Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Did you take your daily dose of Speed today or something?

Just wait and you will get the Ceci and Kulak trade. Now or at the deadline without any sweeteners.
I'd need some illicit chemicals to take me that far into the fanboy realm to believe that one.

Do the mechanical elves bother you much?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Disagree. The Oilers don't need an elite veteran checking line that had a magical playoff run on their third line. They need to integrate youth, size, speed and forecheck ability along with developing talent.

Janmark's toi average as an Oiler is 13:14 with past regular season 11:54. He's been one of my favourite unsung players since signed. However he likely slots 4W with ability to move up the lineup. His value shows up in grinding playoff hockey.

The Oilers lost speed with Foegele and McLeod (crazy to say youth but this is an old team) in their top nine. Holloway delivers that and with something those two didn't do, bring a hard ice game with a physical intensity. The issue know is his value financially on an over budgeted team that took their eye off their budget and got cooked for it.

I anticipate a rotation of Stetcher and Brown based on situational play/opposition. But that depends again on how or if Jackson/Bowman value Broberg for this team, short-term and long-term.
Seeing all the same things with this. I love Janmark but his regular season was underwhelming. His play as you noted is suited for playoff play and he rises to that consistently.

Agreed with some earlier comments that Holloway is a 3rd liner going forward and also works well with guys like Henrique. Henrique really stirred some better play out of his linemates in playoffs. He's a very accomplished player and underrated. Henrique was stirring that drink. Will be interesting to have him a full season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Have people seen Stecher play a lot? He's a good example of a modest size D that uses his skills, movement, pace and first step to manouvre and avoid forecheck and move pucks quickly. he decisions pucks very well. Even against the Oilers he was effective in the limited games played and even added the offense. The player didn't come this far at his size without skillsets.

Stecher's as good a skater you'll find on any NHL blueline, and has good on-ice awareness. I can't think of many instances of him getting run over at the NHL level.

But as we saw these past playoffs with Hughes, it doesn't matter how fast you are, at some point in a 7 game series teams are going to key in and find a way to tag you. Both Nashville and Edmonton succeeded in that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There might be one or two but the assertion that we will have a young lineup is wrong.
The core gets older, they are the veterans. Adding more youth and getting young legs will be key to keeping the window open. It won't be all those names I mentioned but it'll be more than 1 or 2

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
They are going to match Broberg. I dont get how so many posters in here say oillers wont. He was once a bluechip prospect remember?

How many years did it take Hedman to be good?

Reactions: Game 8

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd need some illicit chemicals to take me that far into the fanboy realm to believe that one.

Do the mechanical elves bother you much?
Anyone bothered to get into discussion with you would feel like they're taking some good stuff like Speed.

There's already rumours of teams asking for Kulak and Ceci. So whether you want to believe that, it's your right. Not forcing you. Just putting this out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
More youth would be nice, but it's tough to argue they're slower after replacing those guys other +skaters in Arvidsson and Skinner. The 4th line is looking sluggish with Lavoie and Perry on the wings, but the top 9 is as fast as it's ever been.

Stecher's also no slower than Broberg as a skater, and both are massive upgrades on Vinny.
Decent reply but just one rebuttal. Stecher has good first strides acceleration. Broberg has a fairly rare quality of D burn speed. His top speed looks to be more, and with all the acceleration Stecher has. In the speed category generally Stecher is not Broberg. I do like Stechers vision and puck movement and decisions. He's useful in a lineup. Cheap 3rd pairing option.

Reactions: ManByng

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They are going to match Broberg. I dont get how so many posters in here say oillers wont. He was once a bluechip prospect remember?

How many years did it take Hedman to be good?
Maybe not Hedman. But I can see Broberg becoming something similar to Klefbom. And yes Broberg could break out as soon as next season

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sorry, I don’t get your assertion. I’m not being negative. Rather, I’m being supportive of Stecher in the lineup as an option for the Oilers. Like all players it also means placing them in the proper spot for their skill set. What is “negative” about that?

Edit - I look forward to next Tuesday. Then we can get on to bitching about not what the Oilers didn’t do before the offer sheets were tendered but what they did as a result. I’m sure it will be a much more nuanced discussion. :)
I'm intrigued.
Seeing all the same things with this. I love Janmark but his regular season was underwhelming. His play as you noted is suited for playoff play and he rises to that consistently.

Agreed with some earlier comments that Holloway is a 3rd liner going forward and also works well with guys like Henrique. Henrique really stirred some better play out of his linemates in playoffs. He's a very accomplished player and underrated. Henrique was stirring that drink. Will be interesting to have him a full season.
Ryan McLeod is gone but not forgotten, I hear Tyson Barrie is on the free agent open market.

Holloway might not get qualified in two years, maybe we can pounce...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Stecher's as good a skater you'll find on any NHL blueline, and has good on-ice awareness. I can't think of many instances of him getting run over at the NHL level.

But as we saw these past playoffs with Hughes, it doesn't matter how fast you are, at some point in a 7 game series teams are going to key in and find a way to tag you. Both Nashville and Edmonton succeeded in that.
Another good comment. Hughes though (I despise him) is playing mostly topsix opponents. Fortunately we don't require Stecher to be doing that. Hughes also eats such big minutes that the exploit potential is magnified by sheer toi and through inevitable fatigue. Again problems Stecher won't face here.

Teams will be intent on hacking Hughes to bits as its how to get the tree to fall. Beat Hughes and you beat the Canucks. So its a different thing.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Unfortunate that it came to this, I want to see both players signed, however not signing Broberg will be a huge mistake talked about for years. He is just starting to come into his own, the way he played in the toughest games of the season was amazing. He very well could be our best defensemen by years end. $4 million will look like nothing.
He's going to be better than Bouchard and Ekholm by season's end? Good luck with that.

I still think we should match but this is massive hyperbole lol.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The core gets older, they are the veterans. Adding more youth and getting young legs will be key to keeping the window open. It won't be all those names I mentioned but it'll be more than 1 or 2
I suspect you are wrong, and that we will be like Washington, Pittsburgh, Vegas, chasing the window until it is shut in front of us.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yep. My real time comments on Broberg during the playoffs was that him coming in halfway through like that and with absolute calm and composure was amazing. Thanks for doing some digging on what the knowledgeable coach and player have to say about him and his contribution.

People will say things like short sample but its really all the Oilers ever afforded Broberg, and I think its obvious he can play. Specifically what impressed me was his on ice vision and reads, ability to read skate out, pass out, moved play quickly north, and showed even some PMD stuff. Of course his blazing and deceptive speed and efficient skating. This guy can cover miles with his skating.

But would be remiss of me not to cover longer ago concerns that Broberg seemed to avoid contact, was tentative, sometimes timid in play and would look rattled. But that was a younger Broberg that didn't yet have composure to play at this level. But I think Broberg has answered those questions. I think he will be a good D.

Finally Woodcrofts handling of Broberg and other prospects was horrific. Really he stymied the development of all our top prospects. Simply by not playing them, trusting them, or giving them considerable assignments.
Agree on much. I fundamentally believe a player is overwhelming responsible for their own development. However the Oilers have significantly bungled this player's development and others. Playing him six to eight minutes, have a good game and then go back to the press box.

It's important to look into context to sift through the fog of trying to evaluate this player and the circumstances surrounding his growth, development, and performance.

Personally I saw the tentative, prone to big hits concern different than most. For me it was a development growth challenge moving from a less physical European league play to North American physical, fast play on smaller ice surfaces. Growing the processor through experience but also the confidence required to slow down play (the latter I believe was worn down and crushed with shitty development). He's never going to be a heavy, physical defenseman. He's a gap, stick defender. Though we're also seeing his man strength arrive with better ability to play in battle areas net front and along the boards.

It's strange to me that a new criticism is Broberg jumping into Final Four Cup competition after a month of no hockey is suddenly luck; NHL Cup Final level goaltending puck stopping averages; and other forces. And mainly on his off shooting side that veteran Kulak demurred to do.

It's all about the fog of latent ability and projection. Personally I trust more St. Louis's ability to assess defensemen than Edmonton's. But the value of Broberg's deal for Edmonton is gone so we wait on how Jackson/Bowman view Broberg at this price tag. That's all that matters.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So is there any steam on this whole trading kulak and ceci to keep broberg and Holloway?
Because if that happens, I guess we will see the oilers sign one or two Dmen in free agency for cheap?
From Fat Bob and the steam is chicken mediterranean pizza gas coming from his ass. Do you smell what the Bob is cooking?

I'm joking, I don't know what pundit is providing the bullshit today in oilerland. I wonder if one day people will stop believing the stories?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Match Holloway and let the entitled baby walk and get the Brandon Davidson treatment whenever he plays the Oilers until the end of his career.
Let him go if you can find a way to make the team just as or even stronger, as a result of doing so.

It seldom works out to dump a contract or player simply out of spite (or any business decision for that matter). I will agree it does feel good at the time though. :)

Reactions: Ninety7

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Match Holloway and let the entitled baby walk and get the Brandon Davidson treatment whenever he plays the Oilers until the end of his career.
Sorry but he got mishandled by Woodcroft terribly. He's no entitled baby. You can thank and ask Woodcroft for why he made Broberg a #7 Dman for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad