OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I was talking with my daughter (22 y.o.) about how different it was being a sports fan prior to the internet.

A couple of bullet points of our conversation that she was just amazed about.

1. During my childhood you were lucky if you got to see a California team in baseball, basketball or hockey play 2 games a year. I knew about Steve Garvey, Pedro Guerrero, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor, etc. But rarely got to see them play.

2. When I was in college I would drive from Lawrence to Newburyport (60 minutes round trip) just to pick up the Hockey News, because for some reason it was delivered there 2 days earlier than in any town closer to me. The big pull was being able to see the stats for all of the players in the league, which of course were out of date by the time it was printed on Sunday or Monday.

3. I vividly remember by former boss telling me about the new feature that CNN was using ---the crawl at the bottom of their feed that provided the scores from that night. This was an amazing feature that meant you didn't need to wait until the 11:00 news to get scores. That was 1993 -- I didn't have internet in my home until 94 or so.

4. Speaking of the 11:00 news ----- If I remember correctly, the first 15 minutes was dedicated to news. Then some commercial time. Then weather for 3-4 minutes then sports for probably 10 minutes or so. They typically gave every score from all sports and a ton of highlights. Watching the 11:00 news was a huge deal, as there was only maybe a noon and 6pm news cast each day and obviously you'd only get scores and highlights from the day before during these.

I don't know if things were better during those simpler times, but the memories sure are good.
#2 and #4 all day!

Babajingo

Sports Final leads with the Patriots, who didn't play this week. Then start talking about the Dolphins.
How about that? The Miami Dolphins get priority over the Bruins and Celtics.
I wonder how these guys (Burton, Reiss, ...) feel about being the PR department for the Krafts.

I know, its a different world.

Reactions: chizzler

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sports Final leads with the Patriots, who didn't play this week. Then start talking about the Dolphins.
How about that? The Miami Dolphins get priority over the Bruins and Celtics.
I wonder how these guys (Burton, Reiss, ...) feel about being the PR department for the Krafts.

I know, its a different world.
Burton’s dad was a former Patriot and his Foundation does a shit ton of work with the Pats. he knows nothing but football.

the Bruins just got less than 15 minutes of Bruins talk and now it is time to make fun of Wallach calling the Celtics game Saturday and bitch about how he’s calling a boatload of games this season and will be absent from the show. Fred still hates the Bruins for some reason and with Rich out bc his wife has been sick, there is no one to drown him out.

Reactions: Babajingo

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Zolak & Bertrand talking hockey at its finest the past half hour -.-

Attachments

• 20221114_121111.jpg
    20221114_121111.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
seeing michael holley on toucher and rich was basically seeing hogan join the nwo

Was great hearing him. I’m glad he’s happy doing tv. Always seemed like the most level-headed guy in town. Good memories of listening to Dale and Holley mid-days. One of the all time great shows in Boston radio

Reactions: chizzler

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Conor Ryan on Bruins/NHL - Thursday at 2 p.m.​

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NOT Sports Media but:

Tegna announces retirement of Newscenter Maine anchor Pat Callaghan after 43 years effective 12/9/22;

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Yet another example of 98.5 trying far too hard to be contrarian.

The idiot also pushing NJ over Boston as well.

The title on the TV is "Bruins have won 17 of 19 games... and Jones is still not convinced"

And one of the clowns is arguing the NHL should rescind Bergeron's 1000th point because it wasn't a valid assist.

How is no one above this level questioning this agenda and its image? This is why it's an insufferable show and not worth anything.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yet another example of 98.5 trying far too hard to be contrary and.

The title on the TV is "Bruins have won 17 of 19 games... and Jones is still not convinced"

And one of the clowns is arguing the NHL should rescind Bergeron's 1000th point because it wasn't a valid assist.

How is no one above this level questioning this agenda and its image? This is why it's an insufferable show and not worth anything.
I wish the team would yank the games off the station since they refuse to talk about them and when they do it is only to discredit them and push the narrative that they can't beat Tampa when it really counts.

It is truly gross

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I wish the team would yank the games off the station since they refuse to talk about them and when they do it is only to discredit them and push the narrative that they can't beat Tampa when it really counts.

It is truly gross
Where else would they go though? EEI? f*** them for eternity.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
#2 and #4 all day!

So true, all of it.

Even so, I doubt I would travel 30 minutes each way for an "advance" copy of... The Hockey News. I only subscribed because of (scant) Bruins coverage. One boring publication. *That's* how hard up I was for B's features/news.

OT: Ask kids today very basic questions relative to American history & civics. They have absolutely no clue.

You know why?

Because civics is no longer taught, never mind required, in American high schools. Why this happened, I don't know. It's spectacularly stupid, short sighted, and (yes) dangerous, and it's been the case for at least 20 years.

I get angry every time I think about it. If I ever find out who is responsible, I'll wring their neck.

It's easy to see why young people are so ignorant of their own history. Unacceptable.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

It is truly gross
The management should at least require them to not troll for responses as it makes their hosted team look terrible.

Imagine debating on whether the NHL should rescind Bergeron's 1,000th point. Embarrassing.

It doesn't need to be NESN level homerism but have integrity.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yet another example of 98.5 trying far too hard to be contrarian.

I never watch the mid-day show anymore but they don't really know squat about the Bruins or hockey in general.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
So true, all of it.

Even so, I doubt I would travel 30 minutes each way for an "advance" copy of... The Hockey News. I only subscribed because of (scant) Bruins coverage. One boring publication. *That's* how hard up I was for B's features/news.

OT: Ask kids today very basic questions relative to American history & civics. They have absolutely no clue.

You know why?

Because civics is no longer taught, never mind required, in American high schools. Why this happened, I don't know. It's spectacularly stupid, short sighted, and (yes) dangerous, and it's been the case for at least 20 years.

I get angry every time I think about it. If I ever find out who is responsible, I'll wring their neck.

It's easy to see why young people are so ignorant of their own history. Unacceptable.
This isn't true in Massachusetts. In fact, EVERY high school junior, as of this school year, will be required to do an action civics project. We built a whole course around the project at my school. The first half of the year is spent learning how to engage with the decision-makers in our communities to facilitate some sort of change, based on the kids' interests. The second half is spent trying to make the change they want to see.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This isn't true in Massachusetts. In fact, EVERY high school junior, as of this school year, will be required to do an action civics project. We built a whole course around the project at my school. The first half of the year is spent learning how to engage with the decision-makers in our communities to facilitate some sort of change, based on the kids' interests. The second half is spent trying to make the change they want to see.

Huzzah!

Very heartening to hear. And, to be a provincial snob, *of course* Because MA.

I'll check myself, but any idea if civics is making a comeback elsewhere?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Action Civics?

That sounds like Campaign 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad