RHC Roger McQueen - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL(2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Things are kinda wide open in the east after Medicine Hat but I expect Brandon to be one of the top teams. Hard to predict how this year will go compared with others.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Watching video from last year, I see him winning open-ice foot races and blowing past guys while carrying the puck. That indicates his stride is pretty good. I think the area he probably really needs to work on his short-space speed and quickness.

This kid is still filling out and growing into this big frame.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a good player, but I've never felt wowed by his skill level. Whenever I watch him, I always feel like his hands look slow and he's relying on his reach too much. I wonder if people would think nearly as highly of him if he were 6'1 instead.

When I watched Brandon when Danielson was there, it seemed like McQueen was more of a net front guy than anything else. Not a ton of flash or creativity, not a ton of playmaking. I wonder if that's how he will project in the NHL.
But he’s 6’5. You can’t take that out of the equation.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, but I think any team making that pick is happy with that outcome.
True. I'm stating the obvious : Sometimes the BIG kids take longer to develop than someone who is 6'1", so teams may discount his size come draft time.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yes, but do we end up with a Quinton Byfield? - as soon as he plays against men and he can't be as physical, he needs YEARS to develop.

Byfield really wasn't all that much of a physical player in junior. He was just a bigger better athlete than the majority of players. Could just skate around people he was that fast. He's starting to put together all those tools finally now and had some physically dominant games in the NHL.

I watched Brandon against the Pats the other day and McQueen was scrumming it up constantly. I can see what the poster above is saying in that he isn't yet as mean as Lindstrom was(is) but Bright Eyes was very involved physically.
side note I love Junior hockey for that shit sometimes, just unadulterated smooth brained teenage testosterone

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Byfield really wasn't all that much of a physical player in junior. He was just a bigger better athlete than the majority of players. Could just skate around people he was that fast. He's starting to put together all those tools finally now and had some physically dominant games in the NHL.

I watched Brandon against the Pats the other day and McQueen was scrumming it up constantly. I can see what the poster above is saying in that he isn't yet as mean as Lindstrom was(is) but Bright Eyes was very involved physically.
side note I love Junior hockey for that shit sometimes, just unadulterated smooth brained teenage testosterone
Makes for good rivalries that aren't as manufactured as the NHL. Saginaw and Soo were playing their last pre season game last night and they were already at each other's throats. Running each other over. Dust ups after the whistle. All for a couple hundred people when it didn't matter.

As for McQueen, kid has great hands for his size, actually for anyone's size. Once his puts on 15 lbs down the line, he's going to be a problem. As long as he doesn't get some kind of injury, should be a top 5 pick.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay. Controversial take time.

After watching him in person this weekend and watching the tape of his previous games this season...

He wasn't too noticeable quite a bit of the games and looks like he's still having some trouble processing the game. Pretty much looked like a giant 17 year old at times.

But when he was... oh wow. Powerful shot, mean streak, was tangling with 19/20 year okds, had solid instincts

I'm in Saskatoon, I saw Dach's entire season. I'm taking this kid easy. Cayden Lindstrom is quite a bit less of a prospect than this kid. Heck, Byfield didnt have what this kid has.

If he can become a play driver as he progresses through the year and becomes more confident... I see him potentially becoming an option for first overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky and Faceboner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad