Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I sincerely hope that the Edmonton market holds the Oilers to account on this one. Hiring the manager of an organization that covered up a rape that directly led to a second rape is beyond awful and shouldn't be tolerated. And all this in order to win at a sport? Its terrible on so many levels and shouldn't be accepted by Edmonton.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Honestly the reaction from fans on HF has been kind of encouraging. There’s clearly still division, but I’ve never seen a topic where so many posters are at least completely civil with eachother, and appear to be somewhat understanding of why someone would be reacting very negatively to the hire.
It might be because we saw this coming lol

Reactions: oilers'72 and 3IR

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This Org LOVES bad PR and drama lol

Stan inherited all of the cup winning pieces, and then 6 straight years after, they did not win 1 playoff series.

Signs Seth Jones too and our dumbo Holland gives Nurse a comparable

At this point it feels like a foregone conclusion that the Oilers will bring in the 5 players from the Hockey Canada scandal should they be found not guilty of their charges.

This organization flocks to scandals around sexual assault like a moth to a flame.

Reactions: Hodgy

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
They can sign Mcleod, Hart, and Dube to fill out the rest of the roster.
I mean all they need to do is talk to Sheldon Kennedy. No one can explain the "work Bowman did" with Kennedy or anyone else.

What is the work exactly telling some u15 team that they sgoul behave good because it has consequences?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I mean all they need to do is talk to Sheldon Kennedy. No one can explain the "work Bowman did" with Kennedy or anyone else.

What is the work exactly telling some u15 team that they sgoul behave good because it has consequences?
Here is a clip of him speaking with a team.

IMG_5626.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Sanchez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bowman was informed of the Beach incident, his boss the POHO McDonagh said he would handle it. Mcdonagh waited 2 playoff series to not cause distraction on their cup run then reported it to HR. A bad hire happened under Bowman’s watch and bad handling of the situation as a part of the management group, but he didn’t rape anyone. Let’s keep this in perspective. Aldrich, the rapist, is the real monster here. Bowman doesn’t deserve a free pass though, which is why he was fired as both the Hawks GM and US Olympics hockey GM. How long after should he have to be punished is up for debate. But eventually people should be able to rehabilitate. Criminals who murder are given chances to rehab. Bowman didn’t commit a crime here. Has put in the work to understand victims like Beach through the Kennedy foundation, to better understand the impact someone like Aldrich can have on victims, to help victims, and to learn how to be better in these situations in the future. If Bowman knows he f***ed up, wants to make amends and help victims moving forward, that’s a good thing in general to come out of a very shitty situation caused by the evil that is Aldrich.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I thought you were only interested in facts, all I've done is present facts. No need to get so emotional.

I've acknowledged Bowman was responsible for wrongdoing.

Maybe time to take a stand like others have laughably done and stop watching the team. Or spamming the board, either will do.

Reactions: oilers'72

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Hopefully people read these reports and then pass judgement. People are allowed to atone for their mistakes in our society and when someone like Sheldon Kennedy endorses him that’s tells me he’s put the work in to make the necessary changes.

From a pure hockey related standpoint I’m not crazy about it but with JJ now fully in command and with his oversight I’ll see what happens and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Edit - now that the presser has happened it sounds like Beach has been working with Bowman and Bowman has been achieving positive results in youth hockey bringing to light these issues. JJ also said Beach (paraphrasing) was positive about the hire.

Thats the old boys club doing a quick white wash to try to cover the dirt. Its window dressing and PR.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Would you prefer providing absolutely no educational programming to young players as far as this issue goes? Would that be better?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m still shocked that JJ decided Bowman was the best candidate. It’s not like JJ had a run of bad moves leading up to this. His summer was filled with smart and reasonable moves. Then all of a sudden this.

It’s like watching that super smart student in class get As on every test in a subject then randomly he fails the final exam.

Just makes no sense to me.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think there’s something big and good coming. Oilers management and media are smart. They want us to stop talking about bowman and talk about something else.

They will want a good move done to put some shine on Bowman but also make something else front page news and not him.

AKA Leon Draisaitl.

I’m calling it guys: next week 8 years 12.5 mill

Reactions: TheNumber4

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In what capacity? With his playing days clearly done due to long term Covid some time ago, do you see him as a scout?

Has he actually hung them up? The only news I can find on Toews is over the lack of news about him.

After Kane, I'd imagine Bowman is the most likely person in the NHL to convince him to give it one final go. Even with a year off, I think he could easily be a quality 4C at 36.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I’m still shocked that JJ decided Bowman was the best candidate. It’s not like JJ had a run of bad moves leading up to this. His summer was filled with smart and reasonable moves. Then all of a sudden this.

It’s like watching that super smart student in class get As on every test in a subject then randomly he fails the final exam.

Just makes no sense to me.

Just old boys being old boys.

Reactions: Shizuka

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

Tbh I have no idea who Sheldon Kennedy was until I watched that interview. They couldn't have just signed someone with a good background and is motivated to win? We as a fanbase don't have time for this nonsense. They are a sports team, not some rehabilitation program to get people back into the NHL.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have a co-worker who keeps reminding me that the Hawks won three cups with him as GM.

Though I asked him to name one good trade or signing he made during that time and he couldn't
Detroit won four Cups with Ken Holland as GM.

Coincidentally he ended his Oilers tenure with the same number of cups.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Experience and stature, big reasons why JJ chose Bowman. To me, that makes sense, GMs are a boys club in this League, connections matter, favors matter. Maybe in an effort to “protect their own”, GMs will deal fairly with Bowman and we can make some win-win trades happen. That’s my hockey take on all this, having not looked into Bowman’s GM work in Chicago in detail, but there are some redflags that stand out. The Jones signing, the Panarin trade. Holland was ultimately fine to good as a GM here and had plenty of redflags in Detroit.

I’ve liked every move and decision JJ has made this far. Including trades, signings, and hirings. Hearing how Bowman’s vision aligns with JJs makes me optimistic he could be a good GM for us. But time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad