Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

principal-skinner-delightfully-devilish.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I still can't see any reason to do this. What gain is there for the Oilers in this?

A pro team shouldn't be making decisions just on basis of revenge.

I don't get the primary gain here.
It's not about revenge. It's about getting a better deal on the side. You also don't look like a team that got caught with their pants down. We just showing the league you can't squeeze the Oilers

Reactions: foshizzle

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Guy's a baller. It's part of the reason he's carved out a solid career as a journeyman defenseman. He plays hard and can absorb minutes on poor teams. Pattern has been as those bad teams improve his ice-time reduces and he moves as a deadline depth d on playoffs teams and then repeats the cycle again.

Neither Detriot or Arizona improved after Stetcher left, and neither willingly reduced his minutes while there (but again. the dude gets injured a lot)

He's a guy that has constantly kept his head above water playing a top 4 role on bad teams while paired with the corpses of Marc Staal, Patrik Nemeth, and a waiver claim in Jusso Valimaki. As bad as Nurse was in the playoffs, he's yet to hit that level of rock bottom.

The Oil just need him to continue holding his own in that role (while surrounded by way better support), and do what he does best (puck retrievals and transition). He's still going to be the #6 in icetime despite playing with Nurse at evens, as I doubt he'll see much action on special teams.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I dont think either year is. THere no is way he lives up to 4.5 mil against the cap over the next 2 years. It really is a poison pill contract. Move on. There are no advantages to Broberg at 4.5 for 2 years.
Klef, Petry, Nurse all did well in their first full year of playing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
More youth would be nice, but it's tough to argue they're slower after replacing those guys other +skaters in Arvidsson and Skinner. The 4th line is looking sluggish with Lavoie and Perry on the wings, but the top 9 is as fast as it's ever been.

Stecher's also no slower than Broberg as a skater, and both are massive upgrades on Vinny.
Interesting. NHLEdge show different results:

Desharnais
Top Speed: 22.91 (82 percentile)
His burst speed is mainly in the 18-20 MPH range

Broberg
Top Speed: 22:50 (63 percentile)
His burst speed is mainly in the 18-20 MHL range

Stetcher
Top Speed: 21.53 (below 50 percentile)
His burst speed is mainly in the 18-20 MPH range

Maybe the smaller guy looks faster versus the bigger, long stride defenders.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Another way to keep Holloway even in a situation where you might have to reactive Kane prior to the trade deadline and have them both on the roster.

Match Holloway.

Acquire a 12th forward who is dirt cheap and double retained. Meaning acquire a 12th forward you think is alright, have him retained at 50% by one team, 50% by another team. Say his original salary is 1 mill ... you get him for 250k. This shouldn't cost a ton to get a little retention on a low paid player.

In this scenario you can run 12 forwards, 7 D for the rest of the season and be cap compliant (just barely though). It's just one of those things at least you have in your back pocket.

So I am leaning now towards keeping Holloway. It's 1 mill more than we wanted to pay him, but he does provide speed and youth and can potentially play some center in a pinch.

As for the waive Broberg idea, if San Jose is willing to give up a 2nd ... do it. f*** St. Louis.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, that's pretty much it. Broberg and Hollywood were left to rot and their development was purposely thrown aside for geriatric vets, and now we are here.

And Broberg was doing this on his offside. How would you feel if you are finally given your shot but have to basically start your full-time nhl career on your off side, thus even throwing another wrench in your development and potentially future earnings. I don't blame him for being frustrated. Woody and Holland's hatred for youth brought us here.

These are our two top fwd and D prospects that got the shaft over the last 2 years and it's all our fault.
That’s not remotely true at all.
Holloway got an absolutely ton of opportunity and either did nothing with it or didn’t look good doing it. Holloway played 89 NHL games in the last 2 seasons not including playoffs and was given opportunity with Draisaitl. Left to rot? Absolutely not even remotely true, he has more NHL games played than AHL games.

Broberg, has been given shots as well and had only 6 more AHL games played than NHL games. He has essentially been penciled into the lineup for 3 camps now and has failed to look like one of our best 6 every camp. He was outplayed by guys like Desharnais and Gleason coming into this season.

The thing with young players is when you are given opportunities to make the team, you have to actually show up and make it. You have to actually show you belong. But when you do little or nothing and are outplayed by old aging vets, of course a cup contending team will push you down, you aren’t contributing to success.

We have even done this recently. Yamamoto comes in due to injury and shows he belongs and the team keeps letting him play till the magic wears off. Holloway has never been close to Yamamoto.

With Broberg you can at least make the argument that he has been partially blocked by Kulak but you don’t think that if Broberg showed he was ready for that role the team would have traded Kulak for a positive asset and save cap in the meantime? Holland would have absolutely loved to do that, improve a role for less cap AND get a positive asset?

Maybe we can say they were slightly mishandled at worse but both guys doing little with their opportunities has far more to do with it.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It actually was in Bouchard's best interest to do so... now he knows he WILL get paid after this past season, given that this follows the same trajectory.
It wouldn’t be in Bouchard’s best interest. No where else does he get to play with McDavid and Draisaitl, get the chance to win the cup, and make pretty good money doing it. Highest cap it possible isn’t the end all be all- legacy and job happiness are a thing to. He will get paid well and have all those other things with it

• Haha
Reactions: Stauf4Prez

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm not opposed to trying the Broberg to San Jose thing if they sweeten the pot. even adding a 7th is better than nothing. That's just good business. After all that's what this is about and stated when players sign etc. It's just business.

Now the league could step in and block it for the "Spirit" of the rule thing. Fine.. then St. Louis gets him and who cares. Unless we're thinking the league will leverage punishment?

Can hardly fault a team for getting creative in improving asset acquisition.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yep. My real time comments on Broberg during the playoffs was that him coming in halfway through like that and with absolute calm and composure was amazing. Thanks for doing some digging on what the knowledgeable coach and player have to say about him and his contribution.

People will say things like short sample but its really all the Oilers ever afforded Broberg, and I think its obvious he can play. Specifically what impressed me was his on ice vision and reads, ability to read skate out, pass out, moved play quickly north, and showed even some PMD stuff. Of course his blazing and deceptive speed and efficient skating. This guy can cover miles with his skating.

But would be remiss of me not to cover longer ago concerns that Broberg seemed to avoid contact, was tentative, sometimes timid in play and would look rattled. But that was a younger Broberg that didn't yet have composure to play at this level. But I think Broberg has answered those questions. I think he will be a good D.

Finally Woodcrofts handling of Broberg and other prospects was horrific. Really he stymied the development of all our top prospects. Simply by not playing them, trusting them, or giving them considerable assignments.
Broberg got slaughtered in shots for/against and had the highest xGA than any other oilers d man. He got saved by great on ice goaltending with a save% of .941.

Matching and waiving both kids would be funny as f**k. Get the side deal from San Jose
Love this

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Broberg got slaughtered in shots for/against and had the highest xGA than any other oilers d man. He got saved by great on ice goaltending with a save% of .941.

You can’t trade a player for 1 year after signing offer sheets
We not trading him. We are waiving him. We can make a side deal involving other players and picks to make up the difference

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

You can’t trade a player for 1 year after signing offer sheets

Waiving isn't the same as trading a player.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
So when the news first came out I was pretty pissed. The Oilers definitely screwed up here but looked past that here’s what I’m thinking:

Broberg
-requested a trade last season (I can see his view that he wasn’t being developed properly)
- found a team to pay him a premium (can’t blame him
- if we match would he even be happy here? May take awhile…
-4.6 million is… just too much we have to let the guy walk…2nd round pick is horrendous return but our cap situation isn’t great
Replacement possibility:
Gustav lindstrom - hop over to the Anaheim board. They were happy with him, he’s not earth shattering or flashy but consistent and doesn’t make brain headed mistakes(granted I have not watched him this yea)

-Lindstrom could be had for cheap as he’s not signed and gives us another option work In/out of the top 6 with stetcher.

- we would still need to look for an opportunity on Ceci

Holloway
-At the start I was 100% match this guy. He was awesome in the playoffs, was another feel good story to go along with Brown.
-had to be convinced to sign the offersheet. Don’t blame him for signing for nearly double what he was being offered.
-Holloway really stepped it up by the end of the playoffs and looks to have a breakout year next year.
-skinner and Brown have a one year contract and will need to be replaced next year… as much as I thought our forwards were stacked holes are there
-Arvidsson, Kane and Henrique are done after 2 more seasons

forward depth:
Skinner/McDavid/Hyman
RNH/Drai/Arvidsson
TBD/Henrique/Brown
TBD/Perry/Ryan

LTIR - Kane
Prospects:
Top tier - Savoie and Jarv
Lower but may be ready:Lavoie
Wildcard: Petrov, Sam O’Reilly

I waffled at one point but I’m back in camp sign Holloway. He may be a little overpriced but it’s a huge risk to our window if he pans out. I think that’s worth an extra 800k this year. If he doesn’t work out as expected, it’ll be easier to throw a pick along to trade him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Neither Detriot or Arizona improved after Stetcher left, and neither willingly reduced his minutes while there (but again. the dude gets injured a lot)

He's a guy that has constantly kept his head above water playing a top 4 role on bad teams while paired with the corpses of Marc Staal, Patrik Nemeth, and a waiver claim in Jusso Valimaki. As bad as Nurse was in the playoffs, he's yet to hit that level of rock bottom.

The Oil just need him to continue holding his own in that role (while surrounded by way better support), and do what he does best (puck retrievals and transition). He's still going to be the #6 in icetime despite playing with Nurse at evens, as I doubt he'll see much action on special teams.
Detroit was at beginning phase of a deep rebuild. Arizona played with one money hand behind its back and now with financial resources moved to significantly upgrade their defense. Stecher was helpful, cheap depth that they spun off for deadline assets twice.

Vancouver went from a .500 level team with Stecher at 19:55 toi to 36 win team with ice-time cut to 15:21. He was moved out. The Canucks were a worst team the two years prior with first year being his NHL high icetime.

That's the pattern of this player. He's a game, feisty journeyman player with a niche as insurance for playoff level teams. It's not a knock. I have respect for a smaller, non point producing defenseman putting together a sustained NHL career. Just don't overvalue.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So when the news first came out I was pretty pissed. The Oilers definitely screwed up here but looked past that here’s what I’m thinking:

Broberg
-requested a trade last season (I can see his view that he wasn’t being developed properly)
- found a team to pay him a premium (can’t blame him
- if we match would he even be happy here? May take awhile…
-4.6 million is… just too much we have to let the guy walk…2nd round pick is horrendous return but our cap situation isn’t great
Replacement possibility:
Gustav lindstrom - hop over to the Anaheim board. They were happy with him, he’s not earth shattering or flashy but consistent and doesn’t make brain headed mistakes(granted I have not watched him this yea)

-Lindstrom could be had for cheap as he’s not signed and gives us another option work In/out of the top 6 with stetcher.

- we would still need to look for an opportunity on Ceci

Holloway
-At the start I was 100% match this guy. He was awesome in the playoffs, was another feel good story to go along with Brown.
-had to be convinced to sign the offersheet. Don’t blame him for signing for nearly double what he was being offered.
-Holloway really stepped it up by the end of the playoffs and looks to have a breakout year next year.
-skinner and Brown have a one year contract and will need to be replaced next year… as much as I thought our forwards were stacked holes are there
-Arvidsson, Kane and Henrique are done after 2 more seasons

forward depth:
Skinner/McDavid/Hyman
RNH/Drai/Arvidsson
TBD/Henrique/Brown
TBD/Perry/Ryan

LTIR - Kane
Prospects:
Top tier - Savoie and Jarv
Lower but may be ready:Lavoie
Wildcard: Petrov, Sam O’Reilly

I waffled at one point but I’m back in camp sign Holloway. He may be a little overpriced but it’s a huge risk to our window if he pans out. I think that’s worth an extra 800k this year. If he doesn’t work out as expected, it’ll be easier to throw a pick along to trade him.

Sign a utility forward that's 1 mill and get double retention and you can have a workable roster even with both Kane and Holloway on the team.

So yeah I would match on Holloway and in the worst case scenario (Kane comes back and you have no one else to LTIR at the time) just run a 12F + 7D roster with the "2x retained Cheap" forward on the roster. Sorry to Derek Ryan and Corey Perry, you waive Perry and Ryan when Kane returns and let the pieces fall where they may. Perry and Ryan can say they will retire if anyone else claims them, veteran players have done that before.

I match on Holloway but he better start growing into being able to play some center at the NHL level.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I still can't see any reason to do this. What gain is there for the Oilers in this?

A pro team shouldn't be making decisions just on basis of revenge.

I don't get the primary gain here.
St Louis there a grenade at the Oilers. Oilers manage it just fine. Deters future offer sheets and players from signing them

Does it say this on the CBA for offersheet? If not, there's a first for everything. They can close this loophole after we are done.
Nope, none.

A better deal on the side involving waiving a player would be collusion. Would it not?
Nope. Just doing what the league allows.

Low key love that waivers idea with the Sharks.

Doubt the league would let us get away with it though, pretty clear attempt to circumvent the cannot trade for a year rule.
It doesn’t though. You are allowed to place players on waivers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
San Jose would have to give a 2nd round pick or something equivalent otherwise it's probably not worth doing.

That 2nd from St. Louis can bring us back a good player at the deadline.

If they're willing to match the 2nd, do it.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
St. Louis will likely be trading their 1st or more to San Jose for Broberg haha

It's kind of a win win for San Jose and Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad