Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm really starting to wonder if Sedin-Sedin-Sutter might actually be a thing to start the season.

Willie seemed to like it but it seems like such a bizarre pairing and use of your reputed "shut down centre". I like that it opens up the 3C spot for McCann but hate that it blocks the 2RW spot for Virtanen.

Actually would prefer Sutter go back to the 3C and maybe shuffle McCann over to the wing on that line with Hansen or Burrows. That way both McCann and Virts get solid roles and line placements.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Willie seemed to like it but it seems like such a bizarre pairing and use of your reputed "shut down centre". I like that it opens up the 3C spot for McCann but hate that it blocks the 2RW spot for Virtanen.

Actually would prefer Sutter go back to the 3C and maybe shuffle McCann over to the wing on that line with Hansen or Burrows. That way both McCann and Virts get solid roles and line placements.

Well that's the good part about Sutter with the Twins. McCann at 3C.

Also we've only seen 3 periods of Sutter with the Twins and the Twins were playing at pre season speed. I'm not against giving this a chance. Sutter can still play C at PK.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Fortunate that Raymond hits waivers the same day as Vey. That way if anyone wants a weak, semi-skilled bottom 6 forward that will quickly become the scorn of their fan base they can pluck the more well-reputed Raymond and leave Vey to make it through. Vey in Utica would be beneficial to our offensive depth and could be a boon to a guy like Shinkaruk. Hope he clears.

Vey does make a lot less and has one year left to Raymond's 2 years...might make Vey more attractive.

arsmaster*

Or you just put Cracknell in the press box and play Sutter with Prust and Dorsett and have Vrbata where he belongs next to the Twins.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Or you just put Cracknell in the press box and play Sutter with Prust and Dorsett and have Vrbata where he belongs next to the Twins.

That'd be my preference but WD needs to get this Sutter-on-the-wing infatuation out of his system.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It appears we will be starting out with Sedins-Sutter.

So determined is the staff to find a place for McCann on the top three lines, marquee off-season acquisition Brandon Sutter was shifted Saturday from centre to right wing and played with Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Coach Willie Desjardins liked the combination so much, he may go with it again on Wednesday.

“Honestly, I really liked it,” he said. “I thought it was good. I thought they had some good chances. I’ll talk to them to see how they rated it and what they thought of it, but I thought there were some pretty good things out of it.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...will+served/11413504/story.html#ixzz3niLBxyRs

Looks like:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust/Dorsett-Cracknell-Virtanen

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It appears we will be starting out with Sedins-Sutter.

Looks like:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust/Dorsett-Cracknell-Virtanen

Disappointed seeing Virtanen given the shaft. That fourth line is completely talentless and doesn't put him in a position to be successful.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Disappointed seeing Virtanen given the shaft. That fourth line is completely talentless and doesn't put him in a position to be successful.

That's really the only reasonable way to have both McCann and Virtanen in the line-up right now. They won't demote seasoned wingers like Hansen/Burrows to the fourth line, so it's either McCann or Virt playing with the scrubs for now. Also the suggestion Sutter would play on the fourth line is funny, it's obvious there's quite literally no chance of that happening.

arsmaster*

That's really the only reasonable way to have both McCann and Virtanen in the line-up right now. They won't demote seasoned wingers like Hansen/Burrows to the fourth line, so it's either McCann or Virt playing with the scrubs for now. Also the suggestion Sutter would play on the fourth line is funny, it's obvious there's quite literally no chance of that happening.

I disagree.

Put Vrbata where he belongs, with the Twins.

Keep Virtanen with Horvat, where he flourished.

Put Sutter in the position he's played his entire life, next to Prust and Dorsett and play McCann with Burrows and Hansen, Cracknell in the pressbox.

At least go with the Virt-Horvat combo until it proves ineffective.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I disagree.

Put Vrbata where he belongs, with the Twins.

Keep Virtanen with Horvat, where he flourished.

Put Sutter in the position he's played his entire life, next to Prust and Dorsett and play McCann with Burrows and Hansen, Cracknell in the pressbox.

At least go with the Virt-Horvat combo until it proves ineffective.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see this as well, but like I said I'm keeping my expectations reasonable here.

Management made some progress keeping the rookies. I just don't think you can expect them to start their flagship, $4MM+ off season acquisition on the fourth line.

arsmaster*

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see this as well, but like I said I'm keeping my expectations reasonable here.

Management made some progress keeping the rookies. I just don't think you can expect them to start their flagship, $4MM+ off season acquisition on the fourth line.

Why?

You said "the only reasonable....", I'd say playing the position he was acquired to play on a line that he played on during preseason is reasonable, but sure I can see their reasoning of putting him in a position to justify his acquistion, but I don't see my wish as being unreasonable.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why?

You said "the only reasonable....", I'd say playing the position he was acquired to play on a line that he played on during preseason is reasonable, but sure I can see their reasoning of putting him in a position to justify his acquistion, but I don't see my wish as being unreasonable.

Yes, but our management team and Willie D won't do it. At least there's some evidence now they will go that way eventually, however, if McCann and Virtanen continue to outperform the vets.

arsmaster*

Yes, but our management team and Willie D won't do it. At least there's some evidence now they will go that way eventually, however, if McCann and Virtanen continue to outperform the vets.

Fair enough, I took issue with you saying my stance wasn't reasonable.

The best line this entire preseason was Jake with Sven and Bo....It's not unreasonable to stick with that, nor is it unreasonable for the shutdown C to play with the human mentorpede checkers on the 4th line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Fair enough, I took issue with you saying my stance wasn't reasonable.

The best line this entire preseason was Jake with Sven and Bo....It's not unreasonable to stick with that, nor is it unreasonable for the shutdown C to play with the human mentorpede checkers on the 4th line.

Yeah, I suppose my failure in logic is qualifying our management and coaching as reasonable. I guess realistic is a better word...having now had some experience with Benning and Willie. ;) Honestly, even if Sutter is moved away from the Twins right now it's pretty clear he'd be taking McCann's spot on that third line. So half of one, six dozen of the other essentially. Either McCann or Virt is likely starting the season on the fourth line, and Virt's skillset is better suited for that role in theory.

arsmaster*

That sucks, I liked him wearing 77

Virtanen wore #18 in all the rookie promos put on by the NHL and is wearing #18 in his rookie card.....this was inevitable.

Wonder what McCann will do, would be hilarious if he took #7.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Virtanen wore #18 in all the rookie promos put on by the NHL and is wearing #18 in his rookie card.....this was inevitable.

Wonder what McCann will do?

McCann is now #91 according to Irfan. He's worn 19 his whole career, but obviously that's not going to happen in Vancouver.

Virtanen has worn #18 whenever he can, so no surprise there. Although #77 definitely became him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad