Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Bowman was informed of the Beach incident, his boss the POHO McDonagh said he would handle it. Mcdonagh waited 2 playoff series to not cause distraction on their cup run then reported it to HR. A bad hire happened under Bowman’s watch and bad handling of the situation as a part of the management group, but he didn’t rape anyone. Let’s keep this in perspective. Aldrich, the rapist, is the real monster here. Bowman doesn’t deserve a free pass though, which is why he was fired as both the Hawks GM and US Olympics hockey GM. How long after should he have to be punished is up for debate. But eventually people should be able to rehabilitate. Criminals who murder are given chances to rehab. Bowman didn’t commit a crime here. Has put in the work to understand victims like Beach through the Kennedy foundation, to better understand the impact someone like Aldrich can have on victims, to help victims, and to learn how to be better in these situations in the future. If Bowman knows he f***ed up, wants to make amends and help victims moving forward, that’s a good thing in general to come out of a very shitty situation caused by the evil that is Aldrich.
The disconnect here is people seem to think that not having the position of NHL GM is somehow "punishment" for Bowman. He doesn't need to be punished forever, he needs to continue working on himself in a position that isn't NHL executive.

It might be because we saw this coming lol
Yeah, which honestly is f***ed up in itself that the media knew this was realistic enough to prepare everyone beforehand. I almost wish this came out of nowhere, so they deservedly got the full backlash of the fanbase learning about it for the first time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting that Kennedy requested to be at the press conference to SUPPORT Stan. Kennedy knows more about rape victims in hockey than any one of us. If he’s worked with Stan for 2 years and realizes he’s changed and is convinced he will NOT be a detriment to victims moving forward, can help, and has felt true remorse and regret for his actions, then I’m gonna have to go with that. Stan deserves a chance…

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I’m still shocked that JJ decided Bowman was the best candidate. It’s not like JJ had a run of bad moves leading up to this. His summer was filled with smart and reasonable moves. Then all of a sudden this.

It’s like watching that super smart student in class get As on every test in a subject then randomly he fails the final exam.

Just makes no sense to me.
I was expecting a hidden genius out of left field like the Knob hiring.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Has he actually hung them up? The only news I can find on Toews is over the lack of news about him.

After Kane, I'd imagine Bowman is the most likely person in the NHL to convince him to give it one final go. Even with a year off, I think he could easily be a quality 4C at 36.
From what I heard, long term Covid finished him off. He was a shadow of a player at the end. The reason there is no news for him is exactly that. He's retired and out of the limelight.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Or was looking for the easy way out. "he didn't return my call".

I think it's impossible to know.

It's just as easy to speculate that Bowman didn't want to harass Beach for his own gain, and took Beach's initial lack of response as Beach saying he wasn't ready or willing to talk.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The disconnect here is people seem to think that not having the position of NHL GM is somehow "punishment" for Bowman. He doesn't need to be punished forever, he needs to continue working on himself in a position that isn't NHL executive.

Yeah, which honestly is f***ed up in itself that the media knew this was realistic enough to prepare everyone beforehand. I almost wish this came out of nowhere, so they deservedly got the full backlash of the fanbase learning about it for the first time.
That’s your prescription for his punishment. And maybe that’s what would be just. But it’s just your opinion at the end of the day. There are no guidelines or laws or League Rules that say how long or what his punishment should be. Maybe he should have had to work his way up from towel boy to GM again, I don’t know. But I know no one has the “right” way for him to get back in the game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m still shocked that JJ decided Bowman was the best candidate. It’s not like JJ had a run of bad moves leading up to this. His summer was filled with smart and reasonable moves. Then all of a sudden this.

It’s like watching that super smart student in class get As on every test in a subject then randomly he fails the final exam.

Just makes no sense to me.
In your opinion, he "failed the final exam." Results TBD.

Reactions: oilers'72

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’d have preferred Hunter or Keith Gretzky but if Kyle Beach and Sheldon Kennedy are okay with this, I’m okay with it. Still would have liked Hunter, though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That’s your prescription for his punishment. And maybe that’s what would be just. But it’s just your opinion at the end of the day. There are no guidelines or laws or League Rules that say how long or what his punishment should be. Maybe he should have had to work his way up from towel boy to GM again, I don’t know. But I know no one has the “right” way for him to get back in the game.
Then let some other org figure it out. Why ours?

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
The right way is not some crazy rocket science and would have been to hire just anyone but Bowman.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
MacT was hired by the Oilers as a player, in quicker succession than Bowmans timeline.

i don't think your point stands, or I'm not understanding it.

Bowman also was not the culprit. MacT was.

Could also be stated that in both instances mores are blurred through time. In fairness.
My point is, that nobody cares about what MacT did because it was 40 years ago. 40 years is a lot more time to have to forgive someone than 3 years. With MacT, we're talking about something that happened before a good portion of the members of this board were even born.

MacT was also not management when he made his mistake. He was a depth player in his 20s, in a decade when the party lifestyle was the norm. Not the #2 guy in a multi-million dollar company who is supposed to be a leader to his entire organization.

Time doesn't make what MacT did less tragic - he killed someone after all - but at least he served some time for his crime. He actually went to jail. Bowman got to step away from a job for a couple of years and come back to one of the best GM jobs in the league.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Edit - now that the presser has happened it sounds like Beach has been working with Bowman and Bowman has been achieving positive results in youth hockey bringing to light these issues. JJ also said Beach (paraphrasing) was positive about the hire.

I’ve taken the time to read as much as I can on the whole situation, taken some time to try to understand the hire from different points I’ve view, and at the end of the day it feels like all the air has been let out of a balloon that has been rising for the past few years. Like a big punch to the gut. Even if one is able to come to grips with his part of the coverup, second chances, etc, I think the Hawks SC wins really hide what an average to below average job he did as GM there. The cups were going to come with the talented team he inherited. I am honestly shocked we made this hire, I don’t understand it on any level, and am really, really disappointed in this choice. Having said that, what’s done is done, and I sure as hell hope that JJ has got this one right.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
man this thread is wild. Everyone has their own relationship with trauma I guess.

With hindsight it's easy to say how Bowman should have acted, but Bowman did not have that information, and still did the right thing by removing the person from the Black hawks.

He should have referred the matter to police, that was the negligence. Expecting Bowman to come out to the media with an unproven allegation is unfair, he definitely should not have done that based on an allegation.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Kennedy and Beach support the hire.

" I will not support the team anymore" - random fans

200w.gif

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can't say I have ever seen Oilers fans so united in opposition to a move before. I hope this hits their season ticket efforts because that's the only thing that matters to this org.
I'm in no situation to buy season tix, but I won't be attending any games next year because of this. I probably wouldn't have anyway, most years I don't. I don't plan on buying any merch - but I was unlikely to buy new merch anyway. I got a new hat this year, but I'm not a jersey guy, so I'm fine with what I have. I'm a fan, but I don't spend much directly on the Oilers, so there isn't much I can do if I wanted to protest with my money.

Reactions: Little Fury

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
JJ dropped the best in class line again lol. Nice to hear. Wasn’t just PR, he’s making it happen with all the hires he dones thus far. The Stan hire, we shall see, but I trust JJs judgement.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've acknowledged Bowman was responsible for wrongdoing.

Maybe time to take a stand like others have laughably done and stop watching the team. Or spamming the board, either will do.
"I acknowledge that he enabled an abuser, but that just doesn't matter much to me"

Last I checked you aren't a mod, and until you are, I'll post whatever I want within site rules. If that bothers you, you're welcome to hit ignore or post somewhere else.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hossa was signed July 1, Bowman was hired as GM July 14. Tallon, not Bowman signed Hossa.
According to most Blackhawk’s fans tallon wanted to sign havlat long term and bowman was pushing for Hossa.

There’s a reason tallon was gone 14 days after free agency.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
"I acknowledge that he enabled an abuser, but that just doesn't matter much to me"

Last I checked you aren't a mod, and until you are, I'll post whatever I want within site rules. If that bothers you, you're welcome to hit ignore or post somewhere else.

Must be tough to support a team with an abuse enabler at the helm.

If whining about it here is therapeutic for you, then fill your boots. You would think that most people taking this type of stand would be "done" with the team, but if posting more about it helps you cope, then be my guest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad