Value of: Oilers 2017 unprotected 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The premise is a bit flawed. The value of the 1st varies greatly, even if you expect the team to miss the playoffs with their current roster. A team isn't going to want to move a good asset to the Oilers and cross their fingers hoping the Oilers suck.

What makes it even worse is that the team making the trade would be actively hurting their return by sending a good asset to the Oilers. Any asset that improves the Oilers means the trade is better for the Oilers, and worse for themselves.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Huge pass. That might work on an Eastern conference team but not one that see's Edler in their division.

So lets swap that pick for Gostisbehere today

Not looking good for Carolina to improve at all then. No key acquisitions at all this summer and pretty much going into the season with the same crap as last year.

but please continue

last yrs team was in ploff contention until the last week of the season

we are not world beaters

but that is markedly better than w/e the **** you guys are :laugh:

#NotTryingToBeRude

#JustCallingItLikeItIs

#NHL

#StickPuck

#WeProbablyDontDeserveATeamRight

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
[/b]

last yrs team was in ploff contention until the last week of the season

we are not world beaters

but that is markedly better than w/e the **** you guys are :laugh:

Les feeders de bottom!

Not sure why this thread has turned into a CAR vs EDM bashing contest.

hopefully both teams break out and make the playoffs.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
The only way I'd trade and unprotected first is for Werenski plus or Trouba plus or a 1st plus from us for ekblad

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The premise is a bit flawed. The value of the 1st varies greatly, even if you expect the team to miss the playoffs with their current roster. A team isn't going to want to move a good asset to the Oilers and cross their fingers hoping the Oilers suck.

What makes it even worse is that the team making the trade would be actively hurting their return by sending a good asset to the Oilers. Any asset that improves the Oilers means the trade is better for the Oilers, and worse for themselves.

Teams have done it before, it's not a ridiculous notion that it wouldn't happen again. A GM could decide that he'll value the Oiler's 1st as a 10th OV and base it off of that. It wouldn't hurt much for a rebuilding team like Toronto or Arizona to take that gamble if they have an expendable player.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Teams have done it before, it's not a ridiculous notion that it wouldn't happen again. A GM could decide that he'll value the Oiler's 1st as a 10th OV and base it off of that. It wouldn't hurt much for a rebuilding team like Toronto or Arizona to take that gamble if they have an expendable player.

Teams move assets for 1st round picks. There is a difference.

Kolzilla

Sponsor
May 20, 2015
Actually, there is. The NHL places a roster freeze in effect from Christmas til New Yeasrs

Ah, right forgot about that. I was thinking more in terms of towards the end of season/after the trade deadline/off season.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
To Edmonton:
Mike Green

Oilers solve their 2nd pair RHD problem with a slightly overpaid Green(contract expires when 97 gets a McJillion per year)

To Detroit:
Oilers 2017 1st

Detroit solves their cap issues and adds a mid round 1st

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
To Edmonton:
Mike Green

Oilers solve their 2nd pair RHD problem with a slightly overpaid Green(contract expires when 97 gets a McJillion per year)

To Detroit:
Oilers 2017 1st

Detroit solves their cap issues and adds a mid round 1st

mike green was almost a ppg player as recently as last decade

edmonton adds tbh

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

Here lies my problem in the thinking. If we get a piece like a 4 offfensive d, i think it makes us a rounded d which would make the pick worth less

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There no deal to be had this early . If a team is trading the Oilers a good RHD they would have to think that pick is going to be in the 20s therefore they would want the Oilers to add . 10 years of sucking with 4 1st OA in the line up will make the Oilers management value that pick as somewhere around 10th to 15th OA if all things go right therefore they won't want to sell cheap on it until the players on the ice prove something .

Maybe a deal could be done closer to the trade deadline . The Oilers improve by 8 points last year and cut down GA by 38 with all kinds of injuries to key players . Problem with those injuries is we had no depth to really call anyone up that could be depended on . Chia has added a ton of depth since he has taken over just over a year ago . We are more able to handle injuries now than any time over the last 10 years . If we don't make the playoffs this year we are dam close to them . Cut down anther 30 goals GA and score an extra 20 and we make the playoffs . A healthy Klefbom and Larsson should cut down a lot of those . Lucic won't have the points Hall would but he will have the goals and McDavid will make up the difference then some . Eberle being heathy will probably add an extra 10 goals . So yeah if I am an GM of another team I don't make a trade for a decent PMD with out another big piece coming back with that first

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
The Oilers need to play the squad they have right now, see how it works out and what needs fixing. Right now you're just guessing based on what's on paper, but that is frequently very wrong.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The value is about that of 16th overall because if Edmonton were to cough up their first rounder a solid right handed d-man would have to be coming Edmonton's way and that pretty much makes Edmonton a shoe-in to make it into the playoffs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I d think 10th pick will return a decent 4-5th rhd. 10th+2nd will definitely return a 20min 4th RD.

Hall > 10th, so I m with NJ fans with that value :laugh:

So, you'd trade Dumba for a 10th( which could also be a 15th, or a 5th)? You'd be making EDM stronger, while MN old have to wait till about 2020 before they see any return( if any, 10th OA picks flame out all the time). EDM would then be in a better position to beat MN out of a playoff spot.

The trade to make this year was a Brodin/Scandella for Buff #1 this year, or for BOS #1 plus a Spooner.

No GM trades for a #1 that could be anywhere from a 5-15, unless there are other significant pieces involved, I.e. Dumba+ Haula for RNH+ EDM 1st.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The value is about that of 16th overall because if Edmonton were to cough up their first rounder a solid right handed d-man would have to be coming Edmonton's way and that pretty much makes Edmonton a shoe-in to make it into the playoffs.

And nobody is trading a top 4 RHD for a 16th, unless said player has age, contract, or injury issues.

I do agree with your point.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
What's the projected order for EDM's 1st?

Are they expecting to get out of the top 3 or is the club just a pile of hot trash again?

When is EDM expected to do something other than what they've been doing for the better part of a decade?

Depending on what the answer would be, I think that should be a gauge for what's coming back in the offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad