Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Low key love that waivers idea with the Sharks.

Doubt the league would let us get away with it though, pretty clear attempt to circumvent the cannot trade for a year rule.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Low key love that waivers idea with the Sharks.

Doubt the league would let us get away with it though, pretty clear attempt to circumvent the cannot trade for a year rule.
This was my question and what I mentioned in my post. Seems to be circumvention, and also collusion. I think the NHL could look at either in intervening and likely would. In the Oilers instance anyway.

Has there been precedent of player matched and then waived ensuing season? Seems the discussion if had would include these details? On surface just seems like an idea that hasn't been researched at all.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, the bigger issue (double edged sword) for Stecher is he doesn't know when to back down.
He's a great example of don't look at the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. (sorry for linking those 3 idiots, but they cover the point well)

But this is what makes Stecher unreliable. It's not his on-ice play, it's the fact that at 5'10 and 185lb I have zero hope he'd last 82 games and/or 4 playoff rounds before breaking down and getting injured.
Guy's a baller. It's part of the reason he's carved out a solid career as a journeyman defenseman. He plays hard and can absorb minutes on poor teams. Pattern has been as those bad teams improve his ice-time reduces and he moves as a deadline depth d on playoffs teams and then repeats the cycle again.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Sorry wasn't labeling you on that. Only general comments made over the years on the board.

I credit Coffey for informing the d-change decision to Broberg. But this is a player who built the confidence in himself through the AHL demotion. In height of playoff competition, I highly doubt the Oilers coaching staff are actively working with Black Aces versus focused on the teams on-ice, their own and game planning to beat elite competition.

Ballsy call but Knoblauch and Coffey unlocked a high value performance from a player who did his work to earn it thousands of miles away from their field of view and focus. And I'm someone who loved the Coffey hire from announcement. Credit is Broberg's.

It's now about value and projection by Oilers braintrust. They've painted themselves into a corner financially and through very poor development of their primary, pedigree young assets.
Yup, that's pretty much it. Broberg and Hollywood were left to rot and their development was purposely thrown aside for geriatric vets, and now we are here.

And Broberg was doing this on his offside. How would you feel if you are finally given your shot but have to basically start your full-time nhl career on your off side, thus even throwing another wrench in your development and potentially future earnings. I don't blame him for being frustrated. Woody and Holland's hatred for youth brought us here.

These are our two top fwd and D prospects that got the shaft over the last 2 years and it's all our fault.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I wouldn't give Broberg the money, full stop. But when you consider the other stuff that is rumored, such as him not really wanting to be part of the team, as well as the impact on the locker room, I am 110% on board with waving bye bye.

McDrai are apparently about to leave millions on the table, and other vet players took cuts as well (RNH, Henrique as prime examples) and there is going to be some 23 year old kid who hasn't proved anything, and whined last year about his treatment that is gonna get paid $2-2.5 million more than he should be getting paid? That sets a pretty bad precedent in the locker room IMO.

Wish you the best Broberg, hope it works out for you, I really do, but I don't want you on the team anymore.
This has been mentioned many times in the thread but there is a huge difference between older players who are already earnings rich and younger players who are not.

Your claim that McDrai will just leave millions on the table is contention without citation. In anycase its speculative and nobody would know that.

The stuff on Broberg not wanting to be here we don't have all the details either and we don't know how much either that could be due to how badly the Oilers mismanaged the player. I don't put it just on Broberg if he doesn't want to be here. its a flag (another one) on how badly we deal with our prospects.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yes but there are levels. This sort of thing would be Kovalchuk contract with New Jersey levels of obvious.

Either way seems like a pretty unrealistic idea in the real world.
Stone going on the IR at the same time every year is crazy obvious is well. Same with the Leafs signing old glass Tanev until 2050.

I agree though it’s probably not realistic.

Reactions: oilers'72

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
So the Oilers can negotiate with the Blues to ask for additional compensation to provide Edmonton with additional incentive to not match the offer sheet? However, they can't negotiate with SJ to provide incentive for a match and waive option? That seems arbitrary, but I wouldn't be surprised if the league tries to apply the rules unevenly.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yup, that's pretty much it. Broberg and Hollywood were left to rot and their development was purposely thrown aside for geriatric vets, and now we are here.

And Broberg was doing this on his offside. How would you feel if you are finally given your shot but have to basically start your full-time nhl career on your off side, thus even throwing another wrench in your development and potentially future earnings. I don't blame him for being frustrated. Woody and Holland's hatred for youth brought us here.

These are our two top fwd and D prospects that got the shaft over the last 2 years and it's all our fault.
Agreed on your post. I wouldn't necessarily say hatred but circumstantially this has been a high chaos organization with extreme highs and lows that spun through 3 coaches since Broberg's draft day. Youth was not trusted to pull this team out of the muck with the pressure from all areas, ownership, management, fanbase, to become a legitimate playoff contender. Their badly neglected sub-average defense needed immediate upgrades with proven veterans Keith, Kulak, Ekholm filling up LD spots.

Woodrow the AHL development coach gave long leashes to kids but largely acted like a run-of-the mill veteran coach when his job was to win NHL games. Taking over from Tippett one of his first decisions was to send down Skinner despite the shaky goaltending of Smith/Koskinen. It's what NHL coaches tend to do in situations where winning and playoffs are expected and their teams aren't meeting those expectations.

Onboarding a mature phase organization is tough to do, especially for young defensemen, and especially within high chaos situations we've seen in yo yo Edmonton seasons. It's had an exceptionally high cost as this organization has walked itself into a fork on the road defining situation with its two NHL ready pedigree young players.

EDIT: Just to add, Woody's coaching 'genius' was found out as just as this team's talent did for him replacing Tippett, they normalized their on-ice results to expected levels, they did the same and more for Knoblauch and Coffey.

There's real danger in being forced to make decisions on especially Broberg in light of the fog of chaos surround this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't think thats the same thing unless a no trade list prohibits waiver entirely.

Nor is there the one year rule that applies specifically to matching offer sheets.
That’s not the point. It’s a team clearly circumventing a NTC through waivers.

The Oilers would be circumventing a no trade rule through waivers. It’s same same but different.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That’s not the point. It’s a team clearly circumventing a NTC through waivers.

The Oilers would be circumventing a no trade rule through waivers. It’s same same but different.
Unless I'm mistaken there is no clause that says you cannot waive a player with a NTC.

There is a specific clause that says a matched offersheet player CANNOT be traded at all for one year.

They are different things.

NHL wouldn't allow us to do this anyway so..

not sure either what makes the SJ thing so great. I'm not revenge motivated.

ps this lays out the rules pretty well

Agreed on your post. I wouldn't necessarily say hatred but circumstantially this has been a high chaos organization with extreme highs and lows that spun through 3 coaches since Broberg's draft day. Youth was not trusted to pull this team out of the muck with the pressure from all areas, ownership, management, fanbase, to become a legitimate playoff contender. Their badly neglected sub-average defense needed immediate upgrades with proven veterans Keith, Kulak, Ekholm filling up LD spots.

Woodrow the AHL development coach gave long leashes to kids but largely acted like a run-of-the mill veteran coach when his job was to win NHL games. Taking over from Tippett one of his first decisions was to send down Skinner despite the shaky goaltending of Smith/Koskinen. It's what NHL coaches tend to do in situations where winning and playoffs are expected and their teams aren't meeting those expectations.

Onboarding a mature phase organization is tough to do, especially for young defensemen, and especially within high chaos situations we've seen in yo yo Edmonton seasons. It's had an exceptionally high cost as this organization has walked itself into a fork on the road defining situation with its two NHL ready pedigree young players.

EDIT: Just to add, Woody's coaching 'genius' was found out as just as this team's talent did for him replacing Tippett, they normalized their on-ice results to expected levels, they did the same and more for Knoblauch and Coffey.

There's real danger in being forced to make decisions on especially Broberg in light of the fog of chaos surround this team.
Woodrow was a president. I know Woody tried to look all important and everything in suits but.....;)

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It sucks we’re on the wrong end of this one but I think overall rfa’s becoming open season actually benefits the Oilers.

I see an opportunity to poach good young players from lesser teams. Say you’ve got a team that doesn’t have a lot of high end talent and maybe as a result they’ve got a high pick who hasn’t quite established himself coming out of his elc and his team isn’t quite ready to open up their wallets for him yet. If he waits until July 1 and then Edmonton comes knocking and says “hey do you wanna come play with Mcdavid and Draisaitl?” And much like STL did structure the deal in a way that makes it most uncomfortable for his current team without having to give up much in pick value. That player signs the offer sheet and then tells his current team he doesn’t want to play for them. Edmonton is better positioned to get more out of the player for the inflated cap hit and no matter what they now control the asset.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Sorry wasn't labeling you on that. Only general comments made over the years on the board.

I credit Coffey for informing the d-change decision to Broberg. But this is a player who built the confidence in himself through the AHL demotion. In height of playoff competition, I highly doubt the Oilers coaching staff are actively working with Black Aces versus focused on the teams on-ice, their own and game planning to beat elite competition.

Ballsy call but Knoblauch and Coffey unlocked a high value performance from a player who did his work to earn it thousands of miles away from their field of view and focus. And I'm someone who loved the Coffey hire from announcement. Credit is Broberg's.

It's now about value and projection by Oilers braintrust. They've painted themselves into a corner financially and through very poor development of their primary, pedigree young assets.
No worries. Did not see it as labeling. I was just making myself clearer. Fair point its Broberg that is credited. Mentoring was there though under Coffey, and it wasn't under Manson.

Agreed, ballsy move by KK and Coffey inserting Broberg in playoffs. A lot of fans that thought it was a bad bad move. From first game Broberg showed he should be there.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway thinking he can get double the pay and also try and win the cup. It doesn't work that way kid. You're screwing the team over. We don't want you

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken there is no clause that says you cannot waive a player with a NTC.

There is a specific clause that says a matched offersheet player CANNOT be traded at all for one year.

They are different things.

NHL wouldn't allow us to do this anyway so..

not sure either what makes the SJ thing so great. I'm not revenge motivated.

ps this lays out the rules pretty well

Woodrow was a president. I know Woody tried to look all important and everything in suits but.....;)
Broberg would be getting waived, not traded

Reactions: McBooya42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad