Value of: Oilers 2017 unprotected 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
McDavid, Klefbom, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Davidson (who was their best Dman at the time with Klefbom injured) all missed a significant amount of time. That's their top 2 centers, their best Dman, their top line RW, their 2nd line RW and LW and another of their top 4 Dmen. Not to mention their depth guys like Gryba, Hendricks etc.
Sorry but injuries like that don't happen to every team. It isn't the only reason why they finished 29th but it certainly was a big factor..... but pls continue.

blaming injuries is pretty lame. the oilers have been terrible for a decade. they just arent there yet and the D is still not close to playoff calibre.

add a guy like Shattenkirk? yes, they would likely be a playoff team assuming its no draisaitl going the other way. but they wouldnt be expected to be a playoff team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
"A few pieces"...sure. Injuries caused us to horribly underachieve last year. Nearly all of our key players missed significant time. Take any team in the league and give them the injures we had (in both man games and significance), and they drop hard in the standings. Lets use Pittsburgh as an example, the champs. Give them Crosby for half a season, Letang for roughly 1/4 of a season, take out Kessel for about 1/4 of the games and Malkin for another 1/4 and what happens? I'm not saying our guys are all on that level, but 4 of our 5 most important players missed at least 1/4 of the year. Our two most important missed 1/2 and 3/4 respectively.

Give the Oilers even an average amount of injuries last year and we aren't 29th overall. Plus, we have improved in all of the areas that needed the most improvement - size, toughness, defensively, probably our powerplay (Hall is great, but bad on the powerplay, Lucic will be better there). Our young guys (McDavid, Nurse, Davidson) might regress, but improving is far more likely.

Malkin did miss that time. you think 45 less games of Crosby and 20 less games of letang makes the pens go from 100+ points to 80?:shakehead

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
I would do that. Adding Shattenkirk would make the Oilers a legit playoff contender and thats the price a team would pay for him at the deadline anyways. If he does help this team make the playoffs and skips town then so be it. The experience and boost in confidence by making the playoffs for all the kids would be worth it

Yup I'd be all over that. Plus if you miss again just flip him at the deadline for another 1st

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
injuries//suspensions//missed time happen to every team in every sport

tom brady missed an entire season once and the new englands still went 11-5

the hurricanes won a cup w/ a rookie backup goalie once

the 2004 pistons won a title without a star player

etc etc

but pls continue

Take a look also at Edmonton added depth . Cagguila , Russell , Benning , Versteeg may be , Puljujarvi . That is 3 Rw and 1 RHD and Cagguila can play any forward position .

Last year RW depths was Eberle , Yakupov and Kassian

This year

Eberle
Yakupov
Puljujarvi
Versteeg
Russell

Now most are unproven at the NHL level but if you don't see the difference in depth I am not sure what to say . If there are injuries we have option .

I know every team has injuries but when you have no depth to come and help you are ****ed .

I also only listed about 1/2 the depth we added . Another thing about depth players don't get handed a job they now have to earn it . If Mac ****ing T was still here Puljujarvi would already be pencil into the line up . Plus last year team had no fight in it , no push back when teams got physical outside of Nurse who wasn't ready for NHL duties . This year .

Lucic
Maroon
Nurse if he shows improvement other wise the AHL

The physical play of these players will open up space for the skilled guys . Sometimes it not even the impact of the added player it just knowing someone has your back will make others play like the are 10 feet tall .

Of course we could see the same old team but I really don't think so

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Assuming Oilers are 1/2 and leafs are top5-10.

Gards + 1st for Oilers 1st.

Sweeteners are available from toronto depending on the difference in draft slot.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

Sweeteners are available from toronto depending on the difference in draft slot.

Gardiner's a good player on a good contract, but Edmonton has Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart, etc. on the left hand side.

They need a right shooting, puck moving, ideally 2nd pairing defender.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

If we end up with the 1st or 2nd (god, I hope not), I would have absolutely no interest in Gardiner what so ever.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'd offer Edler for the 1st+Davidson

Gives the Oilers a legit top 4;

Edler-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Huge pass. That might work on an Eastern conference team but not one that see's Edler in their division.

The pick is going to be Nolan Patrick so they shouldn't consider trading it.
So lets swap that pick for Gostisbehere today

injuries//suspensions//missed time happen to every team in every sport

tom brady missed an entire season once and the new englands still went 11-5

the hurricanes won a cup w/ a rookie backup goalie once

the 2004 pistons won a title without a star player

etc etc

but pls continue
Not looking good for Carolina to improve at all then. No key acquisitions at all this summer and pretty much going into the season with the same crap as last year.

but please continue

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
EDM makes the playoffs this year, quote me on it. This pick will probably be in the 21-24 range, unless the oilers win the cup.

Every year this comes up but the season always goes the other way , either b/c injuries (but injuries happen to all teams) or the team is just bad (core of it because the role players are the ones that get moved out but this year they did trade Hall away and bring in Lucic but then again its only one player of the old out) , so dont be too sure just yet

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Gardiner's a good player on a good contract, but Edmonton has Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart, etc. on the left hand side.

They need a right shooting, puck moving, ideally 2nd pairing defender.

I think gardener would fit the age, style, contract, etc.

His only issue his his handed ness and I think you could adjust around that by either playing him on his off wing, or by trading things around.

I think if the leafs ended up at 5 and Edmonton was at 1/2, I think a deal around gardener+1st+more would be worth it for both sides.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

His only issue his his handed ness and I think you could adjust around that by either playing him on his off wing, or by trading things around.

I think if the leafs ended up at 5 and Edmonton was at 1/2, I think a deal around gardener+1st+more would be worth it for both sides.

Like this season, Edmonton would take the BPA, and be happy doing so. They're not filling a hole with Gardiner, and the difference between 1/2 and 5 is too much to not fill a hole.

Right handed, offensive defender, on a cheap contract? I could see Edmonton doing a deal.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
With basically changing the entire core of the team over the summer, this team will be different. It's impossible to say how different they will be in the standings, it wouldn't shock me if the new guys took time to adjust, and/or the existing guys took time to adjust to a very different system. The turnover this team has seen in the last 2 seasons is immense. In comes McDavid, Lucic, Larsson, Maroon, Kassian, possibly Versteeg. Reinhart, Nurse, Davidson and Klefbom all coming on for the blueline (Klefbom being at worst 2nd pair right now, Davidson a 4/5, and the others have shown progression). Talbot solidified himself as a legit #1 last year. The only major hole we have yet to fill is at #1 defenseman, but at least now we have some legit top 4 options unlike a few years ago, including a top 15-20 RHD and an emerging #2/3 LHD.

I dont see that , Eberle , Nugent-Hopkins,Yakupov, Draisaitl, Mcdavid,

the only player traded from the old core is Hall

Still the same core IMO

Im not ******** on the Oilers just saying the team is mostly same one from last year, And I know some will say they will have a healthy Mcdavid but injuries happen to all teams its not just the oilers

If you had a goalie like Carey Price(barring he'd stay healthy) then you could get into playoffs and As he steals games for MTL

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Like this season, Edmonton would take the BPA, and be happy doing so. They're not filling a hole with Gardiner, and the difference between 1/2 and 5 is too much to not fill a hole.

Right handed, offensive defender, on a cheap contract? I could see Edmonton doing a deal.

And How much did the last one cost the oilers , Not easy finding them let alone getting a team to trade one away

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I dont see that , Eberle , Nugent-Hopkins,Yakupov, Draisaitl, Mcdavid,

the only player traded from the old core is Hall

Still the same core IMO

Im not ******** on the Oilers just saying the team is mostly same one from last year, And I know some will say they will have a healthy Mcdavid but injuries happen to all teams its not just the oilers

If you had a goalie like Carey Price(barring he'd stay healthy) then you could get into playoffs and As he steals games for MTL

"Injuries happen to all teams" and having the biggest impact from injuries are different things. Open your eyes and check https://www.mangameslost.com/category/nhl/, and you should be able to see. Even without checking, it should be obvious considering the best defenseman (Klefbom) and arguably the 2nd best defenseman (Davidson) were both injured, not to mention the #1 and #2 Centers (RNH and McDavid), AND the #1RW (Eberle). If you want to take it further, you can also include Pouliot and Yakupov.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
And How much did the last one cost the oilers , Not easy finding them let alone getting a team to trade one away

I think that this was a one time thing.

Edmonton needed a 1st pairing right shooting defender, and the cost of getting one was Hall. They likely knew where Lucic was signing, and you can't have two $6m left wingers. Edmonton picks up Larsson and his great contract, and moves Hall.

At this point and time, Edmonton would like a 2nd pairing, puck moving, defender. They have a great deal of young assets, picks, and cap room. With their obvious needs, I can see them overpay again to fill the hole. That said, instead of a 1st pairing defender on a great contract, they're likely looking for a 2nd or 3rd pairing defender on a short term contract.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
So does anyone other then the Toronto fan want to state what they would trade for it? Don't say number 4 dman, pick someone off ur roster you'd trade for it, 1st + something

From our roster, MDZ plus our 2nd would probably be the best we could offer. Maybe MDZ plus Laughton/Cousins but neither offer is probably that enticing to you.

We just don't really have the parts you are looking for (or at least they aren't available)

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Honestly, I'd say for you to add to the 1st and target someone like Trouba. It might work well for both teams

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Technically, there is never a time you can't trade players. It's just that after the trade deadline, any acquired player cannot play in the playoffs.

Actually, there is. The NHL places a roster freeze in effect from Christmas til New Years

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Because teams regularly trade Top 2 picks so the players they acquire can play positions they've never played regularly or so they can make more trades. You can bet that if Edm does trade that pick, it will be for a player and the player will be a much better fit than Gardiner.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Malkin did miss that time. you think 45 less games of Crosby and 20 less games of letang makes the pens go from 100+ points to 80?:shakehead

Try 45 less games of both Crosby and Letang and 20 less games of Kessel. And yes, missing most of their core for that length of time would cripple them.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Oilbois should make a new thread:

"Oilers unprotected 1st for your best RHD offer"

Then see what is available. This method worked to create the very plausible Lazar - Rieder trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilbois should make a new thread:

"Oilers unprotected 1st for your best RHD offer"

Then see what is available. This method worked to create the very plausible Lazar - Rieder trade.

Oilbois? Okay.

We have made that thread. Weren't offered much. Nobody on HF wants to move a RD. Even NJ fans weren't open to trading Larsson. :laugh:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Oilbois? Okay.

We have made that thread. Weren't offered much. Nobody on HF wants to move a RD. Even NJ fans weren't open to trading Larsson. :laugh:

I d think 10th pick will return a decent 4-5th rhd. 10th+2nd will definitely return a 20min 4th RD.

Hall > 10th, so I m with NJ fans with that value :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad