Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
so he should take less money to play with a garbage franchise

:clap:

:huh: That is not what I said.

Perhaps this might help you when posting future responses.

con·text

noun: context
the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wouldn't count on Matthews or Chychrun at this point.
1st there is a lottery for the 3 spots and 2nd, judging from the early (yes I know it's early) struggles of certain teams, I think there will be much more competition for the bottom 5 than we thought. Everyone thought it was a clear case of Arizona sucks, the rest will be better. Not starting that way. I thought we were clear cut bottom 5 but now, I think we may be the 7-8-9 team in the NHL. Columbus stinks,NJ can't score, Carolina is always up and down, Edmonton still has free fall attached, Boston is a Chara,slumping Rask away from crashing, Arizona could come back to Earth, I'm not sold on Buffalo etc.
We could end up in the same no mans land we didn't want to be in when we had Kessel. Time will tell.
though if that ended up happening we could win one of the lotto picks ourselves, iknow its being optimistic but i beleaf we can win the lotto

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Only problem with Komarov is 2.95M is a lot of money to pay a 4th line type. I don't know if he's a 3rd liner on a legit team.

JVR-Kadri are certainly possibilities to be moved.

Hunwick I think surprised them, and Babcock loves him.

Haven't been impressed with Harrington or Marcinin really, I could see Harrington go down at one point in favor of giving Loov or Percy a chance.

Even if we offer him the same as Tampa Bay, he takes him less at the end of the day because he has better tax laws in Florida then in Ontario.

Babcock likes guys willing to go to the net, take the punishment & get the garbage goals. So far that's Komarov.

I like Harrington, he was put into the fire, he knows it, Babcock knows it & I like the way he has responded. There isn't a D on the team that has his head on a swivel like him. He's not as pretty as some others getting the job done, but he's been getting it done & has shown good poise with the breakout.

Marincin - don't know what to do with him, more time I guess, but if he doesn't get it soon then maybe a cheap trade.

Regarding Stamkos, I don't like the timing. I would rather wait a year & try to get Tavares. There is a Shanahan & Tavares connection as well.

91Kadri91*

Forgot about Harrington. Marincin won't be here long IMO

Komarov is definitely a 3rd liner, and can even jump into the top 6 if absolutely needed. He's found his game again after a tough year last year, and is playing like he did 3 years ago, and even 2 years ago in the KHL.

He's had more scoring opportunities than anyone else if I'd have to guess. I'm sure there's actual numbers somewhere

All Situations, Not Score Adjusted, iSC

Even-Strength, Score Adjusted, iSC

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I wouldn't count on Matthews or Chychrun at this point.
1st there is a lottery for the 3 spots and 2nd, judging from the early (yes I know it's early) struggles of certain teams, I think there will be much more competition for the bottom 5 than we thought. Everyone thought it was a clear case of Arizona sucks, the rest will be better. Not starting that way. I thought we were clear cut bottom 5 but now, I think we may be the 7-8-9 team in the NHL. Columbus stinks,NJ can't score, Carolina is always up and down, Edmonton still has free fall attached, Boston is a Chara,slumping Rask away from crashing, Arizona could come back to Earth, I'm not sold on Buffalo etc.
We could end up in the same no mans land we didn't want to be in when we had Kessel. Time will tell.

Well., personally.. I am not into the whole tanking philosophy.., as any team/coach who would do this on purpose really doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, imo.. If we are down to five games left.. and they are trying to play for draft order, I guess that's a little more acceptable..

Still.., when I play a sport, I give 100% until the last game is over.. That's what the word"sportsmanship" entails..

However.., if you people that want us to tank have a favorite, I guess that Matthews is one of the best goals.. He sure has size, skill and speed.., for someone who just turned 18, in September..

New Auston Matthews Montage

Swayze*

:huh: That is not what I said.

Perhaps this might help you when posting future responses.

con·text

noun: context
the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

pre·ten·tious

/prəˈten(t)SHəs/

adjective

adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
pre·ten·tious

/prəˈten(t)SHəs/

adjective

adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

You missed again, was going for sarcasm but whatever floats your boat.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
What in the blue hell is pretentious about saying that, if Stamkos wants to play in Toronto, then he's going to need to really want to play in Toronto because it may involve settling for a lesser deal than he could get elsewhere?

I'm lost.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Well., personally.. I am not into the whole tanking philosophy.., as any team/coach who would do this on purpose really doesn't deserve to be in the NHL, imo.. If we are down to five games left.. and they are trying to play for draft order, I guess that's a little more acceptable..

Still.., when I play a sport, I give 100% until the last game is over.. That's what the word"sportsmanship" entails..

However.., if you people that want us to tank have a favorite, I guess that Matthews is one of the best goals.. He sure has size, skill and speed.., for someone who just turned 18, in September..

New Auston Matthews Montage

This kid is unreal. Please God just once .... Answer us Leaf fans this one wish?

Swayze*

What in the blue hell is pretentious about saying that, if Stamkos wants to play in Toronto, then he's going to need to really want to play in Toronto because it may involve settling for a lesser deal than he could get elsewhere?

I'm lost.

Read again

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Read again
'If Stamkos wants to play in Toronto, then he's going to need to really want to play in Toronto because it may involve settling for a lesser deal than he could get elsewhere.'
'So he should take less money to play for this garbage franchise?'
'No, you're taking what I said out of context.'
'PRETENTIOUS!!!11!'

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
It's really a tough call on whether or not this team finishes in the bottom 3 of the league this year I think. The team structure and work ethic for the most part is noticeably different from what we've seen in the past.. in a good way. I know it's early and all, but with better goal-tending I believe the game vs the Habs could have been a win. Same with the Ottawa game. Pens too for that matter. One less spaz goal from Bernier, or one less flop and swim and have no idea where the puck is incident from Reimer and the game is winnable providing the offense can score a goal please and thank you.
The defense is still a work in progress as we can see. Dion, Hunwick, Gards, Morgan look good so far. I think Babcock turns this into a bottom 8 team rather than a bottom 3. Yeah.
Obviously not the most talented team but still out-shooting opponents, which is a nice change. People will say perimeter shots and whatever, but the guys really have been getting some good chances and unfortunately are unable to bury them.

Swayze*

'If Stamkos wants to play in Toronto, then he's going to need to really want to play in Toronto because it may involve settling for a lesser deal than he could get elsewhere.'
'PRETENTIOUS!!!111'

:facepalm:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Tanking is something management does, not the team. You always expect the coach and players to be giving 100% every game, but the GM should be making moves that take the future into consideration.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I'm lost.

Why wouldn't Toronto have the cap space to sign him to a max deal?

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Why wouldn't Toronto have the cap space to sign him to a max deal?
It's not about cap space, it's about cap management. But at the end of the day, if Stamkos reaches free agency, Lou may feel differently and offer a max deal. Hence 'may'.

In any case I was just trying to decipher what Swayze was on about, but apparently he can't come up with an explanation either so nevermind.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's not about cap space, it's about cap management. But at the end of the day, if Stamkos reaches free agency, Lou may feel differently and offer a max deal. Hence 'may'.

How many people in the league are as good or better as Stamkos?

While it is important to keep in mind that you shouldn't shoot handcuff yourself for future years, you also have to gamble that none of their current prospects are going to be as good as Stammer.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
How many people in the league are as good or better as Stamkos?

While it is important to keep in mind that you shouldn't shoot handcuff yourself for future years, you also have to gamble that none of their current prospects are going to be as good as Stammer.
I'm not making an case for or against signing Stamkos to a max deal if he reaches free agency. I'm just taking into account the possibility that management won't offer one.

Personally I would have certain reservations about it seeing how goal scorers like Stamkos tend to peak earlier in their careers, but I have to admit it'd be awful difficult to complain about him centering our top line on opening night next October.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
'PRETENTIOUS!!!11!'

Tax breaks are nice, but the extracurricular revenue stream of selling extra jerseys and additional sponsors he would make playing in Toronto would more than make up for the tax break. He could be selling Bob Bannerman crysler ads, you-name-it his name could be successful I selling it if he played for the leafs, he could open up successful sports bars if he wanted, he could buy and own multiple car dealerships as Paul Coffey does in bolton.
And that's not even taking into account the 'hero' factor. He would be the first "local kid comes home" story this city has seen in ..... possibly ever!?
If Stamkos is smart, he waits until the off season before he signs. He could listen to other teams offers as STILL always opt to go back to Tampa at the end. He's in the drivers seat, why give up that option?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm not making an case for or against signing Stamkos to a max deal if he reaches free agency. I'm just taking into account the possibility that management won't offer one.

If he does hit free agency, I guarantee that they make an offer. I would put the number at 95%, they do.

Remember a couple years ago when Brad Richards reached free agency, he had 28 teams lined up to talk with him. And that was a Brad Richards at 31 years of age after being bought out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he does hit free agency, I guarantee that they make an offer. I would put the number at 95%, they do.

Remember a couple years ago when Brad Richards reached free agency, he had 28 teams lined up to talk with him. And that was a Brad Richards at 31 years of age after being bought out.

Think you're confusing it.

Brad Richards was a popular commodity after leaving Dallas a free agent and ultimately signed with the New York Rangers.

Upon being bought out by them, I don't believe the interest was that heavy. at least not 28 teams lined up to speak with him heavy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The thing to remember too, is that Stamkos at 30-34 isn't going to be as good as he was at 24. Players decline as they age. Something to keep in mind when thinking of a cap hit that makes sense to bring him to the Leafs.

Brad Richards is a great example of how nasty player declines can be. I don't think t will be that bad with Stankos, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to some extent.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Think you're confusing it.

Brad Richards was a popular commodity after leaving Dallas a free agent and ultimately signed with the New York Rangers.

Upon being bought out by them, I don't believe the interest was that heavy. at least not 28 teams lined up to speak with him heavy.

Yup, my bad. You're right.

When he hit free agency after leaving Dallas, he was 30 years old and had seasons of 16,24 and 28 goals leading up to it.

Stamkos will hit at 26, with seasons of 60, 29 (half season), 25 (broken leg) and 43. Huge difference.

I'm changing my mind. There is 100% chance they make an offer to him.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The thing to remember too, is that Stamkos at 30-34 isn't going to be as good as he was at 24. Players decline as they age. Something to keep in mind when thinking of a cap hit that makes sense to bring him to the Leafs.

Brad Richards is a great example of how nasty player declines can be. I don't think t will be that bad with Stankos, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to some extent.

Yea, I wasn't really thinking about Brad Richards as a comparable, but they are nowhere near the same type of goal scorer. Stamkos is a much more dynamic goal scorer. Richards' highest goal total is 28.

But the key to think about if they do bring in Stamkos... Think about how much heat that takes off Kadri, Nylander and (draft pick). Everyone moves down in the pecking order.

Stamkos
Kadri
Nylander
Spaling
(just an example)
Everyone shifts down and doesn't have to take on the attention that Stamkos would do on a nightly basis. That's huge for guys that you're looking at easing into the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad