Official Trade Speculation/Proposal Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I would expect Yandle to be on the table if we are moving Vanek to Pho.

Vietnamese Pho is delicious, btw.

Doubtful. If we are to target anyone, it should be Gormley or Samuelssen as the primary targets IMO. I don't think Yandle is available.

Pho is awesome, Boston has some really good Vietnamese restaurants.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Doubtful. If we are to target anyone, it should be Gormley or Samuelssen as the primary targets IMO. I don't think Yandle is available.

Pho is awesome, Boston has some really good Vietnamese restaurants.

Henrik Samuelsson is one hell of a prospect.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
No chance there will be a trade involving Yandle for Vanek, if that's what you're saying.

I had been under the impression that Phoenix had superlative depth on defense and viewed Yandle as expendable. They offered Yandle for JVR last year alone. They would deal from strength for a need. I am not seeing the reason for "No it won't happen" here. You could argue that we would have to give more, but so be it.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I had been under the impression that Phoenix had superlative depth on defense and viewed Yandle as expendable. They offered Yandle for JVR last year alone. They would deal from strength for a need. I am not seeing the reason for "No it won't happen" here. You could argue that we would have to give more, but so be it.

Yandle might be expendable, but not for a UFA who is clearly going to test the market. A bit silly to think that Phoenix would consider that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

JVR is 24 and is signed until 2018 at a 4.25M per caphit.

That is alot different than a 30 year old impending UFA who is (generally) beginning the downside of his career while looking for a raise on a 5.75M per cap hit.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
If the Isles grab the 1st overall...do you dangle Ekblad in front of edm for an Eberle?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If the Isles grab the 1st overall...do you dangle Ekblad in front of edm for an Eberle?

Not me, I'm not a big fan of his. His one really big year was when he had a shooting % of nearly 19%. The other three years he is in the 12% range, where it is more likely. Far better to look for that top goalie prospect plus something else of value.

Or if we are really set on a 2nd line forward look for someone with size as part of the package.

For example, assume that Phily ends up drafting 15th.

Do we offer to swap picks with them for Simmonds and L. Schenn?

Now you've solved the 2nd line RW (and a nice player to pair with Strome or Nelson), upgraded the size on the defense and still draft 15th, where a bunch of LW's are likely to be available.

Or look at Detroit, who may be willing to offer Mzarek and other pieces to get Ekblad.

Anaheim has Ottawa's first pick (around 12th) - Andersson and a 2nd in 2015 to swap with us?

Washington around 10 - Alzner and Grubauer to swap? Draft Virtanen at #10.

There are a LOT of options to improve this team if we win the lottery that don't include just using the pick.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Not me, I'm not a big fan of his. His one really big year was when he had a shooting % of nearly 19%. The other three years he is in the 12% range, where it is more likely. Far better to look for that top goalie prospect plus something else of value.

Or if we are really set on a 2nd line forward look for someone with size as part of the package.

For example, assume that Phily ends up drafting 15th.

Do we offer to swap picks with them for Simmonds and L. Schenn?

Now you've solved the 2nd line RW (and a nice player to pair with Strome or Nelson), upgraded the size on the defense and still draft 15th, where a bunch of LW's are likely to be available.

Or look at Detroit, who may be willing to offer Mzarek and other pieces to get Ekblad.

Anaheim has Ottawa's first pick (around 12th) - Andersson and a 2nd in 2015 to swap with us?

Washington around 10 - Alzner and Grubauer to swap? Draft Virtanen at #10.

There are a LOT of options to improve this team if we win the lottery that don't include just using the pick.

you want to trade the #1 overall for a goalie prospect? Did you see what bernier, schnieder, bishop went for?

i like eberle...plus 60 pts in his first 3/4 seasons. I think he would be a help to this team...is he equal value for the #1 pick? not sure on that. I certainly dont center my trade on mzarek, anderson, or graubner.

you are right. lots of options if we win lottery

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
you want to trade the #1 overall for a goalie prospect? Did you see what bernier, schnieder, bishop went for?

you are right. lots of options if we win lottery

No, I want to trade it for a package that includes a possible #1 goalie or in Phily's case, two solid, proven NHLers without a lot of age on them who fit our needs as well as THEIR #1 picks.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

I would trade it for a grade A defenceman or goaltender. It is quite obvious to all who watch the games that this team is WEAK in those areas. Other than that, keep it and take ekblad.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
If the Isles were lucky enough to get EKBLAD I am not sure I would dangle him for anything outside of a kings ransom, he has the upside of a number 1 Dman and those don't come around often. Just look at how many teams in the NHL have an actual number 1 Dman. At that point if I was going to dangle a dman it would be G. Reinhart. Then again I do have a slight mancrush on Ekblad.

scott99

May 13, 2005

No thanks. Ekblad makes our defense incredible. Hamonic, CDH, Reinhart, Ekblad, Pulock, Pokka, if they all play to their potential, is a very good defense. Even losing Vanek, I expect a good forward prospect back or possibly to draft a forward prospect with the pick we should get from the Vanek trade.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
No thanks. Ekblad makes our defense incredible. Hamonic, CDH, Reinhart, Ekblad, Pulock, Pokka, if they all play to their potential, is a very good defense. Even losing Vanek, I expect a good forward prospect back or possibly to draft a forward prospect with the pick we should get from the Vanek trade.

I suspect that teams will value Ekblad a lot more than he'll actually be worth. I don't see this 'Seth Jones' like upside with him. I can basically see him topping out as a Hamonic. I'd rather deal him off for some kind of big return, TBH.

If no one offers it, I'd rather just take Reinhart 1st overall.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I suspect that teams will value Ekblad a lot more than he'll actually be worth. I don't see this 'Seth Jones' like upside with him. I can basically see him topping out as a Hamonic. I'd rather deal him off for some kind of big return, TBH.

In my very limited views of S.Reinhart I was left feeling like it is Josh Bailey 2.0. I am probably way off base here but I am just so meh on him

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
In my very limited views of S.Reinhart I was left feeling like it is Josh Bailey 2.0. I am probably way off base here but I am just so meh on him

I used to think that. Never really wowed me. The more you see him though, the more you see how consistently solid he is. True two-way guy. Potential big-game performer. Not necessarily the highest ceiling(maybe 80-85 points?), but he easily has the highest floor of anyone in this draft(60 point range, if I had to guess). He's basically the exact type of forward we should be targeting.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm definitely more skeptical about Ekblad now. There is no denying his rare physical skill set, but has dominating physically left his mental game behind?

We know Garth loves guys who have a great mind for the game and right now, Reinhart seems to be getting the most praise for his ability to think the game out of the top prospects.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I agree that Ekblad doesn't have Seth Jones type of potential. I think his upside is more on par with a G. Reinhart level upside as a #2/top end #3. He would put our blue line prospect base over the top, but he would be a luxury at this point. He'll need time so he wouldn't be able to step into a top-4 role for us until 2 years later at the earliest IMO. Reinhart is more advanced in his development and more NHL ready so he's the most likely to make the jump next year. We need defensive help now.

If we got the #1 overall, maybe Edmonton would be interested in the pick since they'll probably have the #3 overall. Garth should call up MacT and offer the pick up for the #3 and their 2015 1st. EDM has no 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders this year so they don't have many trade assets. I don't think any of their young guys are available so they only surrender futures and get their much needed d-man prospect right away. I don't want Gagner/Eberle/or whatever else they want to unload - don't like their contracts.

Garth gets Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Ritchie(?) at #3. We'll likely have 2 other 1sts from the Vanek/AMac trades and a high 2nd rounder. For a team wanting to build some depth and have a top-4 guy they may want to part with, I'd give up all or any combination of them plus whatever B-prospects we have in the system.

Imagine walking out with a replacement for the potential shot at McDavid, a top end forward prospect at #3, and a legitimate top-4 defender to plug in right now. Call Nashville and offer up all the picks after the 3rd overall and ask for Josi. We'll get flamed for it, but we get flamed for everything anyway so who cares. Get a goalie or 2 in UFA and we are a much improved team next season operating at the cap floor - Wang is happy.

CdH-Hamonic
Josi-Visnovsky
Reinhart-Hickey/Strait
Carkner

We'd have 7 1/2 NHL d-men in the NHL and a whole host of prospects developing in the AHL. Donovan and Mayfield would be the likely injury call ups. Signing a UFA d-men as a stop gap would be a real bonus for our depth too.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I agree that Ekblad doesn't have Seth Jones type of potential. I think his upside is more on par with a G. Reinhart level upside as a #2/top end #3. He would put our blue line prospect base over the top, but he would be a luxury at this point. He'll need time so he wouldn't be able to step into a top-4 role for us until 2 years later at the earliest IMO. Reinhart is more advanced in his development and more NHL ready so he's the most likely to make the jump next year. We need defensive help now.

If we got the #1 overall, maybe Edmonton would be interested in the pick since they'll probably have the #3 overall. Garth should call up MacT and offer the pick up for the #3 and their 2015 1st. EDM has no 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders this year so they don't have many trade assets. I don't think any of their young guys are available so they only surrender futures and get their much needed d-man prospect right away. I don't want Gagner/Eberle/or whatever else they want to unload - don't like their contracts.

Garth gets Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Ritchie(?) at #3. We'll likely have 2 other 1sts from the Vanek/AMac trades and a high 2nd rounder. For a team wanting to build some depth and have a top-4 guy they may want to part with, I'd give up all or any combination of them plus whatever B-prospects we have in the system.

Imagine walking out with a replacement for the potential shot at McDavid, a top end forward prospect at #3, and a legitimate top-4 defender to plug in right now. Call Nashville and offer up all the picks after the 3rd overall and ask for Josi. We'll get flamed for it, but we get flamed for everything anyway so who cares. Get a goalie or 2 in UFA and we are a much improved team next season operating at the cap floor - Wang is happy.

CdH-Hamonic
Josi-Visnovsky
Reinhart-Hickey/Strait
Carkner

We'd have 7 1/2 NHL d-men in the NHL and a whole host of prospects developing in the AHL. Donovan and Mayfield would be the likely injury call ups. Signing a UFA d-men as a stop gap would be a real bonus for our depth too.

You're usually realistic PW, but I don't see why Nashville would have any interest in trading Josi. Even if we offer them a ton of picks and the value is good for them, it doesn't make any sense. They are not going to want to be perpetually backwards like us.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You're usually realistic PW, but I don't see why Nashville would have any interest in trading Josi. Even if we offer them a ton of picks and the value is good for them, it doesn't make any sense. They are not going to want to be perpetually backwards like us.

Josi is my dream shot, not like I expect or rationalize a potential deal. In any case, Snow has a ton of assets to upgrade and get us a top-4 d-man at the draft. That one acquisition would do wonders for this team. I kind of expect him to do that this year.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Josi is my dream shot, not like I expect that. In any case, Snow has a ton of assets to upgrade and get us a top-4 d-man at the draft. That one acquisition would do wonders for this team. I kind of expect him to do that this year.

I would love it. If the Vanek trade told us anything, it's that Garth is willing to move picks. I certainly hope he moves the picks he gets for Vanek and AMac for a defenseman/goalie at the draft, but I think it's pushing luck to expect it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

CdH-Hamonic
Josi-Visnovsky
Reinhart-Hickey/Strait
Carkner

That's a lot of moving parts. I'd love it though if we could make it happen. I just don't see Edmonton offering up that 2015 1st to move up two spots, even if they absolutely covet Ekblad. I also don't see Nashville dealing Josi for anything short of a top-5 pick. IF we don't win the lottery, maybe that is a deal we can consider.

I actually like leerogy's idea. A team like Anaheim would love a prospect like Ekblad. That seems to be their one missing link defensively. A RH d-man who can potentially fill in on that 1st pairing with Fowler going forward.

Call them up and offer the 1st for Gibson, '14 2nd and '15 1st. As much as they love Gibson, I'm pretty sure they move him in that deal. You lose your top pick but you still most likely have at least one first remaining, maybe two, depending on what you get for Vanek and MacDonald. Gibson is my favorite non-Isles prospect. He's got big-game goalie written all over him. He's probably at least another year away from being a guy we can rely on to start, so I would still go out and get a UFA, but IMO our only shot of getting a true franchise guy between the pipes is in a deal like this. I doubt we find one via UFA, and no one will deal anyone that is NHL established.

The only other deal I can think of at this point would be the 1st overall + Matt Donovan for Ryan O'Rielly + COL '15 1st. Colorado needs more high-end defenders, and there has been some talk of ROR possibly being available after the season. He's obviously more of a sure thing than anything we would get in the draft, and could instantly repair our top-six with the departure of Vanek:

ROR/Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
ROR/Bailey - Nelson - Strome

Not a bad group, especially with Nielsen slotting down to the 3C giving us some real depth down the middle.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The only other deal I can think of at this point would be the 1st overall + Matt Donovan for Ryan O'Rielly + COL '15 1st. Colorado needs more high-end defenders, and there has been some talk of ROR possibly being available after the season. He's obviously more of a sure thing than anything we would get in the draft, and could instantly repair our top-six with the departure of Vanek:

ROR/Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
ROR/Bailey - Nelson - Strome

Not a bad group, especially with Nielsen slotting down to the 3C giving us some real depth down the middle.

I thought Roy was in love with ROR?

Remember that Stansy is a UFA ...I believe ROR is playing Wing this year but they could move him back to center...

With the way Mack is playing though they are more likely to keep him at Wing...

I don't hate your deal but I cant help but think if we did end up with the first overall that there would be an abundance of solid offers for Ekblad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad