Value of: Oilers 2017 unprotected 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
There would be zero protection. Adding Shattenkirk makes the chances of that pick being very valuable slim. If the Oilers can't make the playoffs after adding Shattenkirk....then they just don't deserve anymore top picks lol. A 1st round pick this early in the year just isn't THAT valuable
Agreed. If they couldn't make the playoffs with -

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi/Versteeg
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian/Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Shattenkirk
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot

Then the new arena should be leveled and the team moved to Quebec city with new ownership/management

Actually the Blues should be asking for some sort of protection like an extra pick if he re-signs or if the pick is lower than 20

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Shattenkirk
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot

Then the new arena should be leveled and the team moved to Quebec city with new ownership/management

Actually the Blues should be asking for some sort of protection like an extra pick if he re-signs or if the pick is lower than 20
Honestly, the only interest in have would be Nudge, the 2017 just isn't appealing if it's not in the top 10 range. As we've discussed...that's not realistic

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I've heard this one too.

With basically changing the entire core of the team over the summer, this team will be different. It's impossible to say how different they will be in the standings, it wouldn't shock me if the new guys took time to adjust, and/or the existing guys took time to adjust to a very different system. The turnover this team has seen in the last 2 seasons is immense. In comes McDavid, Lucic, Larsson, Maroon, Kassian, possibly Versteeg. Reinhart, Nurse, Davidson and Klefbom all coming on for the blueline (Klefbom being at worst 2nd pair right now, Davidson a 4/5, and the others have shown progression). Talbot solidified himself as a legit #1 last year. The only major hole we have yet to fill is at #1 defenseman, but at least now we have some legit top 4 options unlike a few years ago, including a top 15-20 RHD and an emerging #2/3 LHD.

member 157595

Herein lies the rub. If Shattenkirk was signed long-term he'd probably stay a Blue and his value would likely exceed the value the Oilers 1st will have when it's actually used (by the Oilers or whomever they trade it to).

I don't disagree. If Shattenkirk were extended the Oilers would have given up a lot more than just a 1st round pick to get him.

Kolzilla

Sponsor
May 20, 2015
The entry draft takes place after the expansion draft. My guess is that if teams are moving players they are worried about losing to expansion they will likely be dealt at the trade deadline or possibly between the Cup finals and the expansion draft if there is a trade window.

Technically, there is never a time you can't trade players. It's just that after the trade deadline, any acquired player cannot play in the playoffs.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The pick is going to be Nolan Patrick so they shouldn't consider trading it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'd send Kevin Klein for that pick no questions asked. Not an offensive dman, but right handed and can take #4 minutes (plays alongside McDonagh for the most part the last 1.5 years)

Otherwise I'd put Oscar Lindberg in play

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Shattenkirk
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot

outside of a few pieces that literal exact team finished bottom 5

as good as mcdavid is

40 more games of him, exchanging hall for larsson, and a year of maroon and a hypothetical shattenkirk was not the reason edmonton missed the playoffs last year

member 157595

as good as mcdavid is

40 more games of him, exchanging hall for larsson, and a year of maroon and a hypothetical shattenkirk was not the reason edmonton missed the playoffs last year

I'm not an Oilers fan but some context is needed here.

In: 40+ more games of McDavid, 50+ more games of Klefbom, Milan Lucic, Adam Larsson
Out: Taylor Hall

That's a rather significant net positive if the players stay healthy. If you add Shattenkirk to that hypothetical lineup that's definitely a playoff team on paper IMO.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

as good as mcdavid is

The Oilers had a ridiculous amount of injuries last season to all their key players outside of Hall, Draisaitl and Sekera and it's swapping Hall out for Lucic+Larsson+Puljujarvi+full year of Maroon (had 14 points in 16 games with the Oilers last season)+not just about every key player being out with an injury for an extended period of time.
I'm not saying that the Oilers are a playoff team as they have a lot of question marks still but it's a vastly more improved, well balanced roster. If you add in Shattenkirk, playoffs become an expectation not a hope.

In any event, I'd rather deal the 1st for somebody like Orlov than 1 year of Shattenkirk.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
injuries//suspensions//missed time happen to every team in every sport

tom brady missed an entire season once and the new englands still went 11-5

the hurricanes won a cup w/ a rookie backup goalie once

the 2004 pistons won a title without a star player

etc etc

but pls continue

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

etc etc

but pls continue

McDavid, Klefbom, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Davidson (who was their best Dman at the time with Klefbom injured) all missed a significant amount of time. That's their top 2 centers, their best Dman, their top line RW, their 2nd line RW and LW and another of their top 4 Dmen. Not to mention their depth guys like Gryba, Hendricks etc.
Sorry but injuries like that don't happen to every team. It isn't the only reason why they finished 29th but it certainly was a big factor..... but pls continue.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

as good as mcdavid is

"A few pieces"...sure. Injuries caused us to horribly underachieve last year. Nearly all of our key players missed significant time. Take any team in the league and give them the injures we had (in both man games and significance), and they drop hard in the standings. Lets use Pittsburgh as an example, the champs. Give them Crosby for half a season, Letang for roughly 1/4 of a season, take out Kessel for about 1/4 of the games and Malkin for another 1/4 and what happens? I'm not saying our guys are all on that level, but 4 of our 5 most important players missed at least 1/4 of the year. Our two most important missed 1/2 and 3/4 respectively.

Give the Oilers even an average amount of injuries last year and we aren't 29th overall. Plus, we have improved in all of the areas that needed the most improvement - size, toughness, defensively, probably our powerplay (Hall is great, but bad on the powerplay, Lucic will be better there). Our young guys (McDavid, Nurse, Davidson) might regress, but improving is far more likely.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Yes, outside of a new top three D, a top line winger who plays a power game opposed to a perimeter one, and one of the most talented players in the Draft... yeah, otherwise, it's totally the same team.

as good as mcdavid is

What was it then? Let me guess, are you going to post another ten-year-old picture of Brind'Amour with the Cup? That seems to be the only means of debate you possess.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

etc etc

but pls continue

I remember when you guys won with your rookie goalie... after our starter and MVP got injured too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad