Official Tank Thread of the Toronto Maple Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm wondering how much of it is knowing they may lose him, so they are going to trash him whenever possible.

Especially if he comes here. Everyone outside of Toronto will be spouting off about how he's not an elite player anymore, which is pure bullocks.

I believe Stamkos isn't happy in Tampa Bay, starting with the whole St Louis ordeal, then being moved to the wing, and so on and so forth.

I truly honestly believe he wants to come play for the Maple Leafs.

Without going into crazy "I know so and so" - I'll say i've heard stuff to this effect going back to last year. Not saying it's a slam dunk, but i've heard things.

I didn't want to read into it too much at the time because it sucks getting your hopes up, and I also didn't understand why he would leave such a situation - Great weather, favourable tax laws, Stanley cup contender, and getting to go through the day to day life without being stopped in the streets too much.

Also wouldn't be surprised that Tampa fans are just bashing him or scrutinizing him a bit more then they have previously because he may be gone.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Without going into crazy "I know so and so" - I'll say i've heard stuff to this effect going back to last year. Not saying it's a slam dunk, but i've heard things.

I didn't want to read into it too much at the time because it sucks getting your hopes up, and I also didn't understand why he would leave such a situation - Great weather, favourable tax laws, Stanley cup contender, and getting to go through the day to day life without being stopped in the streets to much.

Also wouldn't be surprised that Tampa fans are just bashing him or scrutinizing him a bit more then they have previously because he may be gone.

I think the whole "The Ontario Boys will come home" was a direct message to Stamkos almost.

This kinda reminds me of David Clarkson. There was all these murmurs and speculation that he wanted to go to the Leafs, and the Leafs wanted him and all that stuff.

There were people that said no, and some people who denied it... but it happened.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think the whole "The Ontario Boys will come home" was a direct message to Stamkos almost.

This kinda reminds me of David Clarkson. There was all these murmurs and speculation that he wanted to go to the Leafs, and the Leafs wanted him and all that stuff.

There were people that said no, and some people who denied it... but it happened.

We wish we could deny it :cry:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I did truly believe at one point, that one of Tavares or Stamkos would make their way to Toronto at some point (not as a 35-40 year old either). Knowing a bit more about Tavares now then I did at the time - I don't think Tavares wants to live in the spotlight.

I think Stamkos is a possbility though. I wouldn't trade anything for him, but a free signing? If the price is right sure.

7 years at 8.5-9.5M per would be good. I think the Kane and Toews contracts at 10.5 were moronic.

We still need to lose quite a few bad contracts - specifically Bozak and Lupul come to mind.

I also hope that they understand we still need to rebuild even if we land Stamkos. Our back end is pretty awful, and requires 1-2 great defenseman back there.

That is also assuming that Brown, Marner, Nylander all pan out.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
My issue with Stamkos is that he needs significant offensive support which isn't what you want from a potentially 11+ million dollar player. We'd be better off with a possession driving Kopitar type than an opportunistic (good as he may be) goalscorer at that price range.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I did truly believe at one point, that one of Tavares or Stamkos would make their way to Toronto at some point (not as a 35-40 year old either). Knowing a bit more about Tavares now then I did at the time - I don't think Tavares wants to live in the spotlight.

I think Stamkos is a possbility though. I wouldn't trade anything for him, but a free signing? If the price is right sure.

7 years at 8.5-9.5M per would be good. I think the Kane and Toews contracts at 10.5 were moronic.

We still need to lose quite a few bad contracts - specifically Bozak and Lupul come to mind.

I also hope that they understand we still need to rebuild even if we land Stamkos. Our back end is pretty awful, and requires 1-2 great defenseman back there.

That is also assuming that Brown, Marner, Nylander all pan out.

With Gardiner and Rielly there, as well as Percy, Dermott, Loov, all coming up, I think there is a solid base.

However, we can use that other great piece there.

I wouldn't turn down Matthews, but I won't be mad if we end up 2nd/3rd and pick Chychrun

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My issue with Stamkos is that he needs significant offensive support which isn't what you want from a potentially 11+ million dollar player. We'd be better off with a possession driving Kopitar type than an opportunistic (good as he may be) goalscorer at that price range.

I'm not even sure if the salary is going to be that high.

When Kane and Toews signed their contracts, it was because everyone was sure the cap was going to go up quiet a bit.

That's gone now.

I don't think it'll take 10+.

I think he'll come in around 9.5M

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With Gardiner and Rielly there, as well as Percy, Dermott, Loov, all coming up, I think there is a solid base.

However, we can use that other great piece there.

I wouldn't turn down Matthews, but I won't be mad if we end up 2nd/3rd and pick Chychrun

Yeah, only problem is we have a lot of lefties there. Rielly has been able to transition to RD though okay.

I think we need a #1 though like Weber, Chara, Pronger, Hedman, Doughty etc. So hard to get.

I'd love Matthews, but if we end up with Chyrchun that would be awesome too.

I have thought about a scenario in which we signed Stamkos and landed Chyrchun.

JVR-Stamkos-Marner
?-Nylander-Brown
?-?-Winnik
Komarov-?-?

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Chyrchun-Rielly
Marcinin/Harrington/Percy/Loov

Problem is we need to dump Bozak and Lupul.

We could probably utilize Kadri as a chip shore up an area of weakness.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, only problem is we have a lot of lefties there. Rielly has been able to transition to RD though okay.

I think we need a #1 though like Weber, Chara, Pronger, Hedman, Doughty etc. So hard to get.

I'd love Matthews, but if we end up with Chyrchun that would be awesome too.

I have thought about a scenario in which we signed Stamkos and landed Chyrchun.

JVR-Stamkos-Marner
?-Nylander-Brown
?-?-Winnik
Komarov-?-?

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Chyrchun-Rielly
Marcinin/Harrington/Percy/Loov

Problem is we need to dump Bozak and Lupul.

We could probably utilize Kadri as a chip shore up an area of weakness.

Yeah, landing Stamkos and Chychrun is almost best case scenario.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga

Just realized next year is our centennial year so with my tin-foil hat on:
- We draft Chyrchun or Matthews
- We get Stamkos
- Promote Tier A prospects (Marner, Nylander) and some Tier B (Brown)
- We get an outdoor game, nhl all-star break, nhl draft
- we also make the playoffs (wink wink nudge nudge Bettman)

Calling it right now, we get all 6:naughty:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stamkos coming to Torknto all comes down to what cap hit he'd be willing to accept. Giving him a blank cheque is dumb - getting him for a fair deal works for both sides

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah. It's crazy with this season, outside of keeping an eye on Gardiner and Rielly at the NHL level, I have kind of said to myself "okay let's get this over with" and it's been more focused on the draft/our prospects, and hoping we're able to turn over more of the roster.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah. It's crazy with this season, outside of keeping an eye on Gardiner and Rielly at the NHL level, I have kind of said to myself "okay let's get this over with" and it's been more focused on the draft/our prospects, and hoping we're able to turn over more of the roster.

No doubt.

Winnik-Komarov may be the only bottom 6 guys here next year.

Lupul-Bozak are likely to be dealt if possible.

JVR-Kadri are possibilities to be gone as well. Likely depends on how their season goes. If they don't impress management, it's possible they are moved.

D wise, I think you see Percy and Loov on the main roster, likely with Gardiner and Rielly, as well as Phaneuf and Hunwick (unless someone makes a good offer - I don't think management signed him with the intention of dealing him, like other signings).

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If Stamkos wants to play in TO, then it really his choice but he will have to accept less than what other teams may offer. Its up to him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No doubt.

Winnik-Komarov may be the only bottom 6 guys here next year.

Lupul-Bozak are likely to be dealt if possible.

JVR-Kadri are possibilities to be gone as well. Likely depends on how their season goes. If they don't impress management, it's possible they are moved.

D wise, I think you see Percy and Loov on the main roster, likely with Gardiner and Rielly, as well as Phaneuf and Hunwick (unless someone makes a good offer - I don't think management signed him with the intention of dealing him, like other signings).

Only problem with Komarov is 2.95M is a lot of money to pay a 4th line type. I don't know if he's a 3rd liner on a legit team.

JVR-Kadri are certainly possibilities to be moved.

Hunwick I think surprised them, and Babcock loves him.

Haven't been impressed with Harrington or Marcinin really, I could see Harrington go down at one point in favor of giving Loov or Percy a chance.

If Stamkos wants to play in TO, then it really his choice but he will have to accept less than what other teams may offer. Its up to him.

Even if we offer him the same as Tampa Bay, he takes him less at the end of the day because he has better tax laws in Florida then in Ontario.

Swayze*

so he should take less money to play with a garbage franchise

:clap:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only problem with Komarov is 2.95M is a lot of money to pay a 4th line type. I don't know if he's a 3rd liner on a legit team.

JVR-Kadri are certainly possibilities to be moved.

Hunwick I think surprised them, and Babcock loves him.

Haven't been impressed with Harrington or Marcinin really, I could see Harrington go down at one point in favor of giving Loov or Percy a chance.

Forgot about Harrington. Marincin won't be here long IMO

Komarov is definitely a 3rd liner, and can even jump into the top 6 if absolutely needed. He's found his game again after a tough year last year, and is playing like he did 3 years ago, and even 2 years ago in the KHL.

He's had more scoring opportunities than anyone else if I'd have to guess. I'm sure there's actual numbers somewhere

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even if we offer him the same as Tampa Bay, he takes him less at the end of the day because he has better tax laws in Florida then in Ontario.

He'll get that made up + much more in endorsements.

He'd literally be the face of hockey

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Forgot about Harrington. Marincin won't be here long IMO

Komarov is definitely a 3rd liner, and can even jump into the top 6 if absolutely needed. He's found his game again after a tough year last year, and is playing like he did 3 years ago, and even 2 years ago in the KHL.

He's had more scoring opportunities than anyone else if I'd have to guess. I'm sure there's actual numbers somewhere

Don't think Komarov has the natural finishing touch to make it into the top 6, and it probably speaks to how poor a team we are.

Marcinin looks like he should be a player...but isn't. We can't neccessarily waste time on those types either, if Columbus is willing to send us a 4th (so we get a refund basically) for him i'd do it lol.

He'll get that made up + much more in endorsements.

He'd literally be the face of hockey

What other endorsements do you see him getting though?

Already has a hockey deal in place.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Don't think Komarov has the natural finishing touch to make it into the top 6, and it probably speaks to how poor a team we are.

Marcinin looks like he should be a player...but isn't. We can't neccessarily waste time on those types either, if Columbus is willing to send us a 4th (so we get a refund basically) for him i'd do it lol.

Yeah, if any team wants to give us a 4th, or even a 5th, I'd do it.

What other endorsements do you see him getting though?

Already has a hockey deal in place.

There's plenty out there, hockey and non-hockey and he'd be the first name on the list for everyone. He'd almost have his choice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, if any team wants to give us a 4th, or even a 5th, I'd do it.

There's plenty out there, hockey and non-hockey and he'd be the first name on the list for everyone. He'd almost have his choice.

Canadian Tire has Toews

Tim's has Crosby/Nate

Pizza Pizza has Bautista in place, do they want another athlete?

Burger King? Wendys? I probably need to think bigger picture.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If even 4 of these 8 things happen before the start of next year, I will be ecstatic.

1. Trade Phaneuf for a decent return (I.e no retention +pick/prospect/future)
2. Marner has a stellar year in the O and World Jrs.
3. Nylander rips up the AHL, the team is an overall positive environment
4. Leafs have a strong deadline, more picks in the upcoming draft.
5. Matthews or Chychrun are drafted by the Maple Leafs
6. Stamkos signs a lengthy but fair contract in Toronto
7. Babcock has instilled a new winning mindset, players buy in.
8. Prospects start to push for roster spots

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just realized next year is our centennial year so with my tin-foil hat on:
- We draft Chyrchun or Matthews
- We get Stamkos
- Promote Tier A prospects (Marner, Nylander) and some Tier B (Brown)
- We get an outdoor game, nhl all-star break, nhl draft
- we also make the playoffs (wink wink nudge nudge Bettman)

Calling it right now, we get all 6:naughty:

I wouldn't count on Matthews or Chychrun at this point.
1st there is a lottery for the 3 spots and 2nd, judging from the early (yes I know it's early) struggles of certain teams, I think there will be much more competition for the bottom 5 than we thought. Everyone thought it was a clear case of Arizona sucks, the rest will be better. Not starting that way. I thought we were clear cut bottom 5 but now, I think we may be the 7-8-9 team in the NHL. Columbus stinks,NJ can't score, Carolina is always up and down, Edmonton still has free fall attached, Boston is a Chara,slumping Rask away from crashing, Arizona could come back to Earth, I'm not sold on Buffalo etc.
We could end up in the same no mans land we didn't want to be in when we had Kessel. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad