unless he’s either completely naive - which hearing his comments at the presser we know he’s not, or he’s completely confident this is the right hire.

Reactions: Stoneman89

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have read his 2 page letter. Ironically I have "put the work in". So again you're one of the vocal defenders of bowman all day. What is this work? Are you implying the work Bowman did was what was in the letter calling Kennedy and talking to him frequently?

This is "the work"?

Watch the TSN interview of Kennedy.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

This is "the work"?

If you can't comprehend (or simply choose to ignore) the pretty detailed description of the work he's done with Kennedy over the past year(s) in the letter, then I can't really help you.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

This is "the work"?
what do you have liked to see him done?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I hate this. Gregor just talked about it on his show and of course the victim is going to take the money. Its sad that their voice isn't going to be heard because the hawks essentially paid him off. If they actually wanted to right the wrong, they would rip up/waive the NDA.
I agree the bedard win and now Bowman being washed clean seems so fishy. Pretty sure Bowman knows about a lot of skeletons the league has in the closet.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
:laugh: Once Drai is signed, and this team hits the ice this fall, I predict game one and every other game thereafter will be full and the fans will be cheering for them like crazy once again.
Wow, really going out on a limb there Nostradamus.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sergachev is still in his 20's with plenty of great hockey left in him. He's had some injuries lately. They are just a couple years out of their last SC. Their demise has already started.
Tampa is kind of like Boston. People writing them off and somehow they continue doing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad