Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
because it says virtually nothing, and puts words in Beach's mouth without him actually saying them?

Bowman is also an absolute dogshit GM purely from a hockey perspective, so there's that too
What do you mean it says nothing? It literally says Kyle supports bowman’s reinstatement. Putting words in his mouth? How in the world does that tweet suggest he did that?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Feel better about the personal stuff after hearing the press conference. Looks like he actually spent time talking with beach to make amends. Still not thrilled his trades and signings records. Hopefully Jackson has the ability to oversee that.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
This Org LOVES bad PR and drama lol

Stan inherited all of the cup winning pieces, and then 6 straight years after, they did not win 1 playoff series.

Signs Seth Jones too and our dumbo Holland gives Nurse a comparable

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh, facts? okay.

My view on the matter is that Bowman's inaction allowed Brad Aldrich to sexually assault more people, one of whom was a minor. How's that for facts?

"The lead investigator, former assistant US attorney Reid Schar, stated that Bowman's failure to report the alleged assault had consequences, eventually leading to the perpetrator committing further acts of sexual abuse.”

Kyle Beach being OK with Bowman being allowed to work in the league again isn't the same as an endorsement for him to be put in that position again.

Like I said - moving the goalposts when something contravenes your fully entrenched position.

Reactions: oilers'72

battlegoon

Jun 13, 2009
Calgary, AB
Since we are giving Stan bowman another chance...let's get quenville, Graham James and Brad Aldrich second chances as well. Those guys should be banned for life from the league IMO

C'mon now. There's a big difference between someone knowing about a rape and the people actually committing one. Hate on this as much as you want, but the two aren't comparable at all.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Bowman made a lot of mistakes in the press conference. One of them I noticed was when he was "working with Kennedy" and Kennedy asked him did you try to contact beach.

"yeah I did he didn't return my call". The hierarchy of how serious people take things email, call, zoom meeting and finally in person meeting.

Kennedy had to make him keep trying to reach out to Beach. Unbelievable.
Maybe Bowman was ashamed so he didn't try to call him back because Beach hated him?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He said they've known each other for 25 years I think?
I might have missed that

Yep, I mentioned that earlier.

Imagine you're McDavid getting married going on his honeymoon after coming off of the teams' best season of his career and great offseason, as good as it gets from a personal and professional standpoint, then you have to come back to answer to THIS immediately after because you know the media will swarm him with Bowman questions.
I'm sure he endorsed this hiring on some level because McDavid probably trusts in JJ no matter what his choices are (hell, McDavid endorsed the Brandon Manning trade for cripes sake, he's a YES man essentially) but for a guy who loathes the media as is, he's going to be walking into quite a shitstorm that I'm sure he's not looking forward to.
It's unfair to put the players in this position but that's now the reality.

You also wonder if this has a snowball effect around the league now. This is Bowman's reputation now so I can only imagine that at least some players aren't too keen on the idea of playing for this guy so this might narrow their options somewhat. This just seems so unneeded, I'm still wrapping my head around how JJ sees this as a positive in any way. A market like Vegas can probably get away with a controversial hire like this, I'm not sure Edmonton can.
You make it sound like McDavid has a dead end job haha

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Feel better about the personal stuff after hearing the press conference. Looks like he actually spent time talking with beach to make amends. Still not thrilled his trades and signings records. Hopefully Jackson has the ability to oversee that.
How about hiring someone you don’t have to watch like a hawk instead?

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I love how angry this is making people and how conflicted they are going to be when the Oilers win.

Bowman gonna get his name on the cup for a 4th time. How many GM’s have done that?
I'm gonna go as far as to say as I hope the oilers don't win the cup for this very reason

Some things in life are more important then hockey, this wil be my last post here until bowman is gone

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I honestly don't follow GM and coaches so I didn't know who this guy was but from what I have seen and heard he was one of the guys in charge during the Blackhawks scandal, and that he made real terrible moves/trades before he left the Blackhawks, If that is all true then this is a real terrible choice and I don't know why the Oilers hired him if true.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Only thing that made me happy today is when Jackson said he doesn't need to consult players for coach and management decisions.

We need to get away from this "but mcdavid is tight with him" culture. Gives me hope that Nurse can be moved.
Don't be so naive man. Of course he talked to our leadership group are you kidding me?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I love how angry this is making people and how conflicted they are going to be when the Oilers win.

Bowman gonna get his name on the cup for a 4th time. How many GM’s have done that?
And if they don't win the Cup? Are you going to be happy?

Still yet to see anyone give a reason why this hire is a good one.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Hossa was signed July 1, Bowman was hired as GM July 14. Tallon, not Bowman signed Hossa.
I believe he was still a part of the management team wasn't he?

I didn’t think he would hire him personally but the writing was on the wall early on.

End of year presser said he was planning on hiring GM by mid July. League announced Bowman was free to be re-hired like a week after free agency. Jackson pretty much had this planned since the end of the season. Just needed a week or two to get media in check and prepare for the press conference. I don’t think he really even interviewed others.

Time will tell if its a good move.
Nope. Seravalli confirmed JJ reached out to Seattle to interview Jason Botterill. This interview was done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad