Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What could be the holdup in hiring Reirden's replacement? Are we waiting for the end of the Memorial Cup? The Stanley Cup playoffs? Are we waiting for SJ and CBJ to hire their next HCs?

Also, I never liked Bylsma. I still think we should have beaten TB when we were up 3-1 despite not having either Crosby or Malkin for that series. Kovalev centering James Neal. Good times! And how he used Jarome Iginla is among the worst things I have ever seen from this team.

But, I do have to give Bylsma credit for going back down to the AHL and doing quite well. All recycled coaches should have to pay their dues to get back. Guys like Travis Green and Sheldon Keefe getting jobs so soon after failing at their previous jobs is a disgrace. Ditto John Hynes. Even Lindy Ruff. Enough already. And if the Sharks actually hire Jeff Blashill... LOL.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What could be the holdup in hiring Reirden's replacement? Are we waiting for the end of the Memorial Cup? The Stanley Cup playoffs? Are we waiting for SJ and CBJ to hire their next HCs?

Also, I never liked Bylsma. I still think we should have beaten TB when we were up 3-1 despite not having either Crosby or Malkin for that series. Kovalev centering James Neal. Good times! And how he used Jarome Iginla is among the worst things I have ever seen from this team.

But, I do have to give Bylsma credit for going back down to the AHL and doing quite well. All recycled coaches should have to pay their dues to get back. Guys like Travis Green and Sheldon Keefe getting jobs so soon after failing at their previous jobs is a disgrace. Ditto John Hynes. Even Lindy Ruff. Enough already. And if the Sharks actually hire Jeff Blashill... LOL.
Dubas is going to make Mike Sullivan the headcoach and assistant coach. MORE MONEY!!!!!

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
All of the above could be possible. They could be interested in candidates who are also head coach candidates (Marco Sturm, for example). They could be interested in current AHL head coaches (Todd Nelson in Hershey) who are still in the Calder Cup playoffs.

They could also be interested in candidates who may be negotiating with their current teams but who could become coaching free agents if those negotiations don't turn out. Supposedly that's what happened with Mike Yeo - Vancouver talked to him about his expiring contract, but he wants to be in position to be a head coach again, so they opted not to renew.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
All of the above could be possible. They could be interested in candidates who are also head coach candidates (Marco Sturm, for example). They could be interested in current AHL head coaches (Todd Nelson in Hershey) who are still in the Calder Cup playoffs.

They could also be interested in candidates who may be negotiating with their current teams but who could become coaching free agents if those negotiations don't turn out. Supposedly that's what happened with Mike Yeo - Vancouver talked to him about his expiring contract, but he wants to be in position to be a head coach again, so they opted not to renew.

I'd go after Todd Nelson. Hasnt he coached top PP's in the AHL for years on a few different teams? Worth a try.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'd go after Todd Nelson. Hasnt he coached top PP's in the AHL for years on a few different teams? Worth a try.
I think he very well could be a candidate. He's only had one head coach stint - Edmonton for one year after taking from Dallas Eakins pre-McDavid.

He's won everywhere he's coached in the AHL.

He was with Dallas under Montgomery and Bowness, but none of the staff was retained when Bowness stepped down and DeBoer was hired. That's when Nelson landed in Hershey.

The Stars were 11th, 13th, 5th, and 11th when Nelson was working with the power play, but it should be noted he wasn't the only one. Montgomery had a hand in the power play, too, when he was there.

A bit more about Nelson early on with the Stars from The Athletic:

In coaching circles, Nelson had always been considered an innovator when it came to special teams. When his Grand Rapids team won the Calder Cup in 2017 they did so with five forwards on the power play. His teams also had a reputation for being unpredictable on the power play; their approach was never stagnant.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think he very well could be a candidate. He's only had one head coach stint - Edmonton for one year after taking from Dallas Eakins pre-McDavid.

He's won everywhere he's coached in the AHL.

He was with Dallas under Montgomery and Bowness, but none of the staff was retained when Bowness stepped down and DeBoer was hired. That's when Nelson landed in Hershey.

The Stars were 11th, 13th, 5th, and 11th when Nelson was working with the power play, but it should be noted he wasn't the only one. Montgomery had a hand in the power play, too, when he was there.

A bit more about Nelson early on with the Stars from The Athletic:

In coaching circles, Nelson had always been considered an innovator when it came to special teams. When his Grand Rapids team won the Calder Cup in 2017 they did so with five forwards on the power play. His teams also had a reputation for being unpredictable on the power play; their approach was never stagnant.

Hire him Dubas.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
GCJ when Skyrim gets remastered again : r/Gamingcirclejerk

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I hope I'm wrong, but we all know there's a decent chance it might happen, lol.

Also gonna be amazing when the local media and fans try to spin it as some genius move.
That will take some serious back-bending to rationalize this move in the media.
I guess the only thing I like about him is that he's not soft. He's not scared to tell the players the truth and hold them accountable, which is an element I want from the next guy (but not him).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That will take some serious back-bending to rationalize this move in the media.
I guess the only thing I like about him is that he's not soft. He's not scared to tell the players the truth and hold them accountable, which is an element I want from the next guy (but not him).

They will simply just pretend they never said anything critical about him. :laugh:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeo would make zero sense. I would like to think Dubas is smarter than that.

One name that I thought about recently who could be an interesting assistant coach is Tomas Plekanec. IF Jagr is joining the org. it sounds like they want to become more present in central europe. We know there is a connection with Jagr and Plekanec, since the latter went to play with Kladno at the end of his career. Also, and probably more importantly, I think Dubas was in Toronto when the Habs traded Plekanec to Toronto.

He was an assistant coach for the Czechs, who just won gold at the worlds.

I am fairly certain we could do worse than Tomas Plekanec. He is kinda like the Sturm idea if Sturm were available (I think he is headed to SJ).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There is zero evidence Dubas is smarter than bringing in Yeo

Name one good decision he has made...
Ek was a good trade. At least on paper. Trading for Ek and keeping this coaching staff ended up with a predictably bad outcome though lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad