Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ek was a good trade. At least on paper. Trading for Ek and keeping this coaching staff ended up with a predictably bad outcome though lol

If we are allowed to Monday Morning Quarterback it.. I would've preferred we kept the 1st and 2nd and Granlund and Petry.

Future state looks a lot better if we are sitting on another top 12 1st versus EK's cap commitment and based on how bad we were with EK, I imagine we probably are bottom 10 if we kept those two and Sullivan.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we are allowed to Monday Morning Quarterback it.. I would've preferred we kept the 1st and 2nd and Granlund and Petry.

Future state looks a lot better if we are sitting on another top 12 1st versus EK's cap commitment and based on how bad we were with EK, I imagine we probably are bottom 10 if we kept those two and Sullivan.
This is a fair argument honestly. I can't disagree with it.

Do still think Ek is salvageable as an asset though. I'm sure he'd be good again with the right coaching staff in place. I just question whether that can happen under Sully.

I don't even think he was bad this year but more that he just didn't move the needle as much as I hoped he would. But I blame coaching for that more than Ek.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
This is a fair argument honestly. I can't disagree with it.

Do still think Ek is salvageable as an asset though. I'm sure he'd be good again with the right coaching staff in place. I just question whether that can happen under Sully.

I don't even think he was bad this year but more that he just didn't move the needle as much as I hoped he would. But I blame coaching for that more than Ek.

I was really happy with Erik Karlsson's play this year. He was worth every penny.

It's obvious Dubas does not believe this team is competitive as currently constructed based on his moves this year following EK65's acquisition.

Making that move and then deciding we aren't a competitive team within the span of six months is just terrible management in my eyes.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was really happy with Erik Karlsson's play this year. He was worth every penny.

It's obvious Dubas does not believe this team is competitive as currently constructed based on his moves this year following EK65's acquisition.

Making that move and then deciding we aren't a competitive team within the span of six months is just terrible management in my eyes.
I think Eks play was mostly good but he was so bad on the pp that I find it hard to be elated with him.

I think adding Bunting to the Guentzel trade is proof that he does think we can be competitive. Otherwise he would have taken only futures in that deal or would have taken an expiring deal to make the cap work for his trade partner.

EK created that trade more than doobies, though
Dubas still had to find dance partners for the shitty contracts he had to move out to make Ek happen

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think Eks play was mostly good but he was so bad on the pp that I find it hard to be elated with him.

I think adding Bunting to the Guentzel trade is proof that he does think we can be competitive. Otherwise he would have taken only futures in that deal or would have taken an expiring deal to make the cap work for his trade partner.

Meh. I don't believe that. I think he's just being asked to keep the optics.

This draft and UFA season will show us, I guess.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It f***ing rules that this team has one incredibly major fixable problem that can be solved without any cap implications or dealing with another team. And we just simply ignore it.

FSG are the greatest owners in sports, so results oriented.

They just don't tolerate underachieving. These guys are gonna come in here and throw their weight around! The minute things seem even a little off they won't hesitate to pull power moves!

...you know... like taking weeks to even fire the historically awful assistant coach while meekly crawling back to a loser head coach for a like 7th straight consecutive trash season.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Pixies we all know you’d rather have Petry.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly I'm also probably in the position at this point that I wouldn't have done the Karlsson deal. It's mostly due to the lack of retention though, Karlsson isn't a $10 million player anymore and it kinda stinks to be paying him that kind of money.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It f***ing rules that this team has one incredibly major fixable problem that can be solved without any cap implications or dealing with another team. And we just simply ignore it.

FSG are the greatest owners in sports, so results oriented.
Cutthroat, you could even say.

I can't get over how wildly different they've been compared to what were told they were going to be.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Honestly I'm also probably in the position at this point that I wouldn't have done the Karlsson deal. It's mostly due to the lack of retention though, Karlsson isn't a $10 million player anymore and it kinda stinks to be paying him that kind of money.
They paid pretty much just a first to get EK AND dump Petry+Rutta+Granlund's contracts. Without that deal, you have to pay just go get out of those deals. I dont think there was really any other choice to be made last offseason.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I feel it is a bit of a waste to go back in time. I still love the Karlsson trade because I still think we won the deal (versus San Jose; Montreal clearly won that 3-way but we already knew that right from the get-go).

AND, like many of his teammates, if the Karlsson we get for much of 2024-25 is the Karlsson of the final 13 or so games of 2023-24, then none of this will matter.

The great ones have an inner desire to get back to past performances. I fully expect Karlsson to bounce back this year. If he had Pettersson next to him for all of last season, it might have been a different story.

That said, our next assistant coach responsible for the defense and the PP is arguably the biggest factor of our entire off-season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They paid pretty much just a first to get EK AND dump Petry+Rutta+Granlund's contracts. Without that deal, you have to pay just go get out of those deals. I dont think there was really any other choice to be made last offseason.

Why would they "have" to do that? They can just let those contracts ride out or trade them for positive value as rentals.

This is purely hindsight, it was a no brainer to do this move last off-season. But at this point, what have the Penguins shown to suggest they're the kind of team that should be paying to get out of bad deals? They should be getting paid to take on bad deals, not paying other teams to take their bad deals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Well, this is the Monday Morning Quarterbacking of the trade.

If you know that the Penguins are going to the miss the playoffs and ultimately sell off assets and not fire Mike Sullivan. Just keep the shitty pieces and finish even worse.

You then have more cap flexiblity and more picks this summer.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Am I crazy or was Yeo’s PP so bad here that he had to be hospitalized?
And yet, it was still better than we got this past year.
05/06: 6th in the league
06/07: 5th
07/08: 4th
08/09: 20th
09/10: 19th

I mean, that sudden drop-off isn't exactly good. But that's still better than 30th.
(No, I don't want Yeo back)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad