Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That you Jarmo ?
Look at Chinakhov's stats and play this season also he can play very good in PK. Only problems wit his new contract or a player like Tkachuk can apologize his trade. Similar Marchenko who is a more versatile player than Nečas.

Reactions: cslebn

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
We do still need a 1C/2C for the foreseeable future as well as D help. I think in both cases this should be veterans that have been proven winners. Now naming FA or trades for these positions, that is murky right now.

The problem is you don't want to sign long-term a veteran 1/2C Type of player and stand in the way of Fantilli, but you do need some to help get JG back to his career numbers. As for the veteran D help - definitely someone with bite and defensive defensemen. The only person that quickly comes to mind is Chris Tanev but I doubt he would sign with us.

I also think that David Jiricek, KJ, Denton Mateychuk - should be in the AHL next season.

All this talk about Necas is that it is a big gamble that he would pop as a center, which he stated he would like to play. Having to revert him back to wing if the center experiment doesn't work might be problematic. The only way this trade makes sense if we can get him without giving away the farm and we are sure he can play 2C.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
All this talk about Necas is that it is a big gamble that he would pop as a center, which he stated he would like to play. Having to revert him back to wing if the center experiment doesn't work might be problematic. The only way this trade makes sense if we can get him without giving away the farm and we are sure he can play 2C.
I concur, and I also strongly believe that neither of those prerequisites can be reasonably expected at all.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We do still need a 1C/2C for the foreseeable future as well as D help. I think in both cases this should be veterans that have been proven winners. Now naming FA or trades for these positions, that is murky right now.

The problem is you don't want to sign long-term a veteran 1/2C Type of player and stand in the way of Fantilli, but you do need some to help get JG back to his career numbers. As for the veteran D help - definitely someone with bite and defensive defensemen. The only person that quickly comes to mind is Chris Tanev but I doubt he would sign with us.

I also think that David Jiricek, KJ, Denton Mateychuk - should be in the AHL next season.

I think Johnson can't play in the AHL anymore. If yes, he is RFA I doubt he would agree to sign a new contract if Waddell wants to send him there.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Another way to look at the whole Necas/Kotkaniemi thing is they think more highly of Kotkaniemi as a center than Necas...

Apart from playing with good D-men, I don't think Canes is actually a good team at all to put up big numbers. Especially for someone like Necas, to me he looks like a player who could be great on the rush.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Johnson can't play in the AHL anymore. If yes, he is RFA I doubt he would agree to sign a new contract if Waddell wants to send him there.
According to CapFriendly KJ is waiver exempt. Unless he blows up in training camp I'd start him in Cleveland.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Another way to look at the whole Necas/Kotkaniemi thing is they think more highly of Kotkaniemi as a center than Necas...

Apart from playing with good D-men, I don't think Canes is actually a good team at all to put up big numbers. Especially for someone like Necas, to me he looks like a player who could be great on the rush.
This team is currently built as a rush team and we lack in the cycle game. We see this issue when we play teams that are puck control teams and actual offensive zone time. One shot and then back the other way. This also has a negative effect on defensive zone time and GA.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
What can Waddell get for some of the younger guys he might move to improve the roster?
Guys like Bean, Boqvist, maybe Texier? will he look to trade Laine? I assume if Waddell can find a taker, he'll move Elvis.

What kind of returns can he get for these guys. I know there is talk about getting a top 6 C, but what will he need to give up

Can he improve the team this way?
Would the Jackets be better off getting some glue type guys through free agency and the trade market, then work on drafting and development as the way to get the top line skill guys?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What can Waddell get for some of the younger guys he might move to improve the roster?
Guys like Bean, Boqvist, maybe Texier? will he look to trade Laine? I assume if Waddell can find a taker, he'll move Elvis.

What kind of returns can he get for these guys. I know there is talk about getting a top 6 C, but what will he need to give up

Can he improve the team this way?
Would the Jackets be better off getting some glue type guys through free agency and the trade market, then work on drafting and development as the way to get the top line skill guys?
I think this is probably the best, quickest way. I am not saying I'm in favor of moving any particular one of them, but I'd add Johnson, Chinakov, Marchenko, probably a couple other guys to your list, too. If he can find a team that is looking to manage its cap and/or get younger and/or shift its dynamic, I want him to do it. (A statement that will almost assuredly come back to haunt me, and not because a guy will go somewhere and blossom but because it will be a guy I really like...)

Speaking of guys going elsewhere and blossoming, that can't be a thing for Waddell. It has to be about the acquisition. As I posted somewhere else, you can't cry over every spilled milk.

This precise thing is what I've been talking about since they relieved Jarmo. We've spent a few years in asset acquisition mode, It's time to decide which assets are needed here and which are needed to be used to acquire different assets that will help construct the team/roster.

There will be those who think that's moving too fast, who want Waddell (or think he will) to take the year and make those determinations. I'm ready to move on that stuff now, at least to some degree. This is not me saying "win now!" This is me saying it's time to start tackling roster construction.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Waddell has got to decide which of the finesse players he's going to keep. You can't have a team full of KJs and Marchenkos and Chinakovs and win in the NHL. While each of these players has demonstrated performances that suggest that they'll be really good NHL players, they've also shown-at times-that they're nothing special. It's not limited to these 3 either. Soft, finesse players don't get it done at crunch time in most cases. See Marner and Panarin.

If Waddell is going to attempt to improve the team dramatically through trades, the he'll have no choice but to dangle almost every one of the under 25s. Fantilli, of course, can't be moved. If what many of you on this board think of Mateychuk is true, then he can't either. Everyone else is fair game.

Elvis, Severson, Gaudreau-in addition to having NTC (or modified NTC) aren't going to bring much in the trade market even if they did waive. It's the younger players who have the value. It's up to the new GM to make the right decisions on who he shops and who he keeps.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Waddell has got to decide which of the finesse players he's going to keep. You can't have a team full of KJs and Marchenkos and Chinakovs and win in the NHL. While each of these players has demonstrated performances that suggest that they'll be really good NHL players, they've also shown-at times-that they're nothing special. It's not limited to these 3 either. Soft, finesse players don't get it done at crunch time in most cases. See Marner and Panarin.

If Waddell is going to attempt to improve the team dramatically through trades, the he'll have no choice but to dangle almost every one of the under 25s. Fantilli, of course, can't be moved. If what many of you on this board think of Mateychuk is true, then he can't either. Everyone else is fair game.

Elvis, Severson, Gaudreau-in addition to having NTC (or modified NTC) aren't going to bring much in the trade market even if they did waive. It's the younger players who have the value. It's up to the new GM to make the right decisions on who he shops and who he keeps.
Marchenko and Chinakov already bring more than just finesse. For your reason though, is why I think KJ is our best trade piece. It’s also why Lindstrom is the most likely forward we draft, if we do take a forward IMO.

Fantilli/Lindstrom/Voronkov down the middle could be a great center lineup for the playoffs if they all hit what they’re capable of. It also would likely push Sillinger to wing, which would also help with this finesse winger issue you refer to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like it'd cost us KJ. Probably my biases talking but I wouldnt like that.

I really wanna see it through with KJ. Even if he busts, he'll still do it while scoring michigan goals. That's how I like it

Carolina is struggling to break through in the playoffs. I think they're going to be thinking about who can help them win in their next playoff battle. That's not KJ. Maybe they'll get creative and work out a three way deal though.

I think a team that is going to be thinking a little more long term and has a high end piece available is Winnipeg, with Ehlers. They might want to do a trade with us for KJ.

Carolina I think would be interested in our Russians, and that's kind of a dealbreaker for me, at least for Necas, who actually is more of a soft and no-defense player than they are.

Marchenko and Chinakhov are big and strong players. I wouldn't say they play with a lot of edge but that might be more to do with the training and coaching they've had up to this point. I think they're capable of being hard to play against big forwards.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Marchenko and Chinakhov are big and strong players. I wouldn't say they play with a lot of edge but that might be more to do with the training and coaching they've had up to this point. I think they're capable of being hard to play against big forwards.
I agree that these two-along with Voronkov-need to play with more of an edge. A more physical Russian Line which grows in their offensive production would be a kick a$$ second line to throw out there every game. In their current form, they primarily provide value with their offensive production. If they play a rougher game (and improve their forecheck), they'll add value even when their offense isn't there.

They're not alone on this. When the CBJ were having their best years, they had guys like Foligno and Dubinski and Hartnell and Calvert and others who were a pain in the a$$ to play against. The current group-save for bottom liners like Olivier and Danforth-play way too soft.

Some of it's on the players. Some of it's on the coaches. The CBJ struck fear into no one last season. It's not 1980-I get that. But it's still a physical game and a vital component to success.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I did an armchair GM for 2027 to try and think through some of the ideas we've talked about here.

In this scenario:

- we draft Cayden Lindstrom
- the only other new prospects I have making our starting lineup, beyond Mateychuk and Jiricek, are Brindley and Ivanov. You could switch those with other prospects but it seems like a reasonable percentage of guys making it.
- KJ is traded for Ehlers.
- Sillinger and a pick are traded for Weegar, who becomes available as Calgary's rebuild drags on.
- We sign Dillon and he's still around on the tail end of his deal. Gudbranson is extended on a cheap deal to be a spare.

Ehlers - Fantilli - Brindley
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Gaudreau - Jenner/Lindstrom
Texier - Danforth - Olivier
Malatesta

Werenski - Weegar
Mateychuk - Jiricek
Dillon - Severson
Gudbranson

Greaves
Ivanov
Tarasov

- I like this defensive group a lot for the backend offense they will generate. I think Jiricek is growing more in the mold of Evan Bouchard, and unfortunately not going to help defensively, but he'll score a lot and lead our PP. They will be able to form a strong shutdown pairing when needed though, something we can't do now. I like Dillon and Weegar for that.

- I think there's a lot of jam here for playoff battles. I think we can get more out of our Russians on that front.

- Lindstrom here doesn't presume he's an 82 game player. But I think he's going to be a huge asset in playoff battles.

- Up front it looks somewhat similar to the Dallas Stars where you could have a different "topline" out of any of the top 9 forwards on a given night. Good age mix.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
This team is currently built as a rush team and we lack in the cycle game. We see this issue when we play teams that are puck control teams and actual offensive zone time. One shot and then back the other way. This also has a negative effect on defensive zone time and GA.

Exactly, but Necas wants out of Carolina and I don't think his strengths are in that game. I could go as far as say it might part of the reason he wants out of there, but that's just me speculating :) So adding Necas wouldn't necessarily be an improvement in that respect.

To me the Canes have the opposite problem. The Jackets often try to force a play that just isn't there, as much as I like Laine I think he's a prime example of this - while it sometimes leads to spectacular goals, those are pretty rare and most times it's just giving away possession. But the other problem with the Jackets is even if they choose to dump it in, they are just not aggressive enough to put pressure to get control, so they lose the puck either way... Canes OTOH practically never try to force a play, but they also seem to pass up good opportunities to go for a fast counter and just dump it it - unless on the PK, then they actually go quite aggressive for counters if there's a chance.

I think the amount of hard work is starting to wear on some of their players, especially the ones who see those fast plays developing and whose insticts would be to go for that play.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I did an armchair GM for 2027 to try and think through some of the ideas we've talked about here.

In this scenario:

- we draft Cayden Lindstrom
- the only other new prospects I have making our starting lineup, beyond Mateychuk and Jiricek, are Brindley and Ivanov. You could switch those with other prospects but it seems like a reasonable percentage of guys making it.
- KJ is traded for Ehlers.
- Sillinger and a pick are traded for Weegar, who becomes available as Calgary's rebuild drags on.
- We sign Dillon and he's still around on the tail end of his deal. Gudbranson is extended on a cheap deal to be a spare.

Ehlers - Fantilli - Brindley
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Gaudreau - Jenner/Lindstrom
Texier - Danforth - Olivier
Malatesta

Werenski - Weegar
Mateychuk - Jiricek
Dillon - Severson
Gudbranson

Greaves
Ivanov
Tarasov

- I like this defensive group a lot for the backend offense they will generate. I think Jiricek is growing more in the mold of Evan Bouchard, and unfortunately not going to help defensively, but he'll score a lot and lead our PP. They will be able to form a strong shutdown pairing when needed though, something we can't do now. I like Dillon and Weegar for that.

- I think there's a lot of jam here for playoff battles. I think we can get more out of our Russians on that front.

- Lindstrom here doesn't presume he's an 82 game player. But I think he's going to be a huge asset in playoff battles.

- Up front it looks somewhat similar to the Dallas Stars where you could have a different "topline" out of any of the top 9 forwards on a given night. Good age mix.

If I were to make a lineup for next season, it might look something like this:

1a/. Sillinger (21) - Jenner (31) - Laine (26) > this line is strong, hard, btw Patrik plays his best hockey with similar players
1b/. Gaudreau (31) - Voronkov (24) - Marchenko (24) > Marchie and Voron have excellent chemistry, also have played good with Johnny, they are strong, can made free space for him
1c/. Luostarinen (26) - Fantilli (20) - Chinakhov (23) > speed and hard line
4. Texier (25) - Danforth (31) - Olivier (27) > I think this line does not need any comment

Werenski (27), Boqvist (24)
Provorov (27), Gudbranson (33)
xxx (XX), Severson (30)

Tarasov (25)
Greaves (24)

The first three lines would be equal, they would have equal time in 5v5, which would keep the pace high. Also every should minimum one strong, hard player, simply a power forward.

Plus we might resign Marchenko, Chinakhov and Sillinger, later Fantilli and Voronkov because Eetu has good salary, $3.000.000.

PP (again, equal time):

Voronkov
Gaudreau - Marchenko - Chinakhov
Werenski

Jenner
Laine - Sillinger - Fantilli
Boqvist

PK:
Sillinger, Texier
Provorov, Gudbranson

Luostarinen, Chinakhov
Werenski, xxx

I wouldn't make big changes at the beginning of the season, I would let them show their qualities, we build the team. Then around the beginning of December I would start thinking about possible changes. But we have to assume that some players have NMC or M-NTC. Personally, I prefer Jiříček to play one more season in the AHL, but it probably won't be possible. Similar Johnson. Or trade him.

To Elvis, I really hope he will be traded. Also Laine will return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marioesque

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he covers all the bases. Improve the D. Re-invigorate Elvis. Get the most out of Laine. Strengthen the roster. I am very, very optimistic. :sarcasm:

Of course I wouldn't expect him to say this team which has finished last in the East 2 years running needs a major overhaul.

Hopefully the actions provide more hope than the words.

Reactions: majormajor

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If I were to make a lineup for next season, it might look something like this:

1a/. Sillinger (21) - Jenner (31) - Laine (26) > this line is strong, hard, btw Patrik plays his best hockey with similar players
1b/. Gaudreau (31) - Voronkov (24) - Marchenko (24) > Marchie and Voron have excellent chemistry, also have played good with Johnny, they are strong, can made free space for him
1c/. Luostarinen (26) - Fantilli (20) - Chinakhov (23) > speed and hard line
4. Texier (25) - Danforth (31) - Olivier (27) > I think this line does not need any comment

Werenski (27), Boqvist (24)
Provorov (27), Gudbranson (33)
xxx (XX), Severson (30)

Tarasov (25)
Greaves (24)

The first three lines would be equal, they would have equal time in 5v5, which would keep the pace high. Also every should minimum one strong, hard player, simply a power forward.

Plus we might resign Marchenko, Chinakhov and Sillinger, later Fantilli and Voronkov because Eetu has good salary, $3.000.000.

PP (again, equal time):

Voronkov
Gaudreau - Marchenko - Chinakhov
Werenski

Jenner
Laine - Sillinger - Fantilli
Boqvist

PK:
Sillinger, Texier
Provorov, Gudbranson

Luostarinen, Chinakhov
Werenski, xxx

I wouldn't make big changes at the beginning of the season, I would let them show their qualities, we build the team. Then around the beginning of December I would start thinking about possible changes. But we have to assume that some players have NMC or M-NTC. Personally, I prefer Jiříček to play one more season in the AHL, but it probably won't be possible. Similar Johnson. Or trade him.

To Elvis, I really hope he will be traded. Also Laine will return.

That wouldn't look half bad, but how are we getting Luostarinen? He's under contract for next couple of years

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Jake Bean
Left Defense, Columbus Blue Jackets
Stats: 72 GP, 4 G, 9 A, 13 Pts
Due: $2.8 million qualifying offer
Scoop: Columbus has plenty of cap space and could certainly issue the QO for Bean. But it’s not adding up. At $2.8 million, that’s more than the going rate for a third-pair defenseman. Keeping him will gum up the works for young defenders David Jiricek, Denton Mateychuk and Corson Cuelemans. Plus, new Blue Jackets GM Don Waddell already traded Bean once (from Carolina to Columbus) so the writing appears to be on the wall.

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad