Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I call bullshit on teams asking for a 1st or 2nd for them as a hey both have some value. Future considerations sure.

From Fat Bob and the steam is chicken mediterranean pizza gas coming from his ass. Do you smell what the Bob is cooking?

I'm joking, I don't know what pundit is providing the bullshit today in oilerland. I wonder if one day people will stop believing the stories?
Like isn’t our defence objexticely worse if we are essentially replacing Ceci and Kulak with Broberg and Stecher?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We could take a flyer on Gustav Lindstrom and maybe Marco Scandella at $1M deals, walk from Broberg, match Holloway and trade Ceci for futures. Cap crunch solved.

There are actually lots of replacement level D that could replace Broberg this year. The issues really start next year, when you'd think Broberg would take a step forward (assuming he plays a full year with the NHL team this year). But for this year, Broberg is not going to be a difference maker at all, and you could save 3.5 M on the cap by signing a UFA vet guy to play 12-14 mins a night.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Stecher's as good a skater you'll find on any NHL blueline, and has good on-ice awareness. I can't think of many instances of him getting run over at the NHL level.

But as we saw these past playoffs with Hughes, it doesn't matter how fast you are, at some point in a 7 game series teams are going to key in and find a way to tag you. Both Nashville and Edmonton succeeded in that.

I was screaming for him in the playoffs before his injury was publicly known, so I like the player a lot .I would be perfectly fine with running Bouch/Ceci/Stetcher on the right side next year, and then make an upgrade as the TDL. That is good enough to make the playoffs without question, as we are gonna score a LOT of goals with our forwards. Could sign a guy like Barrie easily enough as well, if you want some more right D help.

I like Broberg, but 4.6 is just too much. Let him go and wish him the best.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There are actually lots of replacement level D that could replace Broberg this year. The issues really start next year, when you'd think Broberg would take a step forward (assuming he plays a full year with the NHL team this year). But for this year, Broberg is not going to be a difference maker at all, and you could save 3.5 M on the cap by signing a UFA vet guy to play 12-14 mins a night.
Why is next year Broberg coming out party and not this season? What determines that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agree on much. I fundamentally believe a player is overwhelming responsible for their own development. However the Oilers have significantly bungled this player's development and others. Playing him six to eight minutes, have a good game and then go back to the press box.

It's important to look into context to sift through the fog of trying to evaluate this player and the circumstances surrounding his growth, development, and performance.

Personally I saw the tentative, prone to big hits concern different than most. For me it was a development growth challenge moving from a less physical European league play to North American physical, fast play on smaller ice surfaces. Growing the processor through experience but also the confidence required to slow down play (the latter I believe was worn down and crushed with shitty development). He's never going to be a heavy, physical defenseman. He's a gap, stick defender. Though we're also seeing his man strength arrive with better ability to play in battle areas net front and along the boards.

It's strange to me that a new criticism is Broberg jumping into Final Four Cup competition after a month of no hockey is suddenly luck; NHL Cup Final level goaltending puck stopping averages; and other forces. And mainly on his off shooting side that veteran Kulak demurred to do.

It's all about the fog of latent ability and projection. Personally I trust more St. Louis's ability to assess defensemen than Edmonton's. But the value of Broberg's deal for Edmonton is gone so we wait on how Jackson/Bowman view Broberg at this price tag. That's all that matters.
For sure I wasn't contending that the earlier Broberg looks were tell all. Rather they were fairly par for the course and with him being Euro and more a lanky speed skill guy than a physical D. Was great to see the player figure it out and I enjoyed him in the playoffs immensely.

I was honestly surprised how calm and composed Broberg was. Would wonder if any Coffey assistance in that as there were some shades in the puck movement, in the using skating speed, going wide, etc. Just a side comment but Coffey helped all our D improve.

But if people even want to backtrack to their comments on Broberg during playoffs would be interesting to contrast that with the revisionist "he's probably gone and was overrated" type comments now. The board eats their own whenever it comes to departing players. Suddenly the grapes were sour.

With respect to both Broberg and Holloway they were solid prospects for the org and both showed they could play at this level. Would be a shame to lose one or both now.

Reactions: Ninety7

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why is next year Broberg coming out party and not this season? What determines that?

Nothing, other than the age old "200 NHL GP for Dmen" argument. That isn't a rule written in stone or anything, its a "general guide" that hockey people use, but it does tend to be at lest somewhat accurate. But yeah, Broberg could play decently as a 2nd pairing guy this year and I wouldn't fall off my chair in shock or anything.

There is no guarantee of a coming out party at all though. The list of 5th-15th overall D draft picks that never really became anything is a mighty long list indeed. Broberg could be a 3rd pairing guy for the rest of his career, and that ALSO wouldn't surprise me.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Reports that Broberg doesn't want to be here seal the deal for me.

We all remember at the end of the 18-19 season when a pissed off McDavid said "if you don't want to be here you need to leave". He and Drai, the 2 best players in the world, are giving their prime years to Edmonton despite being able to leave for more money or a warmer destination if they wanted to.

I don't begrudge Broberg for taking the massive raise, because anyone here would do the same thing, but it doesn't fit the culture of this team and sets a bad precedent for the future if you take big risks with your cap structure to cow-tow to unhappy players.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
If they are looking to match (not convinced it’s worth it) then focus on a cap-clearing deal with either the Wings or the Hawks - the Blues’ biggest rivals. It’s going to be painful for the Oilers, regardless, but maybe they can send some of that pain back in St. Louis’ direction.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reports that Broberg doesn't want to be here seal the deal for me.

We all remember at the end of the 18-19 season when a pissed off McDavid said "if you don't want to be here you need to leave". He and Drai, the 2 best players in the world, are giving their prime years to Edmonton despite being able to leave for more money or a warmer destination if they wanted to.

I don't begrudge Broberg for taking the massive raise, because anyone here would do the same thing, but it doesn't fit the culture of this team and sets a bad precedent for the future if you take big risks with your cap structure to cow-tow to unhappy players.

I wouldn't give Broberg the money, full stop. But when you consider the other stuff that is rumored, such as him not really wanting to be part of the team, as well as the impact on the locker room, I am 110% on board with waving bye bye.

McDrai are apparently about to leave millions on the table, and other vet players took cuts as well (RNH, Henrique as prime examples) and there is going to be some 23 year old kid who hasn't proved anything, and whined last year about his treatment that is gonna get paid $2-2.5 million more than he should be getting paid? That sets a pretty bad precedent in the locker room IMO.

Wish you the best Broberg, hope it works out for you, I really do, but I don't want you on the team anymore.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Another good comment. Hughes though (I despise him) is playing mostly topsix opponents. Fortunately we don't require Stecher to be doing that. Hughes also eats such big minutes that the exploit potential is magnified by sheer toi and through inevitable fatigue. Again problems Stecher won't face here.

Teams will be intent on hacking Hughes to bits as its how to get the tree to fall. Beat Hughes and you beat the Canucks. So its a different thing.

Yeah, the bigger issue (double edged sword) for Stecher is he doesn't know when to back down.
He's a great example of don't look at the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. (sorry for linking those 3 idiots, but they cover the point well)

But this is what makes Stecher unreliable. It's not his on-ice play, it's the fact that at 5'10 and 185lb I have zero hope he'd last 82 games and/or 4 playoff rounds before breaking down and getting injured.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you send Broberg to San Jose. It's hit 2 birds with 1 stone. You screw St. Louis and also Broberg over and get a 3rd team to eat 50% of Kostin cap. I'm down for that

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
For sure I wasn't contending that the earlier Broberg looks were tell all. Rather they were fairly par for the course and with him being Euro and more a lanky speed skill guy than a physical D. Was great to see the player figure it out and I enjoyed him in the playoffs immensely.

I was honestly surprised how calm and composed Broberg was. Would wonder if any Coffey assistance in that as there were some shades in the puck movement, in the using skating speed, going wide, etc. Just a side comment but Coffey helped all our D improve.

But if people even want to backtrack to their comments on Broberg during playoffs would be interesting to contrast that with the revisionist "he's probably gone and was overrated" type comments now. The board eats their own whenever it comes to departing players. Suddenly the grapes were sour.

With respect to both Broberg and Holloway they were solid prospects for the org and both showed they could play at this level. Would be a shame to lose one or both now.
Sorry wasn't labeling you on that. Only general comments made over the years on the board.

I credit Coffey for informing the d-change decision to Broberg. But this is a player who built the confidence in himself through the AHL demotion. In height of playoff competition, I highly doubt the Oilers coaching staff are actively working with Black Aces versus focused on the teams on-ice, their own and game planning to beat elite competition.

Ballsy call but Knoblauch and Coffey unlocked a high value performance from a player who did his work to earn it thousands of miles away from their field of view and focus. And I'm someone who loved the Coffey hire from announcement. Credit is Broberg's.

It's now about value and projection by Oilers braintrust. They've painted themselves into a corner financially and through very poor development of their primary, pedigree young assets.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I wouldn't go that far. He wasn't on the team most of last season.
But this was addendum to Woodcroft entirely screwing up the Broberg file and a headcoach coming in cold not being entirely familiar with all the players. So that KK for the longest time also went the Desharnais direction instead of moving much quicker to give Broberg those minutes. There was zero purpose giving Desharnais those minutes but coming in cold a coach doesn't have time or ability to assess all.

I have no doubt had it been KK running TC and coming in for a whole season Broberg would've been in the Oilers lineup, and not Desharnais who was a Woody fave.

This is what often happens in cases of coaches coming in during the season. They kind of run for awhile on precedents and don't stir too much up initially. KK eventually landed on Broberg and it was the right move.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
This is a hilariously vindictive move, and would be REALLY funny if it worked out. The league would step in for certain though to prevent it from happening. But the idea of it is gold.
The league cant do shit if its within the CBA. But of course that doesn't matter to them in the context of the Oilers so we probably wouldn't get away with it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is a hilariously vindictive move, and would be REALLY funny if it worked out. The league would step in for certain though to prevent it from happening. But the idea of it is gold.
It’s not against any rules, so they’d have no ground to stand on to prevent it

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The league cant do shit if its within the CBA. But of course that doesn't matter to them in the context of the Oilers so we probably wouldn't get away with it.
If a team matches an offer sheet the stipulation is the team cannot trade the player for a year. I assume this is still the rule. I haven't found it clearly worded whether the team has to retain the player for a year or if the waiver of a player is an allowed loophole.

I'm not privy to the Lowetide discussion, is this covered within that discussion, i'e, can you actually waive the player?

Next can you waive a player with collusion with another team which is implied in this scenario.

Some grey areas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad