Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
On a positive coaching note. At least we didn’t rehire Bylsma…… reported he will be the new head coach of the Kraken.

Reactions: cygnus47

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he’ll do OK there to be honest.

I was just looking at his resume and forgot how young and inexperienced he was when we first hired him. He didn’t even have a full season of head coaching experience under his belt, at any level. He’s still younger than most head coaches in the league, and I would hope he’s learned a bit over the past 5 years. .715 record in 2 years with Coachella. Ignoring everything prior to that, he’d certainly have been on a lot of teams radars for coaching openings. And “prior to that” includes a Cup and a Jack Adams.

Cassidy had to almost reinvent himself from a looser, player-friendly coach to a defensive tactician over almost like a decade out of the NHL job. When he was fired in Washington basically every single player threw him under the bus. Bylsma doesn’t need all *that* but if he can still be the same personality-wise while being a bit more capable of, like, coaching the game as it’s happening he’ll be good.

And Sullivan too was probably thrown into the NHL too early and had to go back and do his 6 year apprenticeship under Torts.

Last edited:

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The Pens and the Lightning are locked in an intense battle to see which coach gets fired first.

Neither one wants to blink.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he’ll do OK there to be honest.

I was just looking at his resume and forgot how young and inexperienced he was when we first hired him. He didn’t even have a full season of head coaching experience under his belt, at any level. He’s still younger than most head coaches in the league, and I would hope he’s learned a bit over the past 5 years. .715 record in 2 years with Coachella. Ignoring everything prior to that, he’d certainly have been on a lot of teams radars for coaching openings. And “prior to that” includes a Cup and a Jack Adams.

Cassidy had to almost reinvent himself from a looser, player-friendly coach to a defensive tactician over almost like a decade out of the NHL job. When he was fired in Washington basically every single player threw him under the bus. Bylsma doesn’t need all *that* but if he can still be the same personality-wise while being a bit more capable of, like, coaching the game as it’s happening he’ll be good.

And Sullivan too was probably thrown into the NHL too early and had to go back and do his 6 year apprenticeship under Torts.

Bylsma has come out and said he was too stubborn in Buffalo and Pittsburgh and has learned from those experiences there isn't "one way" to play.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Bylsma has come out and said he was too stubborn in Buffalo and Pittsburgh and has learned from those experiences there isn't "one way" to play.
Much like with Sullivan, when you have success right off the bat at a new job, you think it's because of you.

Maybe Bylsma has learned, but we know Sullivan hasn't.

Reactions: cygnus47

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's pretty obvious by the end of the year comments that he won't.
He's got no reason to change. Multiple GMs and owners, as well as the media and fanbase, adore the guy--loudly. He's had nothing but unearned positive reinforcement since 2018. :laugh:

Probably gonna take a humiliating tumble like Bylsma's been through to awaken any iota of humble Sullivan's got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad