Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't know where this narrative has come from projecting Holloway to play 4th line minutes. He's a player that pushed himself into top six playoff minutes. I love the Janmark Henrique Brown line for their playoff style game. But fully expect Janmark to slide back into his 4th line slot in which he's averaged 13:14 toi as an Oiler. Beauty to have him being able to move up and around the lineup.

Holloway is an ascending young player who pushed up the lineup during a deep Stanley Cup Final. If matched, he's playing 3W with upward mobility potential as Skinner may be one and done. Competition likely and hopefully with Savoie.

Projecting Stetcher to hold up second pair minutes on a playoff contender team is a leap of faith. He's done that as a journeyman on non-playoff, bad teams (Vancouver, Detroit, Arizona) and when traded by playoff teams he's been depth, insurance. Small, game defenseman but that is a huge ask.

The Nurse Ceci pairing is a chaos factory with their tendencies to erratically and impulsively chase play outside of the team's coverage structure. They can't play together. Even said, Ceci was still a 25 point, 20 minute, PK and defensive zone situational player.

It's not hard to project Holloway on the 4th line. Yes, he had a good playoffs, but for as good as he was, even Janmark still averaged more ice time and scored 1 more point than him.

Janmark should get first crack to re-unite with what was the Oilers' best line in the finals, and with the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson, that meant Holloway was starting on the 4th line.
Would he likely steal a 3rd line spot by December? Yeah, most likely. But I wouldn't have bet on him starting the season in the top 9 without injuries.

Short of him blowing expectations out of the water, you're right Stecher's shouldn't be anywhere near the top 4 come playoffs. But for the first few months of the season, while he's playing with someone who covers for his lack of size? That shouldn't be an issue, especially when the 3rd pairing should be able to eat a lot of defensive responsibility.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is right but at the moment Holloway is the 3 or 4LW but penciled 4LW for now. Long term I agree he is 2LW with Skinner gone next year.

Stecher is on the time like it or not since he took a 775k contract and is cheap - it was really smart. He is the 3RD in my opinion and yeah the chaos factory in Ceci Nurse is back it wont hold us back from the playoffs but if we can get a retained D for Ceci's cost that is an upgrade that is huge at the deadline. So that is where the 1st 2026 + 2nd STL + 3rd STL + prospects all go and we are a better team for it.

Holloway just created an issue as if we match that one we can more easily do so just burying players but making a trade where it is logically from our D for cap space he doesnt replace any of them like Broberg cheap did (prior to offersheet).
Except I don't think this team projected Holloway as a 4W going into this season. He would likely get slotted in at 3W to add speed and forecheck complement to Henrique's game (and game speed).

Not arguing about Stetcher as a decent utility depth d. They needed to build up this roster weakness. Agree he is maybe a rotational 3RD with Brown all depending on what this team does for the match. There's is still an unknown path that could include moving out both Kulak and Ceci in a staggered manner to start the season and at deadline for upgrade. All will be revealed when Jackson/Bowman let everyone know how or if they value Broberg now and future.

I think Holloway made a bad decision. But he's chosen financial security as a young player with a couple significant injuries. Hard to fault that. Whether it removes him from the Oilers plans is to be revealed next Tuesday.

Reactions: Macblender

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway is from Bragg Creek. His family is probably loaded. That decision to accept the offersheet should surprise everyone. He could afford to wait a little.

• Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Here's the other thing too (at the risk of sounding like copium)... As much as Broberg and Holloway were incredible in playoffs, it's always possible that either of them become the next Pisani - clutch in postseason, cashes in, but then never reaches that level again (with the caveat of Pisani's colitis of course).

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For years people decried Edmonton gifting spots to young players instead of rounding out the roster with veterans. Then as a contending team they choose veteran players over young guys who haven’t been consistent enough to warrant taking a veterans spot on a contending team and suddenly we’re all mad about it?
Misleading. This is a fanbase that has seen the kidline ride the Oilers to a Stanley Cup in 90. Seen one of the youngest teams in the league hoist several cups in the 80's. Seen a rookie line under Gagner do great things and basically carry a club. Seen a young Hemsky do some amazing things.

I've always appreciated that a contending team should have prospects on it and particularly the contractual help of ELC contracts on it. In the dead puck era it seemed to help to have veteran laden teams and guys that would just shut it down and frankly shut speed down. But in current play speed and pace and having youth in lineup generally matters. The Oilers still had that last season. Perhaps significantly now without McLeod, Foegele who both played with pace, and potentially Holloway and Broberg. Thats a lot of team speed to lose. Its a lot of youth to lose as well.

A team who's youngest player is around 25 isn't a very age balanced line up. Finally considering this is NHL hockey where regular season and playoffs are attrition battles.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
I think I match both. We have a squeeze this year, but next year isn't really that bad. Here is my thought on next year based on Puck Pedia today:
  • Oilers Current Cap Hit: $95,225,541 (23-man roster of 13F, 8 D, 2G, that includes Holloway and Broberg)
  • Bonus Overage Adjustment: -$3,300,000 (Current overage of -$3,550,000 less potential of $250,000)
  • UFA's not resigned: -$9,300,000 (Perry, C. Brown, Ryan, Skinner, Ceci)
  • Dead Cap Relief: -$720,000
  • Draisaitl Add: $5,000,000
  • Bouchard Add: $5,500,000
  • Revised Cap Hit for 2025-26: $92,405,541 (18-man roster of 9F, 7D, 2G)
I would aim for a 22 man roster for 2025-26 of 13F, 7D, 2G.
  • Trade Kane: -$5,125,000
  • Add Savoie & Lavoie: $1,661,666
  • Sign 3 Depth Forwards @ $1M per: $3,000,000
  • Revised Cap Hit for 2025-26: $91,942,207
Depending on the rise in the cap ($92M - cap space of $57,793; $93M - cap space of $1,057,793). Even if you think Bouchard gets a larger jump (I have him at $9.4M AAV), you still have options available to you to manage your cap space (e.g., Replace J. Brown with cheaper option, Trade Kulak and bring in cheaper option).

The following season still is not horrible as you have other expiring contracts (Arvidsson + Henrique for $7M) and another increase in cap to offset potential raises for Holloway/Broberg and McDavid (worst case I see if a $3.5M increase bringing him to $16M AAV) and then you fill in the rest of the roster with what you need to at the time. It could also be the case you walk away or trade one or both of Holloway and Broberg if it doesn't work out giving you further flexibility.

There is obviously some hope here (Savoie and Lavoie or an equivalent can be found and fit in, etc.), but I don't think it is as bad as it seems today.

If you manage the current year with LTIR (Kane $5.125M), Send J. Brown to AHL for $1M, etc. it becomes easier in the following years.
You are projecting forward but isn't our overage for this year the 3.55 mil? 3.25 for Brown, 250k for Perry from last year. If accurate (on the 3.55) we are 100k over the cap with this lineup. This is assuming no Kane LTIR or it's a partial LTIR until the new year.

overage 3.55 mil
buyout JC 1.1, Neal 1.917

Skinner McD Hyms
Nuge Drai Ard
Janmark Henrique Brown
Kane Ryan Lavoie

Perry

Eks Bouch
Nurse Stecher (hopefully we can get Barrie/Schultz/?)
Kulak Ceci

Skins
Picks

If you are correct, we would be under the cap and could get Barrie/Schultz to replace Stecher in the top 4, be cap compliant and have a doable 21 man roster. This is factoring Kane in the lineup at some point. No use kicking the can down the road if he's not out all year.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Stetcher is not a big guy, more of the poke check type. All good in regular season but the Canucks would have crumpled him.

LA likely would have ran him over too.

His spot would need to be upgraded come March and the trade deadline. But he should be able to mask that need a bit and stop vultures from circling, looking to extort the Oil in a trade for an upgrade.

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's not hard to project Holloway on the 4th line. Yes, he had a good playoffs, but for as good as he was, even Janmark still averaged more ice time and scored 1 more point than him.

Janmark should get first crack to re-unite with what was the Oilers' best line in the finals, and with the additions of Skinner and Arvidsson, that meant Holloway was starting on the 4th line.
Would he likely steal a 3rd line spot by December? Yeah, most likely. But I wouldn't have bet on him starting the season in the top 9 without injuries.

Short of him blowing expectations out of the water, you're right Stecher's shouldn't be anywhere near the top 4 come playoffs. But for the first few months of the season, while he's playing with someone who covers for his lack of size? That shouldn't be an issue, especially when the 3rd pairing should be able to eat a lot of defensive responsibility.
Disagree. The Oilers don't need an elite veteran checking line that had a magical playoff run on their third line. They need to integrate youth, size, speed and forecheck ability along with developing talent.

Janmark's toi average as an Oiler is 13:14 with past regular season 11:54. He's been one of my favourite unsung players since signed. However he likely slots 4W with ability to move up the lineup. His value shows up in grinding playoff hockey.

The Oilers lost speed with Foegele and McLeod (crazy to say youth but this is an old team) in their top nine. Holloway delivers that and with something those two didn't do, bring a hard ice game with a physical intensity. The issue know is his value financially on an over budgeted team that took their eye off their budget and got cooked for it.

I anticipate a rotation of Stetcher and Brown based on situational play/opposition. But that depends again on how or if Jackson/Bowman value Broberg for this team, short-term and long-term.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holloway is from Bragg Creek. His family is probably loaded. That decision to accept the offersheet should surprise everyone. He could afford to wait a little.
Holloway though had some injury problems early in career including two to wrist that could've set him back and did have him missing out for extended times. He had also contracted Covid during the epidemic. Theres some things like that as well that could sharpen a youths concerns about how tenuous a career can be and how things can easily impact.

Whether his family is wealthy or not (almost all NHL players come from wealth) imo shouldn't impact whether the player wants the security for his own future and potential family etc. Indeed one of the foremost lessons learned in wealthy families is the importance of making a living. It doesn't teach you to say no to the dollar. It teaches you the importance of financial acumen and planning.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Misleading. This is a fanbase that has seen the kidline ride the Oilers to a Stanley Cup in 90. Seen one of the youngest teams in the league hoist several cups in the 80's. Seen a rookie line under Gagner do great things and basically carry a club. Seen a young Hemsky do some amazing things.

I've always appreciated that a contending team should have prospects on it and particularly the contractual help of ELC contracts on it. In the dead puck era it seemed to help to have veteran laden teams and guys that would just shut it down and frankly shut speed down. But in current play speed and pace and having youth in lineup generally matters. The Oilers still had that last season. Perhaps significantly now without McLeod, Foegele who both played with pace, and potentially Holloway and Broberg. Thats a lot of team speed to lose. Its a lot of youth to lose as well.

A team who's youngest player is around 25 isn't a very age balanced line up. Finally considering this is NHL hockey where regular season and playoffs are attrition battles.
In 2 years, the Oilers will be a very young team with Jarventi, Savoie, Lavoie, O'Reilly, Wanner, Akey, Petrov, Rodrigue potentially becoming full timers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
LA likely would have ran him over too.

His spot would need to be upgraded come March and the trade deadline. But he should be able to mask that need a bit and stop vultures from circling, looking to extort the Oil in a trade for an upgrade.
Have people seen Stecher play a lot? He's a good example of a modest size D that uses his skills, movement, pace and first step to manouvre and avoid forecheck and move pucks quickly. he decisions pucks very well. Even against the Oilers he was effective in the limited games played and even added the offense. The player didn't come this far at his size without skillsets.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kane, Kulak, Ceci could all be shipped out by next summer. ~5M increase in salary cap. The only dead cap left is Campbell buyout. Savoie could be replacing Skinner. I don't see Broberg being an issue for Bouchard's extension.
Ceci comes off the books organically in a year. You'll find moving Kulak and Kane a daunting task. You'd have to move a young player like a Holloway or a Broberg with them as a sweetener.

Now that Holloway is making 2,29M he's worth nothing. You'd have to add a draft pick to just to move him. He now has negative value. Broberg makes 4,58M. You might have to sweeten the pot with a 2nd round pick and a prospect to move him.

The moral of the story is no one is doing the Oilers any favors... even if it seems logical in your head.
That’s why I clearly stated in that latter pairing for Stecher he’s properly placed. He has played there in Van and Az and has been fine. You clearly don’t play him high minutes or expect offense from him.
Why are you adding to this negative narrative built around Stecher. Are you so positive Broberg is going to be the better player over the life of their contracts?

Stecher makes 1,575M over the next two years, combined, while Broberg makes 9,162M over the next two years. I know the player I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.
I think I match both. We have a squeeze this year, but next year isn't really that bad. Here is my thought on next year based on Puck Pedia today:
  • Oilers Current Cap Hit: $95,225,541 (23-man roster of 13F, 8 D, 2G, that includes Holloway and Broberg)
  • Bonus Overage Adjustment: -$3,300,000 (Current overage of -$3,550,000 less potential of $250,000)
  • UFA's not resigned: -$9,300,000 (Perry, C. Brown, Ryan, Skinner, Ceci)
  • Dead Cap Relief: -$720,000
  • Draisaitl Add: $5,000,000
  • Bouchard Add: $5,500,000
  • Revised Cap Hit for 2025-26: $92,405,541 (18-man roster of 9F, 7D, 2G)
I would aim for a 22 man roster for 2025-26 of 13F, 7D, 2G.
  • Trade Kane: -$5,125,000
  • Add Savoie & Lavoie: $1,661,666
  • Sign 3 Depth Forwards @ $1M per: $3,000,000
  • Revised Cap Hit for 2025-26: $91,942,207
Depending on the rise in the cap ($92M - cap space of $57,793; $93M - cap space of $1,057,793). Even if you think Bouchard gets a larger jump (I have him at $9.4M AAV), you still have options available to you to manage your cap space (e.g., Replace J. Brown with cheaper option, Trade Kulak and bring in cheaper option).

The following season still is not horrible as you have other expiring contracts (Arvidsson + Henrique for $7M) and another increase in cap to offset potential raises for Holloway/Broberg and McDavid (worst case I see if a $3.5M increase bringing him to $16M AAV) and then you fill in the rest of the roster with what you need to at the time. It could also be the case you walk away or trade one or both of Holloway and Broberg if it doesn't work out giving you further flexibility.

There is obviously some hope here (Savoie and Lavoie or an equivalent can be found and fit in, etc.), but I don't think it is as bad as it seems today.

If you manage the current year with LTIR (Kane $5.125M), Send J. Brown to AHL for $1M, etc. it becomes easier in the following years.
It's a major mistake to match one. A Monumental mistake to match both. The second you match the offer sheets you have two players with negative value. Not that they are bad players it's that they are overpaid.

The NHL really f***ed the Oilers on this one. Can Bowman dig us out of this big f***ing hole now?

In 2 years, the Oilers will be a very young team with Jarventi, Savoie, Lavoie, O'Reilly, Wanner, Akey, Petrov, Rodrigue potentially becoming full timers
You and your magic f***ing beans. If all those players see the light of day on the Oilers roster they've gone full rebuild and you're inside the eye of the hurricane with everyone laughing at you because you're inside a decade of darkness and you don't even realize it.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

More youth would be nice, but it's tough to argue they're slower after replacing those guys other +skaters in Arvidsson and Skinner. The 4th line is looking sluggish with Lavoie and Perry on the wings, but the top 9 is as fast as it's ever been.

Stecher's also no slower than Broberg as a skater, and both are massive upgrades on Vinny.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
With McDavid and Draisaitl on 8 year deals, I don't think this will be the case. For the next 4-5 years they will pour everything into a couple cups and have a veteran laden lineup.

Reactions: oilers'72

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ceci comes off the books organically in a year. You'll find moving Kulak and Kane a daunting task. You'd have to move a young player like a Holloway or a Broberg with them as a sweetener.

Now that Holloway is making 2,29M he's worth nothing. You'd have to add a draft pick to just to move him. He now has negative value. Broberg makes 4,58M. You might have to sweeten the pot with a 2nd round pick and a prospect to move him.

The moral of the story is no one is doing the Oilers any favors... even if it seems logical in your head.

Why are you adding to this negative narrative built around Stecher. Are you so positive Broberg is going to be the better player over the life of their contracts?

Stecher makes 1,575M over the next two years, combined, while Broberg makes 9,162M over the next two years. I know the player I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

It's a major mistake to match one. A Monumental mistake to match both. The second you match the offer sheets you have two players with negative value. Not that they are bad players it's that they are overpaid.

The NHL really f***ed the Oilers on this one. Can Bowman dig us out of this big f***ing hole now?

You and your magic f***ing beans.
Everyone starts off as a magic bean

Kulak is tradeable without any sweeteners. There's already rumours of teams calling and asking for him and Ceci

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I'd like to give oilers a gold star for not leaking anything. Congratulations for this achievement, now leak something.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dazed and Confused

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't see the team being vert high on Broberg. They even chose Vinnie D to play instead.

There must be something about his game or person they don't like.

He is as good as gone.
They chose Vinny because he was big, good on the PK, and a natural RHD.

Never read anyone saying he was the best D either
Oh @Game 8 is convinced he'll be better than Ek by this point next year.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Everyone starts off as a magic bean

Kulak is tradeable without any sweeteners. There's already rumours of teams calling and asking for him and Ceci
Prove it. You can't.

Just like there is a trading partner for Ceci. For months now I've been hearing this. They didn't trade Ceci, and now we have people reasoning that we should make room for grossly inflated contracts via matching two offer sheets... players we should have had both locked up for under 3M.

It's a magical story brought to you by Seravalli, Elliotte and Fat Bob.

Reactions: Blueswin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
With McDavid and Draisaitl on 8 year deals, I don't think this will be the case. For the next 4-5 years they will pour everything into a couple cups and have a veteran laden lineup.
I don't know about that. The Oilers will need some good rookies on ELC to help supplement the team. Especially guys like Savoie and Akey will play a key role. Not everyone will be making big bucks.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Prove it. You can't.

Just like there is a trading partner for Ceci. For months now I've been hearing this. They didn't trade them and now we have people reasoning that we should match grossly overpaid players we should have both locked up for under 3M

It's a magical story brought to you by Seravalli, Elliotte and Fat Bob.
Did you take your daily dose of Speed today or something?

Just wait and you will get the Ceci and Kulak trade. Now or at the deadline without any sweeteners.

• Haha

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Appreciate the breakdown. I imagine you would find the Panthers were beating down almost everyone, so only guys with a little luck came out relatively unscathed. Would definitely agree this player can't be written off, but also, because we simply did not play him enough, that it is so hard to make a call one way or another.

It's super annoying that the blues are forcing us to gamble one way or the other. One where Bowman absolutely will need to make a trade some time in the season for a legit top 4 D that compliments Nurse. The other we lock in what could be a not good enough D group that we are kinda stuck with without multiple, likely much more costly, trades. First big challenge for Bowman, aside from Drai of course.
I don't need to imagine it though. NHLEdge had them tops in playoff ozone time at 93 percentile.

What I've asked people who claim luck, NHL Final level goaltending results, and other stuff is to benchmark the Broberg playoff data points against the d-corp of Tampa, Boston and Rangers who were previous cannon fodder to the playoff 93 percentile offensive zone buzz saw. Let's compare and draw conclusions from real data.

Regarding the information about Broberg, I've listed two years of situational usage that can inform about the player. Not included is his stellar AHL season in which he finally received stable ice-time, important situational play, and actual trust to play through mistakes. He killed it. And he leveraged the learning, confidence, and ability to jump into NHL Final 4 competition including keeping his head above water against Florida's high o-zone, physical, relentless forecheck style of play.

Now because of misreading the market, the Oilers have painted themselves into a corner with a margin call on their only 2 NHL ready, prime year young talent.

Hypothetically, I'd pose a question of which organization has a better read on identifying and building blueline talent. St. Louis has shown a pretty good record with their Cup defense built on size, skill and depth. Oilers have been spotty with having to go to market to build up a still largely average defense.

Reactions: Game 8

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

You and your magic f***ing beans. If all those players see the light of day on the Oilers roster they've gone full rebuild and you're inside the eye of the hurricane with everyone laughing at you because you're inside a decade of darkness and you don't even realize it.
Sorry, I don’t get your assertion. I’m not being negative. Rather, I’m being supportive of Stecher in the lineup as an option for the Oilers. Like all players it also means placing them in the proper spot for their skill set. What is “negative” about that?

Edit - I look forward to next Tuesday. Then we can get on to bitching about not what the Oilers didn’t do before the offer sheets were tendered but what they did as a result. I’m sure it will be a much more nuanced discussion. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad