OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Apropos of nothing, 98.5's Joe Murray is painful to listen to. I don't know what inspired him to get into radio but he is awful at it
Problem with him is he has the ESPN syndrome. They’re broadcasters became the story. We get it, you smoke weed and take gummies. Wear a different hat and stop trying to be like Felger.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Felger stirs the pot and is a master troll but leans more curious than judgemental

The 10-2 show is trash and Bertrand is primary reason
Felger is not a broadcaster...... it's why nobody watches Felger's radio simulcast..... why waste that blowhard on BST and everyone loves Holley on there..... Holley's better but gets stuck with that troll

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Felger is not a broadcaster...... it's why nobody watches Felger's radio simulcast..... why waste that blowhard on BST and everyone loves Holley on there..... Holley's better but gets stuck with that troll
Holley is prob the best sports guy in Boston. Best radio guy and tv right now. WEEI sure misses him. Very open minded and his thoughts are well thought out.

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
Tough crowd. Joe Murray’s hockey takes are awful but love his combo betting/food takes on the weekends. I guess I’m just numb from years of sports radio but it’s pure entertainment and background noise in my garage or driving around. Enjoy the Murray’s (Gasper and Murray) on the weekend, hockey show, the occasional Flynn/Johnson with Johnston. I like Hardy, Zo, Keefe. They get a laugh out of me like the characters on Seinfeld so maybe I’m a different breed.

I have to admit I share Felgers disdain for the NBA and streaming. I enjoy it until the yelling is constantly cycled between the northeast men’s clinic commercials that make me want to jump out the window

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
felger is the only one i listen to.
hes a huuge bs fan.
ive chatted with him at so many games when i had season tickets

felger is the only one i listen to.
hes a huuge bs fan.
ive chatted with him at so many games when i had season tickets
SINCE Rask was Felger's fanboy.... not so much now btw, Mike how about those Wisconsin Badgers/ Milwaukee Bucks.....

Reactions: MyNameIsJonas

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
RIP Fred Hickman (Turner Sports) 1956-2022; the original host of Inside the NBA ON TNT (Before EJ/Shaq/Charles/Kenny made it household and successful
Fred Hickman passed away yesterday at the age off 66.

In the 80's CNN's Sports Tonight hosted by Hickman, Nick Charles, Jim Huber and many others was the most watched sports highlight show every night at 11 PM. The Gulf War of 1991 changed that and ESPN Sportscenter then took over.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I was talking with my daughter (22 y.o.) about how different it was being a sports fan prior to the internet.

A couple of bullet points of our conversation that she was just amazed about.

1. During my childhood you were lucky if you got to see a California team in baseball, basketball or hockey play 2 games a year. I knew about Steve Garvey, Pedro Guerrero, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor, etc. But rarely got to see them play.

2. When I was in college I would drive from Lawrence to Newburyport (60 minutes round trip) just to pick up the Hockey News, because for some reason it was delivered there 2 days earlier than in any town closer to me. The big pull was being able to see the stats for all of the players in the league, which of course were out of date by the time it was printed on Sunday or Monday.

3. I vividly remember by former boss telling me about the new feature that CNN was using ---the crawl at the bottom of their feed that provided the scores from that night. This was an amazing feature that meant you didn't need to wait until the 11:00 news to get scores. That was 1993 -- I didn't have internet in my home until 94 or so.

4. Speaking of the 11:00 news ----- If I remember correctly, the first 15 minutes was dedicated to news. Then some commercial time. Then weather for 3-4 minutes then sports for probably 10 minutes or so. They typically gave every score from all sports and a ton of highlights. Watching the 11:00 news was a huge deal, as there was only maybe a noon and 6pm news cast each day and obviously you'd only get scores and highlights from the day before during these.

I don't know if things were better during those simpler times, but the memories sure are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad