Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
For everyone saying that Emberson is a #7D, we don't know that for sure. I highly doubt that him being a former player under Knoblauch is a coincidence. Knob knows him better than anyone. Ceci was a weak link in the top 4 and overpaid for 3rd pairing duty. I also feel like a lot of people are sleeping on Josh Brown. He brings bite to our blueline and we signed him for 3 years. I doubt that was done for him to be in the minors.
I think this is a good point. How many times have the Oilers been burned by bringing in a player that the team is unfamiliar with? I won't bother going thru the list.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No matter what happens tomorrow, I can't understand why some people are calling these 2 players selfish? Who in their right mind would not take an almost 5 fold increase in salary? (wrt Broberg) especially when you have had serious injuries and don't know if you will even be in the league 2 years from now??
I agree.
Especially in Brobergs case where he seems to have a legitimate beef about how he was developed.
His sense was that he should have been given an NHL opportunity much sooner.
Based on his limited playoff performance (which is as high pressure as it gets) he did quite well on his off side so I am sure he feels justified in accepting this offer and a new opportunity.
Especially when you consider that he will be used on his natural side in St Louis.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Really beginning to believe Broberg and Holloway are gone.

You can't expect your star vets like McDavid Draisaitl to take team first deals when you overpay those two.

Take the accrued cap into the deadline and reap it.
Easy for McDavid and Drai to do it when they’ve made over 50 million in their lifetime already

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree.
Especially in Brobergs case where he seems to have a legitimate beef about how he was developed.
Based on his limited playoff performance (which is as high pressure as it gets) he did quite well so I am sure he feels justified in accepting this offer and a new opportunity.
Especially when you consider that he will be used on his natural side in St Louis.
If the Oilers match, I think they have to move Kulak out to keep him on his strong side.

He got slaughtered with playing the right side in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the Oilers match, I think they have to move Kulak out to keep him on his strong side.

He got slaughtered with playing the right side in the playoffs.
Slaughtered is a bit of an overstaement especially when you consider that some of the time he was playing with Mr $9.25M and all his poor decision making.
Not exactly ideal for a young player like Broberg who was also expected to play on his off side.

Think Nurse is bad now...just try playing him on his off side.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I agree.
Based on his limited playoff performance (which is as high pressure as it gets) he did quite well on his off side so I am sure he feels justified in accepting this offer and a new opportunity.
Wasn't Broberg called up a bunch of times but was a disappointment on each and every occasion? I only saw an NHL caliber defenseman in the Finals. He was a disappointment every time he came up otherwise. If he performed better, I think the team would have kept him up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wasn't Broberg called up a bunch of times but was a disappointment on each and every occasion? I only saw an NHL caliber defenseman in the Finals. He was a disappointment every time he came up otherwise.
IIRC they were consistently playing him on his off side which is a really bad idea for such a young Dman to try and adjust to the NHL.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wasn't Broberg called up a bunch of times but was a disappointment on each and every occasion? I only saw an NHL caliber defenseman in the Finals. He was a disappointment every time he came up otherwise. If he performed better, I think the team would have kept him up.
No, there was stretches of play where he was fine.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
No matter what happens tomorrow, I can't understand why some people are calling these 2 players selfish? Who in their right mind would not take an almost 5 fold increase in salary? (wrt Broberg) especially when you have had serious injuries and don't know if you will even be in the league 2 years from now??
If someone offered me 5 times my salary to work mostly in St Louis? nah I'm good, but I can understand a player who could be traded any moment anyways not having a problem with it. The issue is he's not worth anything close to it.

• Haha
Reactions: Reality Czech

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Slaughtered is a bit of an overstaement especially when you consider that some of the time he was playing with Mr $9.25M and all his poor decision making.
Not exactly ideal for a young player like Broberg who was also expected to play on his off side.

Think Nurse is bad now...just try playing him on his off side.
Half the time hes so far out of position, he is playing his off side.

I swear to god, the more I hear about Broberg the less I like him. kid needs to be handled with baby gloves, is this the hitch we want to tie our horse to?
Yeah, how dare the kid want to play hockey.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I swear to god, the more I hear about Broberg the less I like him. kid needs to be handled with baby gloves, is this the hitch we want to tie our horse to?
Playing a young dman on his natural side is not kid gloves.

It surprises me that posters think that playing on the wrong side is considered 'normal' development for a young D.
Look at it this way...as bad as Nurse is now just imagine him playing on his worng side.
Unmitigated impending disaster and Nurse is a vet player.

Reactions: aspin3

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He wan't called up a bunch of times. He was sent down at the beginning of the season when Skinner and Campbell couldn't stop a beach ball, during the 3-9-1 skid, and was never recalled until the end of the regular season. He even played in the AHL playoffs for Bakersfield.

Much to my chagrin.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It surprises me that posters think that playing on the wrong side is considered 'normal' development for a young D.
IIRC Broberg's biggest issue was sitting in the press box rather than being sent to the AHL to play.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Look at it this way...as bad as Nurse is now just imagine him playing on his worng side.
Unmitigated impending disaster and Nurse is a vet player.
Broberg has to show thats he's worth all this effort, and he hasn't, not over the last 3 years.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IIRC Broberg's biggest issue was sitting in the press box rather than being sent to the AHL to play.
Yes...that was a problem for sure.
Asking an AHL dman to adjust to the NHL while playing on his off side is a big ask though so when he got a chance it didnt play to his strengths.
I think the main reason why they played him on the Right side was because he was used there in Bakersfield and so it made sense to do that on the big team as well.

Last edited:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
He wan't called up a bunch of times. He was sent down at the beginning of the season when Skinner and Campbell couldn't stop a beach ball, during the 9-3-1 skid, and was never recalled until the end of the regular season. He even played in the AHL playoffs for Bakersfield.

Much to my chagrin.
Tell me how any of the D were playing before Nov. How was Bouch playing under Woodys new system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad